Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-02-07, 02:51 AM   #1
slogum

Default Black screen (no signal) when entering Virtual Console

Hello there! I installed Linux with the OpenSuse distro couple of days ago so I'm totally noob

After a few hours I managed to install the nvidia drivers for my screen card, geforce 8800 gts.
(NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.11-pkg2.run)

I'm running on a 19" widescreen and using the resolution 1400x900. Gnome runs fine, but the problem is when I push ctrl alt f1 to enter the virtual console. The screen goes black and my monitor says no signal. I then push ctrl alt f7 to get back in desktop and everything works fine there. I guess the monitor cant handle 1400x900 in virtual console or something, but I'm not sure.

Anyone who know the solution for this problem? Remember I'm new to linux so don't be to advanced in your explanations
slogum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 01:09 PM   #2
FirebirdV0273

Default Re: Black screen (no signal) when entering Virtual Console

Slogum, I'm having a similar problem. When I try to switch back to console while the X server is running or kill the X server and drop back to console I get a display with a bunch of multicolored garbage pixels painted on it instead of readable text. I got the nvidia kernel module from NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run and my uname -a is
Linux slack 2.6.21.5-smp #2 SMP Tue Jun 19 14:58:11 CDT 2007 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
My kernel is the slackware 12.0 default install kernel.

So just as with slogum's problem, after launching the X server all of my virtual consoles are fouled up. I get some display, but not one with any text, just an array of different colored garbage pixels.
FirebirdV0273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-07, 02:12 AM   #3
FirebirdV0273

Slogum, I have one suggestion for you, it worked for me. You may currently be using a framebuffer console, which enables you to use the console at higher resolutions. If I use the normal vga mode instead of the high resolution framebuffer console then I don't see any problems after the X server loads. You can change to the normal vga mode if you are using lilo as your bootloader by editing /etc/lilo.conf You need to find the line that says "vga = xxx" and change it to "vga = normal". If you are using grub to boot, then I don't know what file or line within that file you need to edit, but it would be some grub config file

oh, nearly forgot... if you edit lilo.conf you must run /sbin/lilo to update the bootloader. if you don't then the next time you boot you will still be using the same options, it doesn't read the lilo.conf file every time.
FirebirdV0273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 05:56 AM   #4
lloeki
Arch Linux

for the record: /boot/grub/menu.lst
lloeki is offline   Reply With Quote