Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-15-06, 06:58 PM   #13
Lyme

Default Re: Microsoft needs to get their act together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriTonin
My system has fine cooling. Since my first 360 I bought a cooler from nyko. (Not that it seems to do any good) I have it next to my window, where a nice cool breeze comes in from the loud cold winds of the midwest.
Hate to tell you this, there have been reports of 360s dying directly because of the use of Nyko coolers.. http://forums.gameinformer.com/gi/bo...sage.id=124580
http://crunchgear.com/2006/10/27/nyk...-for-xbox-360/
http://www.elektriq.com/articles/nyk...ler-complaints
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread...=471014&page=4

So we know why your 2nd and 3rd 360 died.

Also do not put your 360 on a sub.. Think about it.. your playing alot of bass and rumble.. you want the 360 hard drive bouncing around like that? No, you don't.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 08:56 PM   #14
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle

My bass doesn't rumble, I never play it that loud.... plus its not right on the sub, it's laying on another box that is right on top of the sub. It's not like I like leaving it there, unfortunately it's my only option.
Old 12-15-06, 09:19 PM   #15
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikneedle
It's not like I like leaving it there, unfortunately it's my only option.
As things are, your choice, you get to live with the consequences (if any).
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 09:21 PM   #16
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
As things are, your choice, you get to live with the consequences (if any).
heh im already on my 3rd 360... i dont mind. i still got another year worth of warranty. If the one I just got breaks or has some weird problems, I'll consider moving it.... but for now, its not really vibrating, which would be the only thing to make me wanna move it.
Old 12-16-06, 01:15 AM   #17
LycosV

I too have a 360 that I've had for quite a while now with no problems *knocks on wood* but like others here have said I would have to guess some sort of problem with your setup. It could be a run of bad luck but you may want to try running the game w/o the hard drive. You said that you are using the same hard drive for all three systems; carried it over from the first one. The 360 is designed to run w/o a hard drive and it might be worth a shot to see if it makes a difference. Less moving parts at once means less of a chance that something there is causing a problem.

edit: Also a surge protector does not a UPS make. If you are getting line dips (always a possibility in the midwest) a surge protector won't help you, only a UPS unit with batteries can.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-06, 04:52 AM   #18
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

My first Xbox 360 died on me after less than two months of mild use. It was made in the first week of october '05 as most of the defective units which were made during the initial weeks.

But that ill fated machine gave me troubles very soon with random crashes and a couple of "red rings of death" so I knew it was only a matter of time. My replaced unit (a new console manufactured in Jan '06) is working flawlessy, it went through an hot summer and dozens of hours of gaming and I never experienced another crash or lockup (except when using Oblivion but that's a known uh... feature of that game).

If your consoles work well through the initial months and then suddenly die the problem might be elsewhere. Consoles affected by overheating start to crash more and more frequently before going for good. It's really no differenent from PC which suffers from bad ventilation or a faulty heatsink/fan. Same for disc reading errors or HD failures. They rarely happen all of the sudden, instead there are warning signs well in advance.

I'm sorry to hear your story but Microsoft cheap manufacturing probably is not the only culprit.

[OT] On a side note, this image makes me rofl each time I see it

XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-06, 10:43 AM   #19
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxyz
My first Xbox 360 died on me after less than two months of mild use. It was made in the first week of october '05 as most of the defective units which were made during the initial weeks.

But that ill fated machine gave me troubles very soon with random crashes and a couple of "red rings of death" so I knew it was only a matter of time. My replaced unit (a new console manufactured in Jan '06) is working flawlessy, it went through an hot summer and dozens of hours of gaming and I never experienced another crash or lockup (except when using Oblivion but that's a known uh... feature of that game).

If your consoles work well through the initial months and then suddenly die the problem might be elsewhere. Consoles affected by overheating start to crash more and more frequently before going for good. It's really no differenent from PC which suffers from bad ventilation or a faulty heatsink/fan. Same for disc reading errors or HD failures. They rarely happen all of the sudden, instead there are warning signs well in advance.

I'm sorry to hear your story but Microsoft cheap manufacturing probably is not the only culprit.
Well, most of the failures of early 360's were due to the hardware failure of the memory chips inside. MS got a whole bad batch of memory chips from some German company (forgot the name) and that's what most of the failures were attributed to.

Two red lights represent overheating, three red lights represent hardware failure.
Old 12-16-06, 01:57 PM   #20
Tanith

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikneedle
Well, most of the failures of early 360's were due to the hardware failure of the memory chips inside. MS got a whole bad batch of memory chips from some German company (forgot the name)
Infineon
Tanith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-06, 02:15 PM   #21
ViN86

i had one freeze in NFS:MW but after a restart it was ok. i just played CoD3 for like 4 hours and it was flawless
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 06:46 AM   #22
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriTonin
My system has fine cooling. Since my first 360 I bought a cooler from nyko. (Not that it seems to do any good)
you know that the nyko cooler actually increases the chances of your system failing. go over to the [H]ardforum, and see the number of ppl that have had systems die because of the nyko cooler, ppl that have the system out in the open, well vented and have the cooler, seem to die to, the stupid thing just forces air in (no exhaust), so the heat remains in the system. dunno if you've been using that or not on the past 3 systems, but you might want to avoid it on future ones

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 07:22 AM   #23
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N

"There is nothing wrong with the S.I.N Intelligence...I repeat...there is nothing wrong with the S.I.N Intelligence. Its all lies.”
Old 12-18-06, 08:12 AM   #24
ralinn
Masters

I'm on my 3rd. When I sent it back the first time, they sent me back one that didn't even boot (instant 3 red lights). Would be nice if they actually tested the ones they are about to send...

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote