Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-02-07, 02:56 PM   #25
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: Languages you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Ebonics
For real. When I talk to some of the guys I play ball with, I feel like I've stepped into another country.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 05:46 PM   #26
evilghost

Actually, I just wanted to use that GIF.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 01:20 PM   #27
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost

Actually, I just wanted to use that GIF.
I love that .gif.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 02:09 PM   #28
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2k1
It's easy to learn a new programming language in a day or two, but then you can't use it because you don't know any libraries. I think it would be better to add the libraries and other knowlege to the list:
Yeah, good point. I doubt anybody writes anything in C++ without using some external libraries.

-C++ with QT, OpenGL, SDL (and several of its sub-libraries)
-Java, recently with Servlets
-Some PHP (and various other web stuff: HTML, JavaScript, DHTML, CSS, SSI...which is starting to stretch the definition of a language TBH)
-PERL
-Python with PyQT
-Smalltalk (And if I ever work somewhere that they ask me to use that awful, backwards, arbitrary, order of operations disrespecting language I will quit)
-Was introduced to ML and Prolog in school, but off the top of my head I couldn't write anything in them anymore.
-BASIC - probably still have more years of this than anything else because I started pretty young and didn't get into C++ until my senior year of high school.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 03:00 PM   #29
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
Yeah, good point. I doubt anybody writes anything in C++ without using some external libraries.
Thats why you gotta learn Assembly! Now thats a bitch... had to learn it for PS2 Development.
Old 01-03-07, 03:13 PM   #30
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Thats why you gotta learn Assembly! Now thats a bitch... had to learn it for PS2 Development.
I'm curious to know how much you actually wrote in Assembly? In my own brief foray into PS2 dev I very rarely needed to look at Assembly - though I guess it depends on precisely what your role in the project is. I would've thought that even someone who was an 'expert' in that kind of field would only drop down to Assembly for some very specific optimisations, and to fix some of those annoying random idiosyncracies that the PS2 has.

EDIT 2: I should note that I'm definitely not proficient in assembly. I've enough experience to know how to find out what bits of assembly are doing, but I wouldn't trust myself to actually write large blocks of it. Even when GPU programming, which I've spent quite a bit of time doing back when I was doing research at Uni, I would use the higher level shading languages (Cg was my one of preference, but of course HLSL syntax is identical, and GLSL isn't really that different), as performance wise (from what I understand) the hit for a compiled shading language is pretty trivial compared to how much time it saves you writing the shaders themselves.

EDIT: It's also worthwhile noting that libraries are often 'first party' - so, I use a lot of libraries written by staff at the company I work for. Although I'm familiar with OpenGL, the glut, STL, and some of the unfortunately dying Renderware, and have dabbled in a number of others, I find that provided a library is well documented, it doesn't take all that long to learn one when you're actually required to work with something. In other words - when one has to work with something to actually achieve a task in a larger project, 'learning' it doesn't usually take as long as trying to teach one's-self something from scratch. Though I guess the sheer weight of time invested when actually working on something (rather than as a free time hobby) also contributes to that.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.

Last edited by Subtestube; 01-03-07 at 03:25 PM.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 03:57 PM   #31
|MaguS|

I had to use it acouple of times, mainly when working on new engines. I did more AI and engine development. I never went into graphics too much, physics was another aspect I worked on (and often used Assembly). But you are right, I only used it if I had to take apart an engine to optimize it better (which is what I mainly did during my time at EA). I also had to learn it alot just so I knew how to read it, often I had to "clean" code (such a bitch job).
Old 01-03-07, 04:00 PM   #32
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Ugh, no thanks.

Actually we did a little bit of MIPS assembly in my architectures class so I guess I could say I've had an introduction, but MIPS is much easier than x86 from what I hear and considering how unlikely it is that I would ever code for a MIPS processor I'm not sure it counts. Back when I did BASIC a lot there was a bit of inline assembly for fast graphics routines as I recall as well, and the first graphical stuff I did in C++ used it as well (although that didn't work with a Windows compiler only with old DOS ones, so I quit doing that pretty quickly). So I guess it falls under the same category as ML and Prolog: I couldn't code my way out of a wet paper bag, but I have done it before.

Old 01-03-07, 05:39 PM   #33
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
I couldn't code my way out of a wet paper bag, but I have done it before.
I'd like to think that I could maybe get out of a wet paper bag with Assembly, but if it had any structural reinforcement at all (or was dry), or I had no reference manual - I'd be as stuck as you. Similar grade of experience for me. C++ all the way!
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 06:28 PM   #34
nemecb

Yeah, the thing is that even if I did manage to write some assembly, just writing it in C/C++ and letting the compiler optimize would probably be better than what I would come up with anyway, so it would kind of defeat the purpose.
Old 01-06-07, 10:02 AM   #35
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Programming and natural languages combined:

Write for living:
C (e.g. with Gtk+2.x, Speex, SDL), Perl, sh, English (hard to believe eh), Finnish

Know quite well (would or did write for living):
Java (and JavaScript, including DOM with XHTML), PHP, SQL (experience with PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle in Perl, PHP, C)

Know to some degree:
C++, 6510/6502 assembler, mc680x0 assembler, Swedish

Absolute beginner:
Pascal, Lisp, tcl(/tk), Prolog, Japanese (after two years of relaxed studies at University)

Willing to learn:
Python, C++, OpenGL API, Chinese

The usual stuff:
BASIC (between 1983 - 1994, several dialects), (X)HTML, CSS

All this with vim and most of it with free software.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 05:12 AM   #36
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtestube
I professionally use C++ and Lua. ...
I see you use Lua at work. If you like this and use it for games or tools, you might want to try out GameMonkey Script. It's like Lua, but designed specifically for C++ games/tools progammers.

GM Home:
http://www.somedude.net/gamemonkey/

Forum:
http://www.somedude.net/index.php?na...file=index&c=3
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote