Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-23-06, 03:12 AM   #37
Grestorn
nHancer

Default Re: New nHancer version 2.1.0 and website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsam
i cant install the new one because the old one will not uninstall...grrrr.....but man do i love this program...ive said it before and i will say it again...nvidia should buy you and your program out and give you a million to make it there own.
What happens if you try to uninstall it?

To unintall it manuall, start regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall

Click on the "Uninstall" folder and select Edit->Find. Search for "nHancer".

It should find an entry within a subfolder with a large number (the "global unique id", something in the form of {EC446C59-D0E3-47D6-A287-61B8658CFA1D}, but the numbers will differ). If you delete that whole folder, nHancer will be gone from your "Add/Remove Software" panel. Afterwards, you should be able to reinstall it.

But please double check that you don't delete the wrong folder. It has to be the folder that contains the entries for nHancer.

X6800 @ 3300 - Asus P5N32-SLI SE - 2x 8800 GTX SLI
Grestorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-06, 04:58 AM   #38
Grestorn
nHancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM
No, 1.2.2 does, 2.1.0 does not. However, with all the fuzz of reinstalling stuff I now broke the ancient game Sanitarium so Sanitarium say I need Direct Draw to play the game. Im making progress! There's something fishy going on here.
Just to inform all of you: JemyM was able to track down the problem:

If you ever happen to get the error message from nHancer, that there is no Forceware driver installed on your system, you should check if there's any software installed on your system that interferes with the driver architecture. In his case, it was VNC, a tool to control a PC remotely.

If you need to do such a thing, I'd recomment using MS' own remote control service. I know that this is not always appropriate (no non-Windows client, not being able to take over the current session without an invitation from the user on the desktop etc.), but it's using the proper technologies and much more compatible than VNC.

Old 12-23-06, 04:11 PM   #39
retsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grestorn
What happens if you try to uninstall it?

To unintall it manuall, start regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall

Click on the "Uninstall" folder and select Edit->Find. Search for "nHancer".

It should find an entry within a subfolder with a large number (the "global unique id", something in the form of {EC446C59-D0E3-47D6-A287-61B8658CFA1D}, but the numbers will differ). If you delete that whole folder, nHancer will be gone from your "Add/Remove Software" panel. Afterwards, you should be able to reinstall it.

But please double check that you don't delete the wrong folder. It has to be the folder that contains the entries for nHancer.
thanks, i going to give it a try.
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 03:54 PM   #40
darrenj

Can this improve performances of Splinter Cell Double Agent on my rig?
(7800GT 470/1100)

Antec 900 Gamer case
Gigabyte P35 DS4 rev 1.1
Core 2 Duo E8400@4ghz
Corsair 2x2048 dominator 8500CD
ATI Powercolor 4870 1024mb
Maxter 300gig 16mb SATAII
Western Digital Cavier 200gig IDE
Corsair 520W
darrenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-07, 10:25 PM   #41
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

I've never used Nhancer so I have a couple of questions.

One thing I never liked in the Nvidia new control panel is it would not let you remove game profiles. Each time I un-installed new drivers I went through the routine of editing the "nvapps.xml" file (saved and copy/pasted mine to replace Nvidia's) so I could get rid of all the Nvidia profiles I never used and just had my own in there. It looks like in the screenshot that Nhancer does let you remove profiles? If so, do you have to also go through the process each time new drivers are installed to manually remove all those you don't want again one by one? If not, it would be really nice for Nhancer to have some kind of option to carry over your own profiles (overwriting Nvidia's) each time new drivers were installed.

Question 2. Does Nhancer allow setting a refresh rate for each game profile? If not, it would be a wonderful thing to have. Dunno why Nvidia never had an option like that. To my knowledge, only Ray Adams ATT Tools had that option. I really loved it when I had my ATI card.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 03:44 AM   #42
Grestorn
nHancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89
One thing I never liked in the Nvidia new control panel is it would not let you remove game profiles. Each time I un-installed new drivers I went through the routine of editing the "nvapps.xml" file (saved and copy/pasted mine to replace Nvidia's) so I could get rid of all the Nvidia profiles I never used and just had my own in there. It looks like in the screenshot that Nhancer does let you remove profiles? If so, do you have to also go through the process each time new drivers are installed to manually remove all those you don't want again one by one? If not, it would be really nice for Nhancer to have some kind of option to carry over your own profiles (overwriting Nvidia's) each time new drivers were installed.
You can delete profiles. You can multiselect profiles and delete them in one step. And there's an option which removes all profiles at once that are only SLI related for those not using SLI.

Quote:
Question 2. Does Nhancer allow setting a refresh rate for each game profile? If not, it would be a wonderful thing to have. Dunno why Nvidia never had an option like that. To my knowledge, only Ray Adams ATT Tools had that option. I really loved it when I had my ATI card.
I don't think that this can be done that easily. I don't know how Ray Adams did that, but as far as I know he's installing a service/driver component, which intercepts certain Direct3D and OpenGL calls. He can then modify the parameters before they reach the actual gfx driver.

I tried to avoid something like this, because each bug can cause really serious problems if your programming is interacting with the system at that low a level. nHancer on the other side only uses settings the driver itself exposes in form of registry keys and files (nvapps.xml). It doesn't do anything else than to change these (with one exception: Enabling SLI load balancing graph involves calling a documented API provided by nVidia).

So using nHancer is pretty safe, but on the other hand, I'm allso limited by what the driver allows me to do. And changing the resolution or refresh rate is not among these things, at least as far as I know.

Old 01-21-07, 11:39 AM   #43
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Quote:
So using nHancer is pretty safe, but on the other hand, I'm also limited by what the driver allows me to do. And changing the resolution or refresh rate is not among these things, at least as far as I know.
Then how did Nvidia's Refresh Rate Overrides work? Is this not on a driver level? I thought Microsoft turned over things like refresh rates to the video driver in Windows XP where in previous Windows versions, the OS controlled it.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 02:10 PM   #44
Grestorn
nHancer

Quote:
Then how did Nvidia's Refresh Rate Overrides work? Is this not on a driver level? I thought Microsoft turned over things like refresh rates to the video driver in Windows XP where in previous Windows versions, the OS controlled it.
Yes, it is a driver thing of course. But not on a "per-game" level, like you asked. Only globally. And it doesn't seem to work for the latest versions either. Sorry.

Old 01-21-07, 02:17 PM   #45
Grestorn
nHancer

Default Version 2.1.1 released (Vista compatible)

Version 2.1.1 has just been put on the website www.nhancer.com.

This version adds compatibility for Windows Vista and Forceware 100.x drivers.

Vista uses the new "UAC" (User Access Control) feature, which informs the user if an application is doing something only an administrator should be allowed to. Unfortunately, the things nHancer does (changing the registry settings for the gfx card and changing the profiles) fall under this category. The only way around that would be to add a Windows service process for nHancer.

After nHancer has been installed, Vista users must enable the option "Run this program as administrator" in nHancer.exe's properties dialog. Without that option, nHancer will just show a message and refuse to run.

In an upcoming version of nHancer, I'll activate that option automatically (can't do that right now due to a bug in VisualStudio 2005).

Another problem for Vista users is that Vista doesn't allow programs with administrator privileges to be started automatically. So the "Start with Windows" option is pretty useless for Vista users, at least as long as they don't disable UAC completely (which I don't recommend to do!).

Old 01-22-07, 05:49 AM   #46
Killall
goodmorning mr. Freeman

Hi, i seem to be having a problem with nHancer 2.1.1. Im using the 97.92 drivers, these have an option in the menu wich enables gamma correction. When i choose an AA mode inside nHancer, it will disable the gamma correction. I have to goto the NV control panel to enable it again. If i set gamma inside Nhancer it will get disabled in the NV control panel again as well. So sumething is going wrong here?
2x1024 mb Corsair PC6400C4
2x80G Maxtor HD's, SATA, Raid 0
Creative Audigy 2 ZS, 5.1 Speaker setup
Iyama MA203DT
And a ****load of games
Killall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 10:41 AM   #47
Grestorn
nHancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killall
Hi, i seem to be having a problem with nHancer 2.1.1. Im using the 97.92 drivers, these have an option in the menu wich enables gamma correction. When i choose an AA mode inside nHancer, it will disable the gamma correction. I have to goto the NV control panel to enable it again. If i set gamma inside Nhancer it will get disabled in the NV control panel again as well. So sumething is going wrong here?
Well, nVidia changed the handling of Gamma corrected AA with 96.x Forceware (along with everything else AA related) and I adapted that change. It seems that they changed something again with certain 97.x drivers, but I'm not absolutely sure if this isn't just a bug in those drivers.

Fact is that the way nHancer is handling Gamma corrected AA is working correctly with 100.x Forcewares again. So I'll leave it as it is for the time being, until nVidia has decided which way will be the right one. Especially since the quality difference is so small.

You should check the actual result yourself. But you'd have to zoom in to see any difference, since it's quite subtle. You should check if the panel's setting is working and if nHancer's is working.

Old 01-22-07, 02:12 PM   #48
Killall
goodmorning mr. Freeman

True, tbh i really dont know what to be looking for when playing at 16xAA but still, every quality enhancement counts. But ill live with it for now, prolly need to upgrade to vista soon anyways (Not like we have a choise ).

Nice tool though, quick and easy.
2x1024 mb Corsair PC6400C4
2x80G Maxtor HD's, SATA, Raid 0
Creative Audigy 2 ZS, 5.1 Speaker setup
Iyama MA203DT
And a ****load of games
Killall is offline   Reply With Quote