Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-30-02, 03:21 AM   #1
StealthHawk

Default State of Parhelia

is Matrox Parhelia actually shipping yet? i've seen it online and it looks like you can actually buy it and have it shipped at the time of purchase.

if this is the case, is it available in retail stores yet too?
Old 07-30-02, 09:39 AM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Newegg has the OEM version available (lower clock speeds from what I understand) but I've not seen the retail boxed one at any store, retail, online or otherwise.

These delays only put Matrox farther behind the curve. Unless they can put out some sort of uber-driver that boosts performance past Ti4600 levels, they'll be playing 3rd fiddle to that card and the Radeon 9700.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-02, 10:42 AM   #3
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
This has been one of Matrox's banes, imo. The G400 series was only really available for the longest time direct through the Matrox online store. The same is currently true of the Parhelia, though many MURC Forum regulars have ordered and received their retail cards through the store now.
Old 07-30-02, 01:31 PM   #4
JonathanM
Crazy Canuck

I live in Montreal (Matrox HQ) and have yet to spot a retail Parhelia. Of course, this could be cuz they're flying off the shelves too fast though. The retail versions are available if you're willing to place an order and wait a couple days for it to be filled...
Old 08-01-02, 11:31 AM   #5
Raptorman
Former Marine

Send a message via MSN to Raptorman Send a message via Yahoo to Raptorman

Why would you want a Parhelia with its low benchmark scores? Sure it can support 3 monitors for surround gaming, but I don't know anyone that has 3 monitors to use it with. Even if the image quality is great
Not As Mean, Not As Lean, But Still A Marine
Ramadi 2006, 22 MEU 2007
3rd Battalion 8th Marines WPNS CO
"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."
RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995
Raptorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 08:51 PM   #6
netviper13
Treehugger

If you need the best IQ for work reasons, yet still want to be a gamer, Parhelia is perfect.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 11:15 PM   #7
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
If you need the best IQ for work reasons, yet still want to be a gamer, Parhelia is perfect.
But this really is the only situation where the Parhelia makes sense. The gaming performance difference between the Ti4600 and Parhelia is quite significant considering that the Ti4600 is in many cases less expensive.

For many, the added image quality yet inferior performance will probably be enough for people to say no thanks to the Parhelia. I think it would be a different story if Matrox brought this card out at a $200-250 price point.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-02, 01:28 AM   #8
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Right saturnotaku. (ugh, being a Matrox fan, it bothers me to say this, but it's true)

In the case of most home computer users, including gamers, the Parhelia isn't justified, especially when you consider that most people won't notice the difference in quality (not too significant on the average home monitor), but WILL notice the performance difference as well as the cost difference.

(keep in mind that Matrox never said that this was the audience they're targeting anyhow- the ones they want are the crowd netviper mentioned, and maybe some corporate / high end users).

Old 08-02-02, 02:01 AM   #9
koslov
Omnipresent Lurker

Parhelia is the perfect card for you to ask your boss for, with the excuse that you'll (theoretically) increase productivity 3X (with 3 displays), but in reality will be using it to play DooM3 at lunch.

Parhelia to the average gamer really only had its much-hyped AA going for it, but then it was revealed that this was not up to par in some aspects (I lost the article, but it showed that Parhelia did not antialias inside polygon edges). In my eyes, price is really the biggest barrier from Parhelia being competitive.
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-02, 02:18 AM   #10
StealthHawk

i'm rather skeptical as to how well Parhelia would perform in Doom 3.

how many businesses do you know where the employees are allowed 3 monitors? presumably all LCDs. please point me in their direction
Old 08-02-02, 07:55 AM   #11
jbirney

Quote:
The gaming performance difference between the Ti4600 and Parhelia is quite significant considering that the Ti4600 is in many cases less expensive.

Actually once you turn on AF and FSAA then the Parhelia pulls in the lead perfromance wise. Then factor when its FAA works it looks better than anything else out today AA wise, then its not soo bad. However I still think its a very specific target of people they were aiming at. I guess the flight sim crowd is really digging the 3 monitors (did you see that review over at SimHQ). Its not the card for the average or hardcore player....
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-02, 10:20 AM   #12
Raptorman
Former Marine

Send a message via MSN to Raptorman Send a message via Yahoo to Raptorman

I think the 3 monitors is a great idea. I play flightsims, but also first person shooters, so a significant drop in fps is not acceptable to me. That is the main reason why I am not getting a Parhelia, and the second reason is that I have got to have my A-A. Can't live without it, and the Parhelia's doesn't always work.

Have you checked PriceWatch for the Retail Parhelia, StealthHawk?
Not As Mean, Not As Lean, But Still A Marine
Ramadi 2006, 22 MEU 2007
3rd Battalion 8th Marines WPNS CO
"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."
RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995
Raptorman is offline   Reply With Quote