Default Re: Languages you know

Languages I am fluent in:
SQL/T-SQL,
Microfocus COBOL, Fujitsu PowerCOBOL
C++,
PHP, ASP/VBScript/VB6,
HTML/JS/DHTML/CSS/SSI

.NET Languages:
VB, C#, COBOL(scary eh? yeah I don't like it).
ASP, ASP AJAX

Currently working in a heavy .NET 2.0 & 1.1 environment, but at home I do mostly PHP & some ASP.NET AJAX work. Slowly getting to know the new stuff in .NET 3.0.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 12:11 PM   #98
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
That might be a slight exaggeration. It's true that COBOL is still being used, and fairly heavily in some areas, but nobody's writing new stuff in it AFAIK. They're just adding on to legacy apps that they don't want to have to rewrite. I have a friend who is trying to make a COBOL backend work with a web app. Lots of fun.

Oh, and I did Prolog in school, but I'm not a huge fan of academic languages (Smalltalk...shudder). We did ML too, and although they were both interesting (and ML was a great way to brush up on my recursive thinking) I'm not in a huge hurry to use them again.
Yeah, apparently COBOL is king of business-based programming, especially in databasing. I actually like C++ and Java is ok, but COBOL is terrible. I had more trouble out of that class last semester than any other.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 01:23 PM   #99
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Yeah, apparently COBOL is king of business-based programming, especially in databasing. I actually like C++ and Java is ok, but COBOL is terrible. I had more trouble out of that class last semester than any other.
Was* king. The only reason it is still around is because the people that manage the dev's at places that run Big-Iron mainframes were once COBOL programmers and aren't comfortable with newer technologies. When those old programmers fall out of circulation (retirement, etc.), say good bye to those systems.

With server-client technology becoming the new thing more modern object-oriented languages are being put to use, of course COBOL did get object-orientation but it is CRAP!

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Old 09-07-07, 11:14 PM   #100
bugmeplz
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolyth
.NET Languages:
VB, C#, COBOL(scary eh? yeah I don't like it).
ASP, ASP AJAX

Currently working in a heavy .NET 2.0 & 1.1 environment, but at home I do mostly PHP & some ASP.NET AJAX work. Slowly getting to know the new stuff in .NET 3.0.
wasnt aware COBOL ran on the .net runtimes...
bugmeplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 11:14 PM   #101
bugmeplz
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227
The bottom line is JAVA sucks...but don't get me wrong...it's good to know it. It's just my opinion.
please, do enlighten me on why java sucks? i realize its just your opinion, but what are your reasons?
Old 09-08-07, 05:41 PM   #102
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Java is great I think, I don't see any problems/flaws/issues with it. Same thing for C++.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 07:38 PM   #103
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Yeah Java sucks. Java is only good for security-aware applications such as e-commerce, if you want your application to be runnable on virtually any modern platform without having to recompile or port it - with near-native performance, of if you just don't want to worry about memory management or low-level exception handling. :-)

IMO C++, on the other hand, is a bit different player. It brings the horror of object constructors and destructors, written in messy C-like syntax which happily lets you to seriously hurt yourself. Basically, I think, C++ combines the worst of OO and C, creating something really unique.

Personally I have good relationship with Java. I won't touch it, and Java keeps out of my eyes. See, I'm not fully OO-compatible yet, but I'm working my way there. I prefer languages such as C, but having to work with GTK+ and GLib have made me realise that objects are actually quite useful -- in certain places. (And I know, GLib doesn't provide real objects.)

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]

Last edited by wnd; 09-14-07 at 12:23 PM. Reason: fixed vBulletin tags
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-07, 12:05 PM   #104
gmontem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227
I do programming for living, and i would recommend Visual Studio 2005. Sometimes I have to jump from mainframe (COBOL) to VS 2005 and back, it makes you think...
Have you used VS 2003 in your professional projects and had to migrate them to VS 2005? If so, have you encountered any problems along the way?

Old 09-12-07, 05:38 PM   #105
AndyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontem
Have you used VS 2003 in your professional projects and had to migrate them to VS 2005? If so, have you encountered any problems along the way?
In my work, we were migrating our whole application (about 200 separate projects) from 2003 to 2005 recently and it went quite well. The only "problem" is that the VS 2005 is using a newer compiler which performs some better run-time checks and therefore the application was initially more unstable than when it was compiled in 2003 . We discovered a lot of bugs thanks to this .

But seriously... problems with this migration are nothing in comparison with the VS 6.0 -> VS 2003 migration..
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-07, 06:14 PM   #106
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS
But seriously... problems with this migration are nothing in comparison with the VS 6.0 -> VS 2003 migration..
I'll second that. I don't do any WinForms dev, mostly ASP.NET and some Windows Services or Console. It really paid to wait for VS2005 while Microsoft listened to developers and went back to the Web Project model by baking that into SP1. We just recently went to VS2005 from VS2003 where I work.

I'm really liking what I see with VS 2008 though,...sounds like it is still on track to be released this coming February.

I personally believe that us americans are unable to do so because osama.

People out there in our nation don't have that, And I believe that our education like such as south africa and such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as". And I believe our education should help the US should help the south africa and the iraq and the asian countries so we can build up our future.
-- Miss Teen South Carolina

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 10:34 AM   #107
bugmeplz
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnd
... or low-level exception handling. :-)

IMO C++, on the other hand, is a bit different player. It brings the horror of object constructors [b]and[/b) destructors, written in messy C-like syntax which happily lets you to seriously hurt yourself. Basically, I think, C++ combines the worst of OO and C, creating something really unique.

true, java does not force *low-level* exception handling since it is quite a high level language, but some people get annoyed with java's checked exception scheme.

there is nothing horrific about constructors (java has 'em as well you know), or destructors (i wish java had 'em instead of the awful Finalize() which does not work most of the time)
Old 09-14-07, 10:45 AM   #108
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS
I hear ya there, I've done several VB 6.0 to 2002/3/5 and it sucked. Had to completely rewrite the apps. 2008 is looking very nice though, if MS continues taking all these great ideas and placing it into the framework, the job of developing apps will be that much faster, and you focus more on advanced features then grunt code jockeying.

Storage 2.0