Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-19-06, 03:33 PM   #13
UDawg
Retired spammer

Default Re: LotRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lIqUID
I got in the beta as well, and the game is crap in my opinion. I think Ive played it maybe one day and havent touched it since.

Now WoW:BC beta is where its at!
Word!
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-06, 07:25 PM   #14
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhast
I was in the Vanguard beta. I am not anymore. When I was in the beta it was a poor game. I know its beta but you can tell alot about a game at that point. Its not going to be popular like WoW. I never thought it would be. This game is missing alot of fun factors. When I played it I felt it was a job 100% of the time. Nothing in the game inspires me at all. Player housing sounds interesting though. With that said I just went back to WoW after taking 4 months off after playing for over a year. As of now I am playing around before the release of the expansion pack. I am having alot of fun.
It amazes me how people can be in early beta, and write off a game (Vanguard). A "Friend" of mine told me that the game has come a long way since beta 2.5/3.0. They have added tons of content, continue to tweak, etc. I'll likely be playing this at launch, as currently it appeals to me more than LOTRO, however I'll probably give it a shot anyway as I am a Tolkein fan. I'm also looking forward to upcoming MMO's including Stargate Worlds (I think thats the name) and STO (Star Trek Online). Hopefully those will be space MMO's not F*cked up like SWG was...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-06, 07:32 PM   #15
|MaguS|

nrdstrm you gotta hit me up when some decent MMOs release... Im desperate for an MMO... Im even debating returning to WoW.
Old 12-19-06, 07:54 PM   #16
glObalist
working as intended

Warhammer Online is about the only upcomming MMO that's holding my interest right now. Maybe Age of Conan as well, but not so sure about that one.

Must... not... return to... WoW...
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-06, 10:52 PM   #17
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
It amazes me how people can be in early beta, and write off a game (Vanguard). A "Friend" of mine told me that the game has come a long way since beta 2.5/3.0. They have added tons of content, continue to tweak, etc. I'll likely be playing this at launch, as currently it appeals to me more than LOTRO, however I'll probably give it a shot anyway as I am a Tolkein fan. I'm also looking forward to upcoming MMO's including Stargate Worlds (I think thats the name) and STO (Star Trek Online). Hopefully those will be space MMO's not F*cked up like SWG was...
LotRO didn't hold my attention. They are in the stress test phase. I just didn't like it. I won't do betas for Warhammer or Connan because I really want to play them as a finished game. I will give Vanguard a shot.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-06, 08:59 AM   #18
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
I will give Vanguard a shot.
Just FYI, the minimum requirements of the game atm are dual 8800GTX's and has graphics worse than EQ 2. Not only that, but this is the type game that makes you want to punch the first person you see in the face due to how aggrivating they make it. EQ 1 is was hard, but at the same time challenging and fun. Vanguard is hard, but at the same time extremely aggrivating, boring, and stupid. Vanguard is an example what happens when you let everyone have a sayso of what an MMO game should be like. It has some aspects that are cool and then some aspects that are COMPLETELY random that don't even fit in the game. I can only imagine working at Sigil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your average day at Sigil games

Random guy 1: "Hey Brad, I think this game should be dedicated towards REAL PC gamers. Lets give it extreme requirements! If the kids can't afford a PC to run the game, they won't play it! More fun for us old folks!"

Brad McQuaid: "sure thing, great idea!"

Random guy 2: "Hey Brad, in this game its too hard to find quest NPCs. Lets give EVERY quest NPC a BIG stupid Logo on top of its head. Considering we will have kids playing the game(who can't read), a BIG anoying logo would be an excellent choice! Lets make it easy for them!"

Brad: "I thought you guys didn't want kids on this game? Either way, SURE that idea is great! More kids on our game!"

Random guy 3: "Hey Brad, we need a million useless skills for each class! That way, we can weed out all the kids who want to have fun on the game! We will require then to change out skills EVERY FREAKING LEVEL! Less fun = less kids playing!"

Brad: "Right... ... yes... Less kids on our game. Make it so!"

Random guy 4: "Hey Brad! This zombie is WAY to ****ing hard! Kids will be playing this game, we need it to be easy!!! One hit should kill it!"

Brad: "Excellent idea! I love how you think. We need this game to have kids so that we will be popular!"

Random guy 5: "Hey brad! This peon rat is WAY too easy! This game is for ADULTS in case you haven't noticed! This rat should have an AREA EFFECT super death spell that KILLS anything within a 50 yard radius every time it wiggles its whiskers!"

Brad: "Yes, the adults will love the fact we have THE MOST POWERFUL RAT EVER IN AN MMORPG! It will show that our game TRUELY is meant for us old people
!"
Random guy 6: "Hey Brad! I think bards are overpowered in ALL games due to their speed. Even though the entire point of a bard is to be the fastest thing on foot, lets throw these bards a curve ball! Lets make their bard speed VERY slow, barely faster than run and MUCH slower than a horse! Kids LOVE ridding horses! If bards don't want to ride horses, less kids will play! We can't have that happen!"

Brad: "I see your point. We do need more people to use horses. If bards are fast they probably won't play horses. We only have 30 classes in Vanguard. If bards don't use horses, that means 3-4% of the population won't use a horse! That number is far too great!!!! EVERYONE needs a horse! The kids will LOVE seeing EVERY FREAKING PERSON THEY SEE riding a horse!!! Great Idea! Do it!"

Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-06, 09:09 AM   #19
superklye

I'd like to meet Brad...

And punch his crotch off.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-06, 06:57 PM   #20
xdaishanx

Nd , I a "was" looking forward to VG for a long time , I am more than willing and patient with "beta" issues as I have been in many and know what to expect -

"beta" issues are not extreme game design changes weekly , massive missing content , and a general lack of any direction this close to launch

EQ2 did the same thing - launched in a pathetic , rushed state without true high level content and with many spells being patched in the week before launch without testing - it was crap at launch

It's a good game now though but many will never give it a shot due to it's launch state and the press around it - look at IGN and other sites who say it's one of the most improved games around - it is and I give them that - but it says a lot about how crappy they launched it also

I see VG doing the same thing - I used to be a big Brad fan and believer - now with his and other attitudes of "we will add this later" and "we dont have Blizzard's money" and so on I say once the NDA comes down the bad press and reviews will make it's launch be much smaller than anticipated

Again the die hard EQ types are pissed at the "wowification" of it and the die hard WoW fans will think it's too tedious -

Like it or not they touted "the original EQ devs" as the makers of VG and are now trying to steer away from that in some half mixed crap of a game

Theoretically of course

Now I pin my hopes on Warhammer Online as a secondary game or possibly Age of Conan to go along with WoW

One day their will be someone brave enough to truly make and "EQ 2" as it still hasnt been done
xdaishanx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-06, 07:51 PM   #21
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdaishanx
One day their will be someone brave enough to truly make an "EQ 2" as it still hasnt been done
This is what I am waiting on. Probably will never happen though.
Old 12-20-06, 09:53 PM   #22
xdaishanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
This is what I am waiting on. Probably will never happen though.

I think it's possible but still a few years off - probably will take a cycle of VG's and other games who attempt to go middle of the road between WoW and EQ and fail or flop - Warhammer Online has a decent shot at taking on WoW style and flourishing - by no means replacing but certainly surviving

Eventually a dev and producer will realize that there is a definite 200k-500k niche of old style EQ players who will gladly support a game that starts like that in mind and STAYS (cough VG copout) that way

I would have no issue paying 20-30 dollars a month to play a true "world" or sandbox style EQish type game that could care less about catering to the masses - and I think there are many others who played UO and EQ who would - double the subscription price for a truly good game and both sides would be happy - producers and players

(again nothing wrong with that WoW style game and I enjoy it - I just want both styles and an option for a true EQ sequel - not a mix and bland watering down of it )
xdaishanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-06, 10:09 AM   #23
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

just reinstalled vanguard beta... might try it out tonight. I haven't logged on in 2-3 months. Maybe they have made it more fun? highly doubt it.
Old 12-22-06, 10:53 AM   #24
Masq

It definitely runs better now(not like butter though). Tyger, I'd say give it another shot.
Vista x64 Ultimate
XBL Gamertag = l33tsawse

Last edited by Masq; 12-22-06 at 11:07 AM.
Masq is offline   Reply With Quote