Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-16-07, 09:50 AM   #61
Sycario

Send a message via AIM to Sycario
Default Re: Languages you know

I've mostly done web languages like ASP, PHP, ASP.NET (VB, C#). I had to teach myself how to write applications (vb.net and vb6). Because of the horrible job the last guy did on the program, it requires a complete rewrite. I'm amazed sometimes at the crappy coding I see. There is very little error checking, completely unnesessary use of properties and enums.

Comp Specs:
Intel Q9650 @ 3.95Ghz
Asus Rampage Extreme
2x2GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 @ 6-6-6-17
eVGA GTX 280 SSC
BFG ES-800 PSU
Sycario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 09:55 AM   #62
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNiBuS
I've mostly done web languages like ASP, PHP, ASP.NET (VB, C#). I had to teach myself how to write applications (vb.net and vb6). Because of the horrible job the last guy did on the program, it requires a complete rewrite. I'm amazed sometimes at the crappy coding I see. There is very little error checking, completely unnesessary use of properties and enums.
It's fairly easy to find someone who doesn't know what they're doing; I used to love the developers who would "SELECT * FROM [tablename]" and load it into a control and enumerate the entire recordset/control looking for the selected choice instead of just including a WHERE clause in the SQL statement.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 11:53 AM   #63
superklye

I've started teaching myself Ruby. It's pretty sweet as is Ruby on Rails.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 05:31 PM   #64
rhink

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
It's fairly easy to find someone who doesn't know what they're doing; I used to love the developers who would "SELECT * FROM [tablename]" and load it into a control and enumerate the entire recordset/control looking for the selected choice instead of just including a WHERE clause in the SQL statement.
Heh. I'm using an implementation of Java Data Objects (aka JDO) for a project I'm working on. It's supposed to transparently map your data objects into the database, handle persistence for you, you create queries based on your objects, it maps it into SQL, etc. One (among many) of the major issues with it is that people see an object in java, they tend to treat it like one, even if that object is transactional and everything you do with it generates a query that hits the database. So something like:

Transaction txn = new Transaction();
txn.begin();

/* Set up query somewhere in here */
Collection result = query.execute();
Iterator iterator = result.iterator();
while(iterator.hasNext()) {
//iterate it!
}
txn.commit();

seems quite reasonable in java, but of course what's really going on is it's sending a SELECT FOR UPDATE statement for a single row to the database at very high frequency. People love to do it though, just to pick out one or a small handful of records, mostly because JDO's query interface can be somewhat painful for the uninitiated. Even when the resulting iterator could contain literally hundreds of thousands of results. Then people wonder why things are god awful slow, why we get a zillion transactional/record locking type errors from the database, etc. And that's not even getting into the massive amounts of trash this type of approach generates on the heap...

I've spent huge amounts of time cleaning up that kinda **** in performance critical sections, and re-writing portions of our infrastructure to make it less necessary to go to the database (caching more stuff locally, people can just load it out of the cache, etc).

It's not always people that are bad coders doing this kind of thing, either. People just don't necessarily think about what's going on under the covers when you use a product like JDO. For that reason, I don't think that higher levels of abstraction and implementation hiding are necessarily a good thing. Sometimes things should be slightly painful, and map more closely to the implementation, just so the coder is forced to think a little more about what they're doing.
rhink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 10:15 PM   #65
A101Sugar

Send a message via AIM to A101Sugar

Taking AP Computer Science A as a Junior in High School. Learning Java....
A101Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 10:36 PM   #66
Clay

Quote:
Dang, that is really nasty. You should post that on thedailywtf.com ...although, that kind of ignorant coding has been posted there plenty before.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 05:36 AM   #67
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
It's fairly easy to find someone who doesn't know what they're doing.
Reminds me of the following piece of code:
Code:
int i;
for (i = 0; i < g_list_length(list); i++) {
    struct whatever_data *data;
    data = (struct whatever_data *) g_list_nth_data(list, i);
    do_the_magic(data);
}
Someone clearly didn't know you can iterate through the list using linked_list->next (or by calling g_list_foreach(), but that would require a callback function). Although the list always had less than 80 elements, he would still use O(n^2) time instead of O(n). I hardly think GLib would have any internal indexing for GList. At least he didn't manually iterate to the n:th element inside the outer loop...

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]

Last edited by wnd; 02-17-07 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Better quote
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 11:21 AM   #68
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I've had little experience with VB.net but I'm currently taking classes in:

C++ (my 2nd class)
Java
COBOL (the most pointless language in the world)

Programming is fun and all, but sometimes you just wanna pull out your hair because you can't figure the dang thing out.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-07, 05:31 PM   #69
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
but sometimes you just wanna pull out your hair because you can't figure the dang thing out.
Learning something new and sometimes tricky is just part of the fun. Unfortunately that fun occasionally turns into disbelief "I can't believe they designed it this stupid". Usually this applies to commercial library APIs though.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 11:40 AM   #70
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnd
Learning something new and sometimes tricky is just part of the fun. Unfortunately that fun occasionally turns into disbelief "I can't believe they designed it this stupid". Usually this applies to commercial library APIs though.
True. I have a COBOL program right now that uses the temp SORT file. It will only sort and display 3 records out of many though . . . I can't figure it out!!! Arghh!!!!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 12:26 PM   #71
TierMann
Bite my shiny, metal @ss!

Q-Basic
VB
C, C++

PHP
HTML, CSS, XML, JavaScript
Athlon XP 3000+ | ECS KM400M2 3.0 | 512mb DDR333 | PNY 5200 Ultra
TV-Tuner | Silver Aspire X-Qpack w/Windows | WinXP MCE 2005 | 200Gb Storage
DVD Collection -- MySpace
TierMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 08:39 PM   #72
CDE_1246

Send a message via AIM to CDE_1246

Heres what I know -----------------------------------------------------
Nothing, My school sucks, theres no cool classes for any of that stuff.
CDE_1246 is offline   Reply With Quote