Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-28-06, 10:17 AM   #1
superklye

Default Microsoft Content Management Server 2002

Has anyone else had the misfortune of using this junk heap content management system? I cannot get over how incredibly terrible it is: besides from the countless bugs that I won’t even begin to talk about, IT HAS NO CODING STANDARS AT ALL!

EVERYTHING is table-based. I am from the “tables are for holding tabular data, not laying out a page” camp and use 100% CSS for all my designing/positioning.

It uses font tags (sometimes 3 or 4 or even more) for any sort of font-related changes (size, color, etc).

We have some plugin that makes the in-browser editor (the only way you can edit anyway) more like FrontPage in that it’s got a “design” view that’s identical to work (and without a doubt the reason the backend code is so atrocious).

I’m sitting here, coding in Notepad++ (since Dreamweaver isn’t allowed for whatever reason and I refuse to use FrontPage for ethical reasons), putting quotes on all my tag attributes, making sure everything is lowercase to conform with XHTML standards, etc…I copy code into the code view of the browser, save and IMMEDIATELY, all my formatting (indents and all that jazz to make the code readable) is stripped, all of the quotes are taken away, and attributes are rewritten using capital letters all over the place.

It’s so damned frustrating!

Plus, there’s no virtual file system that allows one to easily drag and drop files into directories and then link. No. The only way to add files (and link to them) is to go through this archaic and retarded web-based interface that ALWAYS starts at the up-most level and requires you to drill down through the tree to find what you’re looking for. I’ve spent 20 minutes trying to find this file with no luck yet. It’s ridiculous.

There is so much more I could say, but my God. What’s the point? WORST CMS EVER!
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 09:09 PM   #2
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Default Re: Microsoft Content Management Server 2002

Hey Superkyle,

Sorry for the late reply. I only just realized we had a Developers Forum . I've been wanting one for years but for some reason I only just spotted this existed.

I've been involved in a couple of CMS projects for two different companies. We did review Microsoft CMS but didn't go with. We decided against it because it seemed more like a platform than an out-of-the-box solution. I am currentl dealing with this pain in the ass called Vignette.

I'm not suprised to hear MS using tables for everything. Even Visual Studio still does that, especially 2003. Ever trying running FxCop on Visual Studio generated code? You will discover that Microsofts tools generate code that fails their own tests. And yeah it loves to capitalize half your HTML and remove the quotation marks are parameter values - BAD Microsoft! BAD! NO COOKIE 4 U!

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 09:20 PM   #3
superklye

Yeah, it's effing terrible.

I was in a 3 hour meeting on Thursday and a 6 hour meeting on Friday with two consultants from Molecular--some technology consulting firm out in Boston--interviewing end users from all different areas and everyone HATES MS CMS.

I have a bunch of phone calls/meetings with them and other people all week, then they come back in 3 weeks for more interviews/discussion and finally again in 7 weeks (from now) with their huge report and advice on where to go from here.

I'm almost positive we'll be getting a new CMS and I for one am excited as hell about it. I hope we get SharePoint 2007 to be perfectly honest. I used 2003 quite a bit and became a pro at InfoPath 2003...from everything I hear, the 2007 version of both are amazing. Since I'm leading this project, hopefully my previous experience has some sway.
Old 01-09-07, 08:08 AM   #4
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Hey if theres a chance in hell they would go with a non-MS solution, check out Plone: http://www.plone.org

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 08:55 AM   #5
superklye

Heh, thanks...I've used Plone in the past (about 3 years ago) and it was pretty cumbersome. It seemed nice though and had a great community around it. Sadly though, we're an MS shop and so whatever we use has to be MS or MS-compatible.