Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-03-07, 02:02 PM   #13
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Default Re: console/HD on lcd or plasma?

i'm am aware that the set only accepts a 1080i signal, but for a 50" display that does 1080i and has a resolution of 1920x1200 resolution for my computer is exactly what i am looking for, plus the price of the display is right around 1500.

my only question, to those of you that own dlp tvs, is the vertical viewing angle really as bad as they say it is, ie without looking head on at the tv, it dims down to nothing and can hardly be seen

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 02:10 PM   #14
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio
my only question, to those of you that own dlp tvs, is the vertical viewing angle really as bad as they say it is, ie without looking head on at the tv, it dims down to nothing and can hardly be seen
Depends on the quality of the TV. I've got a 140 degree viewing angle on my LCoS which is near perfect.
Old 01-03-07, 05:35 PM   #15
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
I suggest you read up on that model. Make sure that it can "accept" a 1080p signal... not just display one. Some earlier sets were not able to accept a 1080p signal.
the specs say 1080p over component and hdmi, which is awsome, as the 50" sony is 1080p only over hdmi..... now i just need to find a reseller to see this thing in person

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 05:41 PM   #16
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

So it only does 1080i over VGA?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 05:44 PM   #17
grey_1

Just curious, a coworker just had circuit city out to repair his samsung lcd. The repair tech told him the PS3 burnt out the 'vision sensor' in the tv, and to not use ANY consoles with it. he and his son bought it for gaming, they have both ps3 and xbox 360. He said it outputs 1080i only. I'll ask him the model number tomorrow, but that sounds screwy to me. That repair tech bsing him?
Old 01-03-07, 05:54 PM   #18
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio
is it possible to find a dlp set with a vga/dvi input? because using a decent sized 1080p display with my pc is something i would love to do.
Yep. My WD-52631 52 inch DLP Mitsubishi has a DVI-I pc connection as well as 2 HDMI and 2 component inputs. It outputs 1080P and it also accepts a 1080P input signal over HDMi and DVI. Circuit City has it on sale for $1899 although I picked it up for $1699 on black Friday. Excellent quality.
Old 01-03-07, 06:17 PM   #19
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Just curious, a coworker just had circuit city out to repair his samsung lcd. The repair tech told him the PS3 burnt out the 'vision sensor' in the tv, and to not use ANY consoles with it. he and his son bought it for gaming, they have both ps3 and xbox 360. He said it outputs 1080i only. I'll ask him the model number tomorrow, but that sounds screwy to me. That repair tech bsing him?
Vision sensor? AFAIK vision sensors are mini cameras that are used for testing video equipment. It's possible that Samsung has some type of vision sensor installed in their LCD TVs that monitor and detect video noise or aliasing and then apply different levels of digital noise reduction or edge enhancements to help improve the image. As per a gaming console causing the so called "vision sensor" to burn out that makes absolutely no sense what so ever. A console acts like any other device you might decide to attach to an LCD TV. All it is doing is outputting a video signal at a specified frequency and resolution. That tech is full of it!

One other thing... LCDs are progressive by design. How is it possible that your buddy claims that his Samsung only displays a resolution of 1080i? Sounds strange of you ask me.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 07:02 PM   #20
grey_1

Quote:
Vision sensor? AFAIK vision sensors are mini cameras that are used for testing video equipment. It's possible that Samsung has some type of vision sensor installed in their LCD TVs that monitor and detect video noise or aliasing and then apply different levels of digital noise reduction or edge enhancements to help improve the image. As per a gaming console causing the so called "vision sensor" to burn out that makes absolutely no sense what so ever. A console acts like any other device you might decide to attach to an LCD TV. All it is doing is outputting a video signal at a specified frequency and resolution. That tech is full of it!

One other thing... LCDs are progressive by design. How is it possible that your buddy claims that his Samsung only displays a resolution of 1080i? Sounds strange of you ask me.
The thing sounded strange, which was why I was asking. I'm not up at all on the technology in tv's these days. he just knows I game alot so he asked my opinion. I think he's being given the runaround too, I just don't know enough to refute it.

I knew if I asked here I'd get a good answer. Thanks.

Old 01-03-07, 07:24 PM   #21
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

I just received a HLS-5688W yesterday (upgraded from an HLR-5067W), and yes, it has 1080p on all relevant inputs (HDMI, Component, VGA)... I'm still struggling tho on what input I want; VGA or component. VGA is nice because of upconverting DVDs, however, I think I like component for everything else (HD-DVD, games).

The LED sets are nice, however their contrast ratio isn't really all that great compared to UHP bulb units. As far as DLPs go, you should go check a local store to see if you experience the infamous "rainbow effect". If you see it on one DLP, most likely you'll see it on another (unless of course it is LED based).

If you are in the market for the xx88W models, you might want to look at the xx87W models as well (just as good, still have 10-bit processing, they just don't have cablecard and a few other minor features).

BTW, the Samsung DLP sets are some of the best in the market (IMHO).
Old 01-03-07, 07:29 PM   #22
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad hoc
I just received a HLS-5688W yesterday (upgraded from an HLR-5067W), and yes, it has 1080p on all relevant inputs (HDMI, Component, VGA)... I'm still struggling tho on what input I want; VGA or component. VGA is nice because of upconverting DVDs, however, I think I like component for everything else (HD-DVD, games).

The LED sets are nice, however their contrast ratio isn't really all that great compared to UHP bulb units. As far as DLPs go, you should go check a local store to see if you experience the infamous "rainbow effect". If you see it on one DLP, most likely you'll see it on another (unless of course it is LED based).

If you are in the market for the xx88W models, you might want to look at the xx87W models as well (just as good, still have 10-bit processing, they just don't have cablecard and a few other minor features).

BTW, the Samsung DLP sets are some of the best in the market (IMHO).
Congrats on the purchase ad hoc! Did you already try to connect your 360 to the Sammy using the VGA cable option? If so did you experience the "washed out" look that I did or was the image just as good as the results you get with the component cables?
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 08:24 PM   #23
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Exclamation Re: console/HD on lcd or plasma?

Quote:
Congrats on the purchase ad hoc! Did you already try to connect your 360 to the Sammy using the VGA cable option? If so did you experience the "washed out" look that I did or was the image just as good as the results you get with the component cables?
Thanks! I suppose I really didn't need it (cause I had the HLR5067 before), however I wanted to up the size a bit, and have the luxury of 1080p

I did try the both VGA and the component. The VGA has a *slight* color degredation (nothing that can't be optimized, though), but nothing near the horrendous results people have explained before on forums like www.avsforum.com. In fact, if I wasn't scrutinizing the output, I wouldn't really have noticed a difference.

I DID notice a slight "trapezoidal" effect to the picture with the VGA, similar to CRTs. This is where one side of the image is lower (or higher) with respect to the other. Not a big deal, but noticable.

Another thing with the VGA is that the ouptut is something like 95% of the screen (on my set, about 1inch black border on all sides), and in order to fill the screen you have to manually adust the position and size using a special button on the remote (dubbed p. size). This can be seen as a good thing sto some, because you don't get any overscan unless you manually set it up that way.
Old 01-03-07, 09:01 PM   #24
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Hey ad hoc... can you post any pictures of your set? I am thinking about getting the HL-S5087W (which is practically the same thing, but cheaper and a few features, like PIP, short from what I have read on AVS)...

Thanks.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote