Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-17-06, 09:12 PM   #1
maxpower2078

Default Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module - Geforce 2 GTS - 7184

I am getting the above command when trying to install the legacy drivers for my geforce 2 GTS. I have Suse 10.2 with a fresh install and have gone through the steps for the legacy cards on this page (http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA) all the way to installing the patched install file.

Do I have any luck with this. I do have the kernel installed (linux-2.6.18.2-34), not really using it but it's there.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (17.8 KB, 142 views)
maxpower2078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 09:20 AM   #2
mkossmann

Default Re: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module - Geforce 2 GTS - 7184

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2078
I am getting the above command when trying to install the legacy drivers for my geforce 2 GTS. I have Suse 10.2 with a fresh install and have gone through the steps for the legacy cards on this page (http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA) all the way to installing the patched install file.

Do I have any luck with this. I do have the kernel installed (linux-2.6.18.2-34), not really using it but it's there.
Your subject says that you are using version 7184. But your logfile shows that you are using version 7174, which is probably too old for kernel 2.6.18.2-34.
mkossmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 05:11 PM   #3
maxpower2078

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkossmann
Your subject says that you are using version 7184. But your logfile shows that you are using version 7174, which is probably too old for kernel 2.6.18.2-34.
Thanks, I guess I was using an old link. Well that got in drivers installed and now I am just trying to get the 3D desktop and Desktop effects working. I am using the information at this link for help (http://en.opensuse.org/Using_Xgl_on_SUSE_Linux)

The problem is that the program says my card isn't supported buy the page above says you can double click while holding the shift key to change those values, but they never stay and when I open the Desktop Effects they are back to what they were. Also when I restartx I get an error that it couldn't understand the command --help and stopped. I have to do the command "gnome-xgl-switch --disable-xgl" to revert back. So it is like it is half way there or something. Is there another way to configure XGL manually?
Old 12-18-06, 08:53 PM   #4
maxpower2078

I am trying to enable XGL and getting this message

HAL:/home/matt # gnome-xgl-switch --enable-xgl
Warning! MD5DIR is not set: you probably called this script outside SuSEconfig...!
Using MD5DIR="/var/adm/SuSEconfig/md5"...
No changes for /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
No changes for /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
HAL:/home/matt #

Any Ideas, I can't seem to get anything to work combining it with the SuSEconfig command either.
Old 12-27-06, 06:35 PM   #5
ImASummerGuy

Does openGL work for you maxPower? I have a Geforce 2 GTS on a fresh install of SuSE 10.2 and intstalled the nVidia 7184 drivers, but they will not run openGL. I have used linux from mostly just the terminal in KDE for a few years on a really old machine so I don't know much about setting up display drivers. It sounds like we have pretty much the same system, so if you got openGL to work, could you please post how? If I can't get the graphics working on this machine I really have no use for linux on it, since I already have a linux machine that I do non graphics work on. Any help you can give me would be great.
I am not sure what to post about what I have tried. I just followed the readme on nVidia's website for installing 7184 and tried some of their trouble shooting. The desktop does load up fine with the nVidia logo, but anything that uses openGL just loads for a few seconds then stops. The readme said to check /usr/X11R6/lib/ for conflicts, but I have no files nor symbolic links there and the readme does not say what to do about that. My /var/log/Xorg.0.log looks fine and has what the readme says it should.
ImASummerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 11:45 AM   #6
maxpower2078

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASummerGuy
Does openGL work for you maxPower? I have a Geforce 2 GTS on a fresh install of SuSE 10.2 and intstalled the nVidia 7184 drivers, but they will not run openGL. I have used linux from mostly just the terminal in KDE for a few years on a really old machine so I don't know much about setting up display drivers. It sounds like we have pretty much the same system, so if you got openGL to work, could you please post how? If I can't get the graphics working on this machine I really have no use for linux on it, since I already have a linux machine that I do non graphics work on. Any help you can give me would be great.
I am not sure what to post about what I have tried. I just followed the readme on nVidia's website for installing 7184 and tried some of their trouble shooting. The desktop does load up fine with the nVidia logo, but anything that uses openGL just loads for a few seconds then stops. The readme said to check /usr/X11R6/lib/ for conflicts, but I have no files nor symbolic links there and the readme does not say what to do about that. My /var/log/Xorg.0.log looks fine and has what the readme says it should.
I have a feeling I may run into the same thing. When the GDM loads, I get the NVIDIA white screen as well and I thought that opengl and 3d is enabled, but I will install a game like quake 3 tonight and see if that works with opengl and let you know.