Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-01-02, 09:44 PM   #13
Wolfie

cloral see if this helps any:http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nview_tutorials

wolfie

Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 09:53 PM   #14
Cloral

First of all, I just want to say thank you to all of you who have taken time to try to help me out so far.

The tutorial for nView says to start it by connecting a second monitor. I don't have one. Nor does it show up when I right-click the desktop.

I don't think it is a hardware issue - I had it working well for a while under the older drivers (although that doesn't seem to be the case anymore), and it works perfectly fine under Linux. So it must be some sort of software conflict or bug.
Old 08-02-02, 02:13 PM   #15
digitalwanderer

Question Did you clear out the registry and inf?

Whenever I re-install on 98se I always:

1. Un-install thru "Add/remove programs", DON'T REBOOT!

2. Run DetDestroyer, un-install, DON'T REBOOT! (Thanks to whoever wrote that, GREAT utility! )

3. Open up Windows Explorer and goto the C:\windows\inf\Nvagp.inf (or some drivers call it "Nvaml.inf", whatever starts with "Nva") then goto C:\windows\inf\other and delete NVIDIANVAGP.INF (or whatever is named "Nvidia" in there, if there's more than one delete all of them...but only the nvidia ones!) While you've got explorer open, go ahead and delete your entire C:\Program Files\RivaTuner directory. (You gotta re-install it each time clean.)

4. Goto your start menu, goto 'Run', type in "msconfig" and hit return. Goto the start-up tab and uncheck RivaTuner, DON'T REBOOT!

5. Goto the run box again and type in "regedit". BE CAREFUL IN THERE AS SCREWING UP WILL HOSE YOU'RE BOX!
Under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NVIDIA Corporation" highlight the "NVIDIA Corporation" bit and hit the delete key. Confirm when asked. Then goto "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation" and delete it also. In that same directory there will be a branch called "Unwinder", highlight and delete that as well. ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Unwinder", Unwinder is the author of RivaTuner and that's where all the RivaTuner settings are kept. )

6. Reboot. (FINALLY!)

7. Let it auto-search for a driver on reboot, if it finds the default adapter you've got a clean bill of health. Follow the prompts to install & reboot.

8. Install new drivers, re-install RivaTuner RC11.1

Ta-da! Simple, eh? With a little practice it takes less than 3 minutes. (My personal record so far is about 2... )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-02, 05:11 PM   #16
Cloral

You'd think they'd be simpler than that to uninstall.

Anyway, I got that to work (thankfully). Unfortunately, none of the newer versions (29.42, 30.30, 30.82) work for me. Instead, they make Windows gracefully crash at startup. I put 21.83 back on, as it was lying around my desktop. However, this version still has the 'DOS screen mode' issues as outlined above. I think the version I had been running where things worked like they were supposed to was even earlier than this, so I'm going to go into the archives at 3d Guru and try a few. I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 08-02-02, 07:53 PM   #17
digitalwanderer

Post FYI

My GF2 MX400 (Abit T400, technically. ) had no problems with any drivers up to the 30.30s, I upgraded her with the 8500 2 days before the 30.82s came out so I'm not too sure about those.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-02, 09:17 PM   #18
Cloral

Well, the 14.70 drivers still seem to have this problem, but to a lesser extent. Whereas before when I ran the DOS prompt full-screen my computer would crash, now the prompt just looks messed up. I can alt-tab out of it and continue to use the computer. So at least this is a step in the right direction. I'll try even earlier ones and see if it is any better.

Also, I get random green flashes on the windows logo screen. I only get those with the nvidia drivers - when using the 'standard vga adapter' option, it doesn't do that.

edit:
Hmmm... with 12.42, I can actually see the maximized DOS prompt. However, when I try to leave it, the whole screen goes green. Also, the flashing during the windows logo at startup has been becoming less and less the further back I go. I'll try another version...

...11.00 doesn't do it either. Also, it lists it as MX instead of MX/MX400, which I'm sure is what it was listed as when it worked. So I've stopped going back and put 21.83 back on. At least windows starts under it. But what could be causing this dos issue? I know it must be related to the drivers in some way because every time I switched driver versions, the problem changed nature somewhat.
Old 08-03-02, 02:49 PM   #19
sebazve

Do you have your windows with all the ****ing things updated? You could try that with Windows Update, microsoft realeses tons of little patches for their buggy windows. Who knows?
sebazve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-02, 03:10 PM   #20
Cloral

I have been keeping up with the windows updates. However, it should be noted that it was working relatively fine until I updated the drivers.

Old 08-27-02, 03:27 AM   #21
Nv40
Agent-Fx

1) install direct3d 8.1 ,
2)intall the drivers that worked in your pc

if none of this works ,you will get better results
re-formating your Pc and reinstalling Windows 98..

test your card in a computer friend ,
also try WindowsXP ,it have all the drivers you will
need .. windows98se is a very unstable operating system..
you will be a happer man ,when you install windowsxp in your pc
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-02, 04:01 PM   #22
Cloral

1) I already have DirectX fully updated.
2) My computer came with this card, WindowsXP, and this problem. Doesn't say much for Gateway that they would ship a computer that doesn't work properly.
I took XP off the computer because it wasn't working very well, and 98SE has been working better than XP did. But then again, Linux is working better for me than either of them. And the detonator drivers for Linux work well and don't have this problem. Infact, the only reason I still boot into windows sometimes is that many of my games, such as tony hawk 3, are for windows.
Old 08-28-02, 04:32 AM   #23
h_happy

Default Nice!

And in addition search your INF path, whether there are some oem*.inf contain "Nvidia". Delete them all.

That's clean now.
Old 08-28-02, 01:25 PM   #24
Cloral

I've done that every time I've switched driver versions, trying to find one that works. No dice.