Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-07-07, 01:19 PM   #37
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Default Re: Languages you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
I see you use Lua at work. If you like this and use it for games or tools, you might want to try out GameMonkey Script. It's like Lua, but designed specifically for C++ games/tools progammers.

GM Home:
http://www.somedude.net/gamemonkey/

Forum:
http://www.somedude.net/index.php?na...file=index&c=3
Hehe - might be a good option, but I'm not senior enough in the company to make any kinds of decision regarding the languages we use. I may take a detailed look and mention it to our lead though - so cheers!
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 09:17 PM   #38
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Fluent in:

C#, VB.NET, TSQL, Javascript, VB, ASP/ASP.NET, HTML and CSS

Get by in:

Java, JSP, PL/SQL, Ruby, Python

I would like to re-learn C++ (Did it at university, but can't remember any of it now).

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 10:23 PM   #39
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
Fluent in:

C#, VB.NET, TSQL, Javascript, VB, ASP/ASP.NET, HTML and CSS

Get by in:

Java, JSP, PL/SQL, Ruby, Python

I would like to re-learn C++ (Did it at university, but can't remember any of it now).
What are your thoughts on Ruby and Python? I started going through this e-book on Ruby. Also thought about checking out IronPython. Would just like to hear your opinions.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 08:39 AM   #40
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
What are your thoughts on Ruby and Python? I started going through this e-book on Ruby. Also thought about checking out IronPython. Would just like to hear your opinions.
I use Ruby and Python mainly for testing other apps and scripting. Check out Watir for Ruby and Pamie for Python, they are great for unit-testing web apps and much much better than nUnit ASP.

Ruby is easy to learn, its quite intuitive except for its use of special characters. E.g.

variable_name
$variable_name
@variable_name
@@variable_name

Still, its not as bad as Perl... Perl programs look like some huge regular expression to me

Python is easy to learn too, the main oddity being its lack of implicit self. I still don't understand why the language is designed this way. I read theres some cool hacks you can do because of this, but I never got that deep with t he language.

I really like the fact that Python uses indentation instead of brackets etc. Most programmers freak when they here this, but once you've tried it you will find it makes perfect sense.

Old 01-09-07, 06:00 PM   #41
Clay

Thanks for the info. I've tried Watir before (saw it mentioned by Scott Hanselmann a couple of years ago).
Old 01-09-07, 10:23 PM   #42
rhink

Expert:
Java (yeah even I feel slightly dirty for learning this one, I like getting "close to the metal", and I think I've wasted more time trying to optimize the hell out of the garbage collector than it would have taken just to rewrite some components in C++ for performance, but Java is where the $$$ is for me atm).

Proficient:
C++
C
Visual Basic 6
Visual Basic .NET (I definitely feel unclean for touching this one, heh)

Can get by:
Motorolla 68k ASM
Perl
TI Basic

Meh:
x86 asm

Picking up new languages isn't difficult for the most part (at least once you're good in one), unless the programming model the new language uses is completely foreign to you. IE, going from a procedural language like C to Java takes some getting used to, especially if you're going to be any good at it (I've seen lots of Java code, and a decent amount of C++ code, that tries very very hard to make object code behave procedurally, and it gets messy, fast).

btw, HTML, XML, CSS, etc are NOT programming languages.
rhink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 10:34 PM   #43
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhink
That's no news flash, most of us already qualified those as scripting/markup languages.
Old 01-09-07, 10:40 PM   #44
rhink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
That's no news flash, most of us already qualified those as scripting/markup languages.
/shrug, I saw several listing them as programming/scripting languages. It's kind of a pet peave of mine after a dumb-as-a-brick college english teacher trying to teach us HTML called it a programming language.
rhink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-07, 11:00 PM   #45
Clay

Quote:
/shrug, I saw several listing them as programming/scripting languages. It's kind of a pet peave of mine after a dumb-as-a-brick college english teacher trying to teach us HTML called it a programming language.
I know what you mean. Another thing that irks me is when people think JavaScript (a.k.a. LiveScript from Netscape) is either the same thing or even remotely related to Java.
Old 01-10-07, 07:42 AM   #46
evilghost

Quote:
Might as well add PERL and PHP to those since they are scripting languages but for the sake of argument there's really no point to get that hung up on semantics.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 08:15 AM   #47
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
You're right, but most people still list them under the "programming languages" section of their resume. The person interviewing you for a job of "web programmer" expects to see HTML and CSS there and probably doesn't understand the difference. Just how if they ask you "ever done any hacking?" the correct answer is "no", even though "hacking" doesn't really mean what they think it does.

Evilghost, the difference is that you can't do things like loops or conditional branching with HTML and CSS, you can with Perl and PHP.

I don't see the difference between a "programming" language and a "scripting" language, however.

Old 01-10-07, 08:17 AM   #48
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
Evilghost, the difference is that you can't do things like loops or conditional branching with HTML and CSS, you can with Perl and PHP.
True, but by true definition HTML isn't a scripting language either, it's a markup language, but I do think it's worth listing. Dreamweaver/WYSIWYG != knowing HTML, and especially for web development knowing HTML should be a requirement for knowing PHP.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote