Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-27-06, 10:32 PM   #1
linuxNC

Default nVidia settings app in system tray?

New to Linux. Just did a fresh PCLINUXOS v93a install. Followed the directions to install the latest nforce drivers (9746 - 32bit) for my geforce 7900gs vid card. I believe it went smoothly - seems to be working. However, what I remember/had from a previous dual-boot installation where I was trialing linux distros that I was able to get a nvidia icon/button to show up in my tray after doing a "Add application to Panel" process. Now that I have a full install, I just can't seem to find it anywhere?

I can run "nvidia-settings" in a command window and it works great, but I want to have it in my panel/tray so that I can quickly launch it from my KDE desktop to check video card temp and make any other adjustments as necessary (including my overclocking settings on every restart ). Can someone please tell me how to make this app appear again?

Thanks,
linuxNC
linuxNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 02:11 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nVidia settings app in system tray?

I'm not familiar with KDE and can't answer your system tray question (you may want to ask on a KDE forum). As to reloading settings after an X restart, this can be accomplished by running `nvidia-settings --load-config-only` from a startup script; for information on how to apply clock changes automatically, please see http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...hapter-04.html.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 06:39 PM   #3
intangible

Default Re: nVidia settings app in system tray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxNC
New to Linux. Just did a fresh PCLINUXOS v93a install. Followed the directions to install the latest nforce drivers (9746 - 32bit) for my geforce 7900gs vid card. I believe it went smoothly - seems to be working. However, what I remember/had from a previous dual-boot installation where I was trialing linux distros that I was able to get a nvidia icon/button to show up in my tray after doing a "Add application to Panel" process. Now that I have a full install, I just can't seem to find it anywhere?

I can run "nvidia-settings" in a command window and it works great, but I want to have it in my panel/tray so that I can quickly launch it from my KDE desktop to check video card temp and make any other adjustments as necessary (including my overclocking settings on every restart ). Can someone please tell me how to make this app appear again?

Thanks,
linuxNC
What you want can be accomplished with a wonderful little app called "alltray" http://alltray.sf.net
intangible is offline   Reply With Quote