Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-28-06, 11:26 AM   #1
asdere

Default 1.0-9746, 1080i output and interlaced video

When resolution is setup for 1920x1080 interlaced, playing any 1080i mpeg-2 video causes a stuttering effect "sometimes". This shows up primarily during motion panning scenes. It can also be viewed "sometimes" when pausing, you can see part of the next frame. The "sometimes" may be a bit confusing... it happens randomly when viewing the same parts of the video clip, ie, it may or may not happen when viewing the exact same time sequence.

This has been a problem from 1.0-8756 up to 1.0-9746. Last version that did not exhibit this was 1.0-8178/1.0-8183. I have tried VGA, DVI and Component outputs, same symptoms. My suspicions points back towards the 1.0-8756 release notes: # Fixed interlaced modes on CRTs.

Sample clip:
ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/spezial/emotion.mpg

Sample command: mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 -fs -vc mpeg12, -ao alsa:device=hw=0.0 -ac hwac3, -vo xv -dr /video/emotion.mpg
* Tried ffmpeg12 codec - same problem
* Tried ffmpeg12mc codec, xvmc output - same problem
* Tried gl2 output - same problem
* Tried with/without -dr, -nodouble, and even removing dbe extension.
* Mythtv 0.20 - same problem
* Tried without audio
* Multiple kernels, from 2.6.16 - 2.6.19.1 - same problem (FC4 up to FC6)
* Multiple video cards. 6200TC, 6600, 6150, 7800gt, 7900gt - same problem
* With/without XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank and XVideoBlitterSyncToVBlank (and the Opengl ones)

Progressive video files plays fine, or at least do not have the stuttering effect.
Deinterlacing helps, but does add artifacts and increase CPU load.

nvidia-settings -q RefreshRate shows 60.05, which is a bit strange. Even tweaking my modelines radically, nvidia-settings -q RefreshRate always shows 60.05 even though Xorg.0.log shows 59.9 (or 119.9).

Downgrading to 1.0-8183, problem goes away. But, I'd have to output via VGA and use a VGA->Component transcoder, since video playback via DVI/1080i was buggy until 1.0-9742(beta).
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (38.9 KB, 136 views)
asdere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 10:38 AM   #2
xyzzyx

Default Re: 1.0-9746, 1080i output and interlaced video

I believe I see the same problem with my 7300 card but I see it in 1024x768 when playing 1080i video.

MPlayer seems to show this problem more frequently than xine for whatever reason.

It also seems like the first time I play a video with a fresh started X server, the problem happens less frequently vs. the next times the same video is played.
xyzzyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 09:53 AM   #3
mrosack

Smile Re: 1.0-9746, 1080i output and interlaced video

I am having a similar issue also. I've had a myth box set up for about a month now, and have been unable to run it in 1080i because the previous drivers always locked up the X-server when I tried to play any type of video. With the newest driver all video plays fine, except 1080i transport streams.

I've tried running with XVMC and with only XV, and XV seems to work the best (i get about 30-40% CPU utilization on my Athlon 64 3200+), but I get a stuttering that comes and goes (maybe 10 seconds good, 10 seconds bad). I also see a refresh rate of 60.05 in nvidia-settings, no matter the modeline I use.

I was originally using the onboard 6150 on my Asus A8N-VM CSM, but I figured the stuttering might be a problem caused by not enough bandwidth to the 6150 or something, so I bought a PCI-E 6600 LE. Same exact behavior, so I'm figuring it's a driver issue. If you guys can get this one last bug worked out, I'll be incredibly happy!
mrosack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-07, 05:00 PM   #4
dkossman
Don in LA

I have a similar problem - latest Ubuntu Edgy, latest nvidia 9746 binary drivers, pchdtv-5500 ATSC tuner, nvidia 6200 AGP card. mpeg2 HD playback stutters badly either with a stream piped from the tuner, or from a file. Has anyone made any progress on this?

i've tried both component out and DVI->HDMI to my Sony 1080p TV, same problem. To add to the list of a poster above, I've also tried xxmc with gxine, which adds mpeg2 decompression in hardware (as i understand it)...

thanks in advance for pointers...
dkossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 01:01 PM   #5
bmh129

I'm having a similar problem. Here's my setup:

ASUS GeForce 6200TC PCI Express (up to 256 MB) with x86_64 9746 driver
Athlon64 3000+
FC6 x86_64
MythTV suite (latest FC6/ATRPMS/FreshRPMS packages)
Xine (latest packages)
Mplayer (latest packages)
1 gigabyte dual channel DDR400
40 main HD in ext3 fs
250 data HD (MythTV) in JFS fs

My initial setup seemed good for about a week until recently when some of my HD channels began stuttering even during commercials that were only in 480i/p. Some of the HD channels remained playable, but those channels were only broadcasting SD/ED (480i/p) at the time.

Originally, I noticed MythTV and MythVideo were playing PCM instead of Dolby, so I adjusted MythTV to output passthrough digital, thinking it may free up some processing power. But that only made it worse. My audio decoder began going through cycles of 'losing' the digital stream to 'regaining' it, which increased the stuttering. The audio decoder cannot be held liable, because it works fine with commercial dvd players and Xine dvd. Oddly, disabling XvMC eliminates the audio decoder signal loss problem. However, the processor I have is borderline HDTV capable and probably requires hardware acceleration for reliable playback. Playing HDTV with Dolby Digital and without XvMC leads to dropped frames. Playing HDTV with PCM and without XvMC leads to fewer dropped frames, but that's still not reliable enough.

Also of note, playback of previously recorded HD material "appears" smoother, but Dolby Digital with XvMC is still not an option. This appearance is not scientific, only observed with the naked eye.

It may be easy to blame my weak processor on my problems, but those problems should get better, not worse, when XvMC is enabled.

I believe there is a problem in the latest nVidia driver, particularly the XvMC implementation.
bmh129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 02:27 PM   #6
PenGun

Xvmc's deinterlacer is kinda primative but it does work:

mplayer -vo xvmc:bobdeint:queue -vo ffmpeg12mc thefile

queue allows processing of several pages
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 02:27 PM   #7
Observer64

I'm currently using Ubuntu Edgy with nVidia drivers 9746. Processor is a 1.8GHz P4. 1 Gig RAM. I can play a 1080i video clip at full res without problems if I'm using XvMC in Mplayer.

To the original poster: could you post the console output of Mplayer when you try to play the video clip using XvMC and ffmpeg12mc? That may indicate whether the hardware acceleration is being initialized properly.

Additionally, something else to check is your /etc/X11/XvMCConfig file. Be sure that it points to libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1

That file is a symbolic link which points to the specific NVIDIA module. Also check that the link is in the main /usr/lib directory and not in an NVIDIA-xxxx subdirectory.

My understandings concerning MythTV are that proper implementation of XvMC will not work until the next release due to a way the playback engine initializes the video texture.

Feel free to correct any errors here.
Observer64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 03:29 PM   #8
bmh129

After more testing, I've decided that the Dolby Digital problem is purely coincidental and not related to XvMC. Apparently, my local ABC affiliate is having problems with its digital channel's audio. Other channels work fine in Dolby.

However, XvMC is still a problem, and I've found a (temporary) solution in software by utilizing libmpeg2 and linear blend. It's not the best visually, but it's smooth. Until XvMC is working for me, it'll have to do.

As for my XvMC setup, Observer64 may be on to something. I had followed other instructions that said to make a text file at /etc/X11/XvMCConfig that contained one line of text "libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1". A symbolic link would be a slightly different animal, and so I will try that and report back.

Old 02-12-07, 04:39 PM   #9
PenGun

I just reinstalled slak to 11 - current. I notice xvmc works fine with nothing but xorg.conf in /etc/X11. That makes sense as it's the Nvidia installer that adds the xvmc libs.

You need to build mplayer with xvmc although I believe xine will work.

Mplayer needs --enable-xvmc --with-xvmclib=XvMCNVIDIA to build support for xvmc.
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-07, 12:44 AM   #10
bmh129

Latest update:

XvMC seems to be working for me in Xine now with xxmc after having changed the /etc/X11/XvMCConfig to have one line of text "/usr/lib64/nvidia-graphics-1.0-9746/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1" instead of just "libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1"

I'm still having some problems in MythTV's Live TV XvMC playback, but that is for another forum.