zoolap
GeHorse Ti4200

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Nv40
....who cares about game play ,i will buy this game
no matter if it is and expasion pack of the SIms online
and RPG or an strategy game....
Oh dear...! Graphics are all very well, but without gameplay, you might as well buy a rolling demo.
Old 03-16-03, 02:57 PM   #26
St Lobus

Send a message via ICQ to St Lobus

Quote:
Originally posted by zoolap
Oh dear...! Graphics are all very well, but without gameplay, you might as well buy a rolling demo.
I totally agree with you. It's a shame younger gamers are growing up with big explosions and pretty colors and being told by game companies that's all it takes to make good games. I loved it when you bought a game, and instead of worrying about how well your computer will show the great features, you worried about wasting days in front of a monitor or tv. I can only think of a handful of games that have come out in the last couple of years that had good gameplay to them, and were fun.

Now I will say that Stalker looks amazing, and from what I've read about the back story, sounds pretty cool, too. I just really hope the rest of the game is there.
Old 03-16-03, 07:23 PM   #27
The Baron

Quote:
Distributed computing
What The Hell Does THAT Mean In Regards To A Game?!?!?!
Old 03-17-03, 12:19 AM   #28
Ratchet
The Tool

Send a message via ICQ to Ratchet Send a message via MSN to Ratchet

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob_B
The screenshot of the paint peeling off the wall is most impressive. There is also some new screenshots at the S.T.A.L.K.E.R site:
http://www.stalker-game.com/index.php?t=news

Now if only they can include good game play to go along with the graphics this will be a must buy.
That's just a high resolution texture, nothing special about it. The paint isn't actually peeling off. You can tell by finding the similar bits of peeled paint on the near wall and the wall by the window, they have the exact same shadow even though the walls are at different angles.

The screenshots look good though, the only thing that I noticed that sucks is in this screenshot you can see that they have that grass (or shrubs in this case) popping up as you move along thing similar in games such as Serious Sam and SOF2. I think that really really sucks, I'd prefer no realistic grass at all to that. And hello, ever heard of Anisotropic filtering or Anti-Aliasing? I know that if I were going to take some screenshots to build the hype of my game then I'd want it to look as good as possible, framerate be damned.
Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-03, 12:34 AM   #29
Neova

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
What The Hell Does THAT Mean In Regards To A Game?!?!?!
The server code supports multiprocessor and multiple cpus in a cluster setup. Think massively multiplayer across 20 servers and for it to show up as one gamer world / server.

Interesting and could be the beginning of the TRUE poor-mans scalable internet game server(s).
Neova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-03, 07:52 AM   #30
lukar

The screenshot are taken without AA and AF ON. Looks ugly. I can't stand edges which looks like sprites.
They used CG language, and that's B.S.
lukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-03, 08:17 AM   #31
panzaman

quote "And it's not a bunch of PR BS, the NV30 will run it with more features than the 9700 because it has a larger max instruction set! "

9700 shader engine is in some instances 10x faster than the FX shader engine. See HardOcp review of FX5200 and FX5600.
BFG 6600GTOC 128mb
Windows XP SP2
panzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-03, 09:59 AM   #32
lukar

Guys, you forgot that Radeon 9800 has unlimited set of shader instruction, so it can run with more instruction than GFX, and performing as twice as fast
lukar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-03, 04:17 PM   #33
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by Neova
The server code supports multiprocessor and multiple cpus in a cluster setup. Think massively multiplayer across 20 servers and for it to show up as one gamer world / server.

Interesting and could be the beginning of the TRUE poor-mans scalable internet game server(s).
Oi Vey, that's what I thought it would mean...

SCHWANKY! Reminds me of trying to hack this together in Unreal 1 with its lauded "portal technology" (HAH), except this time it MIGHT actually work.

Damn, you could write an MMORPG mod for it. Double Oi.
Old 03-17-03, 04:20 PM   #34
Brimstone

So does the engine have high dynamic range lighting (overbright)?
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-03, 12:02 PM   #35
emailthatguy

totally correct. always be skeptical of any game written by anyone we dont know. and as far as graphics go, im even more skeptical. i mean, how many programmers in the world are really good enough to code graphics like that super efficiently. not many or everyone would be making doom3 clones.
No more ati | Athlon64 X2 6000+ Black | Asrock Mobo | 4GB RAM | 250 GB Maxtor Sata | Soundblaster X-fi XtremeGamer | EVGA 8800 GTS | HP w1907 Monitor | Logitech Z-680 Speakers | Audiovox PNP3 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner | Sidewinder Mouse| Vista Home Premium | Logitech G15 Keyboard
emailthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote