Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-07, 12:32 PM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Total freeze with 7300LE using NVidia drivers under Ubuntu

Yes, you'd need a serial cable (AKA null modem cable) to setup a serial console between two systems.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 12:40 PM   #14
atonello

ok, I'll need more time to retrieve it..
atonello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 04:30 PM   #15
atonello

Oh, my...!
There's no serial connector on the rear of my motherboard (Asus A8R32)!
I gave it for granted but now I see there's none... the back panel has only a parallel port, 2 ethernet and some usb ones.
Any chance I might use the parallel port? What I've in mind is this Interlink cable, here: http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/parallel.html
Old 01-05-07, 04:37 PM   #16
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I doubt that you could use a parallel port for this purpose, or at least I've never heard of anyone doing it that way.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 04:46 PM   #17
atonello

Yes, I see...
so there's no chance I can go any further with trying to solve this problem?
sigh!
Old 01-05-07, 05:19 PM   #18
Mephisto1982

Send a message via ICQ to Mephisto1982

I don't think I've ever had my system freeze while playing UT2004, but i did have crashes in that game recently, and they may be related, cause i think they started happening at about the same time the lockups started, while it *never* crashed with the same version on the old system. However, I just played 2k4 for 3 hours straight and never had my game crash on me today. I should test with warcraft 3 though, as the lockups occurred most frequently while playing that, but for now it seems to have improved stability to turn off the hardware virtualization. If you have a recent AMD or Intel system with hardware virtualisation, try turning that off and see if it helps anything.

[edit:] also, can't help you with serial console messages, since this machine has no serial port. There's a connector on the mobo, but i cant find a connector for it anywhere (i wanted it for my tv-card's remote control). Seems like most vendors have written off the old serial port by now
Mephisto1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 06:05 PM   #19
atonello

thank you Mephisto1982,
my AMD X2 has no virtualization, though, it's on socket 939.
Quote:
Seems like most vendors have written off the old serial port by now
Yes, it's a pity, especially considering that they removed the serial port, leaving an empty space...
Old 01-10-07, 12:12 AM   #20
vapir

Unhappy Re: Total freeze with 7300LE using NVidia drivers under Ubuntu

I got exactly the same problem as antanello.

EVGA 7900GT, ASUS A8R32-MVP, X2 4400+... Problems are only apparent using the nvidia driver.
I think it could have something to do with other cards on the PCIe bus, but I'm not sure of that.

The easiest way to provoke the problem was to open a vnc session on the computer, start doing some graphic intensive tasks. Graphics in addition to network traffic (Intel Pro/1000 Dual Server Adapter) is sure to lock the system within half an hour.

After that only a reset can get the system back to life. No errors anywhere
No single workaround posted to date is of any use here. Windows (XP x64) is rock solid though.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (82.1 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by vapir; 01-10-07 at 12:23 AM.
vapir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-07, 05:14 PM   #21
wayupnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by atonello
Yes, I see...
so there's no chance I can go any further with trying to solve this problem?
sigh!
I'm having similar lock-ups myself w/ both an ati 8500le and gf 7600gs. You could try the solution to the "no serial port"-problem presented here: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/492 , the part in question is titled The netconsole kernel module.
wayupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-07, 04:09 AM   #22
JoachimF

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapir
I got exactly the same problem as antanello.
EVGA 7900GT, ASUS A8R32-MVP, X2 4400+... Problems are only apparent using the nvidia driver.
I think it could have something to do with other cards on the PCIe bus, but I'm not sure of that.

The easiest way to provoke the problem was to open a vnc session on the computer, start doing some graphic intensive tasks. Graphics in addition to network traffic (Intel Pro/1000 Dual Server Adapter) is sure to lock the system within half an hour.

After that only a reset can get the system back to life. No errors anywhere
No single workaround posted to date is of any use here. Windows (XP x64) is rock solid though.
So.. did you solve this problem?

Me and at least 2 others (apart from you and Antonello) also have ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe motherboards and Gf 7-series graphics cards and are experiencing the same problems. Lockups are solid, no grace time during which you can rsh in or use magic SysRq-key. The system is stable when not using the nvidia-driver, (and also stable in XP).

Btw, I can recommend using Warcraft III to trigger the problem. The computer usually dies within 1-2 minutes. Playing gweled also seems to trigger it, but after a good while longer (~15 minutes, but to sometimes as long as 45 minutes).
JoachimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-07, 05:03 AM   #23
amillsx

NVidia 7300LE 256 mb + A64 X2 4200+ ... that's exactly what I have and it doesn't work either. Look at my post (a few hours ago) and I'll look at yours....
amillsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 09:38 PM   #24
Maeztro

Hi,

I'm having the same problems, my computer freezes when running opengl games like quake 3 and 4, urban terror, doom 3, etc. The screen image freezes and appears some vertical lines decomposing the image, as if it was a painting and I had thrown some water on it. It could pass a week without a freeze but it can happen two or three times in the same night. just one time has happened while not playing and it seems that is just an X crash in all cases, sometimes the audio of the game continues or I have been able to continue to hear people on teamspeak after the freeze. I thought that it could be a heating problem but having the nvidia settings panel opened and continually switching to it while playing and up until some few minutes before the freeze and I haven't seen the card temperature go above 60 which as far as I know isn't an overheating temperature. My card is a PNY geforce 7600 gt 512MB.
Maeztro is offline   Reply With Quote