Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-18-06, 10:51 PM   #1
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Default 5 Things That Went From Buzz to Bust(Time.com)

Quote:
The message of this page is, Beware all hype. Here are five phenomena that captivated the media for a spell, then turned out to be less than huge. Our bad

Quote:
TO PLAY'S THE THING

The big story in computer games this year was HOW TO BLOW A HUGE LEAD, by Sony. Its PlayStation 2 was the champ in the last round of the console wars. This time Sony bet on a chip called the Cell and a disc format called Blu-ray. They're probably awesome, but how would anybody know? The PS3 is hideously expensive--it goes for up to $600--and Sony manufactured only a piddling few hundred thousand for the U.S., fewer for Japan. Plus it's hard to write games for; the launch titles were lame. You know you're in trouble when you get beat by something called a Wii.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...570831,00.html

Ouch..Even Time is slapping around Sony and its PS3.
Old 12-18-06, 10:56 PM   #2
Zelda_fan

Default Re: 5 Things That Went From Buzz to Bust(Time.com)

ALL LIES!
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 11:02 PM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
You know you're in trouble when you get beat by something called a Wii.

HAHA
Old 12-18-06, 11:34 PM   #4
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Do some of you 360 owners scour the net finding negative things about the ps3? Or is it just a case of reassuring yourselves that you made the right purchasing decision and trying to justify it?
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 11:38 PM   #5
slick
Play with conviction.

It's funny to watch Sony and their arrogance sink like a lead brick. It makes me feel all fuzzy inside.
Old 12-18-06, 11:41 PM   #6
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
It's funny to watch Sony and their arrogance sink like a lead brick. It makes me feel all fuzzy inside.
Its only been out a month. I will give it at least a year before passing judgement.
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-06, 12:48 AM   #7
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaahu_Akbar
Do some of you 360 owners scour the net finding negative things about the ps3? Or is it just a case of reassuring yourselves that you made the right purchasing decision and trying to justify it?
I would do it even if I didn't own a 360. I find it hilarious.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-06, 12:49 AM   #8
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

The same Time that burned the PS2 around 2000-2001. We all know how that turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaahu_Akbar
ding ding ding.

Old 12-19-06, 12:50 AM   #9
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle

I personally love the crickets I'm hearing from the Sony fanboy crowd that were laughing at MS for their lack of supply this same time last year.
Old 12-19-06, 12:52 AM   #10
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Boy
The same Time that burned the PS2 around 2000-2001. We all know how that turned out.

ding ding ding.
WTF is so good about a PS2? It's a POS and it's nothing without the games it had. Except for Sony, everyone knows that it was the exclusives that lead to Sony's success....
Old 12-19-06, 01:04 AM   #11
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikneedle
I personally love the crickets I'm hearing from the Sony fanboy crowd that were laughing at MS for their lack of supply this same time last year.
I laugh at sony for the same lack of supply, dont get it confused. With 200k units in the NA it's barely a launch. But in the grand scheme of things, I really don't care. 375k MS launch last year is nothing compared to the long run, they now have almost 10 million. The couple hundred thousand PS2 launched with is nothing compared to the 100+ million they have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikneedle
WTF is so good about a PS2? It's a POS and it's nothing without the games it had. Except for Sony, everyone knows that it was the exclusives that lead to Sony's success....
Does that even make any sense. A console can only be as good as it's library of games imo. You are saying the PS2 had good games but it's a POS? Can you elaborate on that?
Old 12-19-06, 01:17 AM   #12
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Boy
I laugh at sony for the same lack of supply, dont get it confused. With 200k units in the NA it's barely a launch. But in the grand scheme of things, I really don't care. 375k MS launch last year is nothing compared to the long run, they now have almost 10 million. The couple hundred thousand PS2 launched with is nothing compared to the 100+ million they have now.

Does that even make any sense. A console can only be as good as it's library of games imo. You are saying the PS2 had good games but it's a POS? Can you elaborate on that?
Well, its lack of a decent online system, no hard-drive, a crappy DVD player. I'm just saying that even though the PS3 has all the components to make a great console, Sony seems to not care about the games that really made the system sell... GTA, Guitar Hero, among others. If those same games would come out for both Xbox and PS2 at the same time, I doubt the PS2 would have won.