Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-15-06, 03:36 PM   #1
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Default Microsoft needs to get their act together.

Ok, before I write my story let me say, evilchris, we all know you have had a system since launch, without a lock-up, a freezez, a reboot, for "18-games and counting", so you need not post that information here.

I bought a premium system in april of 06, got the "rings of death" two months ago. (Started with the cliched lock-up's, which eventually turned to the rings)

The warranty was passed it's 90 days, so the customer rep basically told me send us the system and $150 or get f*cked.

I've heard most people that do this end up with refurbs that end up frying again a few months later, so I went with my own call.

I went out and bought a basic system, the $299.99 version, since I already have a hard drive and wireless controller from the premium system....saves me money, etc.

THE FIRST TIME I booted up this new system, it froze...I knew right there it would die eventually. And it did. For a month I would get the rings every time I booted the machine. I would have to turn the machine off 3 times for the lights to go away and the dashboard/game to finally load and play. Annoying, but I dealt with it since it worked.

Yesterday morning the rings of death appeared and this time, no loud fan noise accompanied it. I knew what had happened since I have been through this before.

Lucky this time I bought a 2 year warranty from best buy. So I went back and exchanged the system with another basic system

(and let me tell you how annoying the geek squad is there, testing my system, then making accusations that I dropped it because it made a rattling noise (which was a dvd stuck in the tray) but whatever)

So I exchanged it last night. Bring the new one home and BAM, red lights at first boot and frozen screen! AWESOME! Microsoft for teh win.

So 3 bad system since April.

I understand first gen tech having trouble, but it's been over a year now, this is just ridiculous.

I'm going back to best buy tonight and see if I can get store credit and grab a Wii when they stock up. 360 is a fantastic system, but the hardware is much too unreliable for me to continue using.

Why are they still having so many problems plague their systems? Obviously there's a problem. I know people who havent had a problem will say its a small percentage because their only basing it on their own experience, but if you google 360 dead hardware, your gonna find alot of stories like mine.

It's great they have the first unreal engine 3.0 game(s), it's great they have an awesome online service, it's great they have a hd dvd player you can buy seperately, I love that there's so many pc/360 accessories out you can use for either. What sucks is none of this really matters when your system constantly dies and your forced to pack it all up and take it back for an exchange every so often.

I'm not saying ps3 is better or wii is better, this isnt a fan boy making 360 sound like crap cause he loves sony or nintendo. This is a guy who loves his 360 and is frustrated with Microsofts inability to manufacture systems that wont fry after a month.
SeriTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 03:53 PM   #2
Moo
*BANNNED*

Default Re: Microsoft needs to get their act together.

I have a 360 since launch day, and not a single problem so far.

The fact you are getting 3 toasted machines... may be due to brown-outs, or just really bad luck?

Do you have your AV components linked to a surge protector?
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 04:10 PM   #3
Lyme

Could be lots of things, but more than likely it is the setup rather than the consoles.
a) It is stuck in a place without adequate ventilation, like a AV unit.
b) The power in his place sucks (mis wiring is normal).
c) Putting the unit on top of a large speaker, or such (I've seen pictures).
d) etc..

Sorry Seritonin but one I can belive, two is odd, three is quite extreme.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 04:12 PM   #4
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle

Dude, that's nothing more than bad luck.... If everyone's systems would break as soon as they buy them, you wouldn't think more people would be pissed?

I don't know what kind of a response you're looking for here, I dunno.... sucks to be you I guess.

BTW Lyme, I keep my 360 on top of my sub, and although it's supposed to be bad because of the magnets and stuff, I haven't seen many problems.
Old 12-15-06, 04:15 PM   #5
LurkerLito

I have to say that sounds like really bad luck. I don't have a launch day system but never really had an issue. Are you putting the 360 in a cabinet or near your heating system? I think the 360 is the one system I'd avoid putting in either of those places. I know I had a few gfx glitches in the summer but now that it is winter and I keep the room at < 70F it is rock solid with no glitches at all. I didn't use the 360 that much in the summer and used it only for short periods of time if the room exceeded 80F.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 04:18 PM   #6
Euphoria
--- eŁphorÔŚ ---

I've had my 360 from the launch day and not a single freeze, ring of death, etc. etc... You either have some problem with the power in your house which is damaging your equipment or you are the unluckiest guy I've heard off... Sorry about that, and I hope you have better luck in the future
Euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 04:35 PM   #7
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

"There is nothing wrong with the 360...I repeat...there is nothing wrong with the 360. All lies made up by Sony"
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 04:44 PM   #8
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

My system has fine cooling. Since my first 360 I bought a cooler from nyko. (Not that it seems to do any good) I have it next to my window, where a nice cool breeze comes in from the loud cold winds of the midwest.

I suppose it's just bad luck. I wasn't looking for an answer. Just needed to vent. Just quite annoying.

I have an APC surge protector for my PC and one for the 360....I have a cooler for the 360, I take care of my stuff. I'm not keeping it in a shelf, condensed, running up to 170 degrees.

I guess it's just really sh*tty luck, but that pic never gets old s.i.n, made me laugh, I guess thats the best thing I could ask for out of this thread, a smile, so thank you.

Oh and P.S, I have moved since the first bad 360, so I dont see it being an electrical problem in my house, especially considering im running 2 pc's, each with 650 watt psu's and high end gpu's ...and those run like champs, as does my ps2, original xbox, gamecube, etc.

I dont think my electrical circuits decided to just kill my 360 continuously, microsoft needs to tell all those 11 year olds in malaysia to start putting these things together better or else cut there pay from 13 cents an hour to 7. Ok bad joke..
SeriTonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-06, 05:06 PM   #9
evilchris

Yeah, I hate that electronics are made overseas. Not that foreigners can't build good stuff, but the overseas operations are there to cut costs and nothing else.

I don't trust any electronics these days. It's funny, my high end Sony displays are actually made in Philadelphia. They don't have problems. Even Sony wouldn't dare move their top tier display manufacturing out of the US. USA/Canada made is the best imo.
Old 12-15-06, 05:55 PM   #10
shungokusatsu
Crysis Ready

Send a message via AIM to shungokusatsu

Got my unit at Zero Hour on launch day. It worked fine until the R6 demo off live. Constant freezes and system crashes with that demo. Got gears of war, the game doesn't like my system, nonstop crashes ever since. I call MS tech support, they make you go through hell, they do not want to give up that RMA console. It took over a week for them to get my RMA going, a week of talking to them every god damn day for over an hour testing complete bs. They kept trying to push me me to believe it wasn't a serious issue and was due to "d/ling too much contant off XBL" while another tech told me it was my "wireless network adapter causing the lock-ups". They top that AOL cancelation call.
4 GB CORSAIR Dominator 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1250 (PC2 10000)
3X EVGA 8800 GTX Ultra Superclocked SLI
2X WD Raptor X 150GB SATA 10,000 rpm 16MB Cache Raid 0
Creative Labs Inspire T7900 7.1 surround sound
PC Power and Cooling T12W 1200 watts
Thermaltake Black Kandalf Case
Dell 3007 WFP XHD 30"
shungokusatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 06:20 PM   #11
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shungokusatsu
Got my unit at Zero Hour on launch day. It worked fine until the R6 demo off live. Constant freezes and system crashes with that demo. Got gears of war, the game doesn't like my system, nonstop crashes ever since. I call MS tech support, they make you go through hell, they do not want to give up that RMA console. It took over a week for them to get my RMA going, a week of talking to them every god damn day for over an hour testing complete bs. They kept trying to push me me to believe it wasn't a serious issue and was due to "d/ling too much contant off XBL" while another tech told me it was my "wireless network adapter causing the lock-ups". They top that AOL cancelation call.
Really? That sounds odd, I just got a new 360 because my old one didn't recognize some of the media disks.... but never froze, and all games worked fine. I actually thought the opposite, that they are willing to give new ones too easily heh.
Old 12-15-06, 06:39 PM   #12
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by shungokusatsu
What I do when dealing with any tech support is just say " doesn't power up ". Instant RMA.