Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-07, 09:40 AM   #61
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Default Re: console/HD on lcd or plasma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182
the 360 doesn't have a dvi out... although I wish it did
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83686

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 11:43 AM   #62
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
I haven't read much of the thread, but if you want big bang for your buck, look no further than a modern DLP or LCoS set.

If you want "smaller" set:

Samsung 50" HLS87/88 1080p DLP
Sony 50" A2000 1080p LCoS

Medium sets:

Samsung 56" hls87/88 1080p DLP
JVC 56" FN/FH97 1080p LCoS

Large sets;

Samsung 61" -"- -"-
JVC 61" -"- -"-
Sony 60" A2000
MustangSVT et al, good choices...

However, as with anything you're in the market for, you should really go out to a store and SEE the TVs before you buy. I can't stress this enough. Best specs in the world don't mean a thing if you see rainbows, smudges, green blobs, silkscreen effect (unfortunately common to any RPTV) etc. Getting recommendations from people who've owned or personally seen certain TVs is great in order to narrow down choices, but nothing should take over the need for the buyer to decide based on his/her own viewing experience (also, bring your own sources to the store to check out the TVs, don't settle for the sub-par demo signals!).
Old 01-05-07, 01:25 PM   #63
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad hoc
MustangSVT et al, good choices...

However, as with anything you're in the market for, you should really go out to a store and SEE the TVs before you buy. I can't stress this enough. Best specs in the world don't mean a thing if you see rainbows, smudges, green blobs, silkscreen effect (unfortunately common to any RPTV) etc. Getting recommendations from people who've owned or personally seen certain TVs is great in order to narrow down choices, but nothing should take over the need for the buyer to decide based on his/her own viewing experience (also, bring your own sources to the store to check out the TVs, don't settle for the sub-par demo signals!).
I agree 100% but the problem is that most people only have access to consumer electronics stores like Best Buy or Circuit City. The set ups in those stores are horrible at best. There are specialty shops that will let you demo a TV in optimal conditions but they are to few in number.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 01:39 PM   #64
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
I agree 100% but the problem is that most people only have access to consumer electronics stores like Best Buy or Circuit City. The set ups in those stores are horrible at best. There are specialty shops that will let you demo a TV in optimal conditions but they are to few in number.
You're right... However, when I purchased my (now sold) HLR5067 from Best Buy, I was able to test my own DVD player and media on the TVs I was looking at... I just had to ask, and once they looked at me funny, I told them how could they expect me to down $3000 on a new TV without hooking up my own media to it? Plus, the do have a return policy...
Old 01-05-07, 01:46 PM   #65
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad hoc
You're right... However, when I purchased my (now sold) HLR5067 from Best Buy, I was able to test my own DVD player and media on the TVs I was looking at... I just had to ask, and once they looked at me funny, I told them how could they expect me to down $3000 on a new TV without hooking up my own media to it? Plus, the do have a return policy...
This point you're making reminds me of how a friend of mine and his then girlfriend (they're now married) went out to shop for a new TV a few years ago. They brought along a large black fleece blanket. Once they saw a model that they were interested in they would either crouch down or pull up a chair and throw the blanket over the TV and themselves in an attempt to block all the ambient lighting inside the store. Then they'd proceed to try and tweak the TV settings with a reference DVD they also had with them. They ended up buying a rear projection Hitachi (I forget the model number).
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.

Last edited by ENU291; 01-05-07 at 02:14 PM.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 01:53 PM   #66
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
This point you're making reminds me of how a friend of mine and his then girlfriend (they're now married) went out to shop for a new TV a few years ago. They brought along a large black fleece blanket. Once they saw a model that the were interested in they would either crouch down or pull up a chair and throw the blanket over the TV and themselves in an attempt to block all the ambient lighting inside the store. Then they'd proceed to try and tweak the TV settings with a reference DVD they also had with them. They ended up buying a rear projection Hitachi (I forget the model number).
See? I'm not totally crazy... Just mostly

Yes, I did get the occasional glance, but hey, they weren't buying a new TV (tho they were probably buying $120 cables and $200 "surge protectors"). My fiancee hates to go shopping with me cause I always make a stir... Thankfully now I just go "window shopping" and just buy online
Old 01-09-07, 09:19 PM   #67
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

ok what TV's out there use HDMI 1.3? I went looking and I couldn't find that kind of information.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 09:32 PM   #68
betterdan

Quote:
ok what TV's out there use HDMI 1.3? I went looking and I couldn't find that kind of information.
According to this, no HDTVs are 1.3 compliant yet. Here's some info for you http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9667944-1.html

Quote:
The only currently confirmed devices with HDMI 1.3 are the PlayStation and the forthcoming Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player and Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 projector (model EPM-TW1000). We expect the majority of the HDMI-equipped products announced at CES 2007 to comply with the new standard.

If you've just bought an HDTV or other piece of gear with the old connection, don't fret. We don't expect any of the enhancements afforded by the connection to blow anyone's mind, and most won't even be available in content for a good long while. The ultimate bottleneck may be cable and satellite companies, whose boxes will need HDMI 1.3 upgrades, too--don't count on those anytime soon.

Of course, the mere presence of HDMI 1.3 does nothing to guarantee that a 1.3-equipped product--such as an HDTV, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, standard DVD player, or A/V receiver--actually offers any of these extras. It simply opens the door to enabling them. And that's where the confusion begins. I expect unwitting buyers soon will begin to confuse HDMI 1.3 with the features mentioned above, and with any others that may come down the pike. Even the features themselves are difficult to grasp, let alone remember--don't be surprised if "xvYCC" becomes "Hyper Color" sometime soon.

One encouraging thing to come out of the press event however: When directly asked whether HDMI 1.3 will require new cables, the HDMI spokesman let slip a detail that's sure to make the people at Monster Cable weep. He said 98 percent of existing HDMI cables would work fine with HDMI 1.3. So at least something's not obsolete.

Old 01-10-07, 09:27 AM   #69
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

**scratches head**

I'm glad I started to do research and read up on this stuff before jumping.

I was at a BB yesterday and the guy was saying something that HDMI 1.2 doesn't send 1080p straight through the cable, but uses 1080i and up converts at the signal ends. I personally think he was full of it becuase that contradicts what I have read... but you never know...

I went and looked at the samsung 50 and 56 inch DLP sets and didn't see any rain bow in the screen. So far due to being able to take 1080p through VGA, they are probably the strongest candidate.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
Old 01-10-07, 10:00 PM   #70
betterdan

Quote:
**scratches head**

I was at a BB yesterday and the guy was saying something that HDMI 1.2 doesn't send 1080p straight through the cable, but uses 1080i and up converts at the signal ends.

He is a dumbass. Every version of HDMI has supported 1080P. Now if the tv itself can't display 1080P or doesn't accept a 1080P signal but instead only accepts a 1080i signal and then upconverts it to 1080P then it's the fault of the tv NOT HDMI.
Here is a quote from this page http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/faq.asp#q6_3

Quote:
Q. What types of video does HDMI support?

HDMI has the capacity to support existing high-definition video formats (720p, 1080i, and 1080p/60). It also has the flexibility to support enhanced definition formats such as 480p, as well as standard definition formats such as NTSC or PAL.

Q. What version of HDMI does a consumer need to view 1080p content?

HDMI has always supported 1080p resolution, starting from version 1.0 in 2002. However, as with many functions that HDMI enables (such as DVD-Audio and SACD), it is up to the manufacturer to choose whether to implement 1080p in the device. Some TV and device manufacturers have chosen not to implement 1080p in their products because 1080p content has not been widely available, and because changing the internal electronics of the device to support 1080p would increase cost.

Viewing 1080p resolution requires at minimum that the HDTV have a display supporting the 1080p pixel resolution. Today, many HDTVs use display technologies (such as PDP, LCD, and microdisplay screens) designed for 720p pixel resolution.

In addition, many of today’s 1080p HDTVs support only 720p or 1080i on the HDMI input, then perform video processing to up-convert the 720p/1080i signal to 1080p. This is now changing, as 1080p content is becoming increasingly available, and HDTVs fully supporting 1080p in the display and HDMI electronics have begun to reach the market in early 2006.

All versions of HDMI are backward compatible. Consumers should not look for a particular version of HDMI, but rather for the functionality that they want the device to support (SACD, 1080p, etc.).

From Wikipedia here is a list of the HDMI revisions
Quote:
HDMI 1.0
Released December 2002.

Single-cable digital audio/video connection with a maximum bitrate of 4.9Gbps. Supports up to 165Mpixels/sec video (1080p60Hz or UXGA) and 8-channel/192kHz/24-bit audio.

HDMI 1.1
Released May 2004.

Added support for content protection metadata required for DVD Audio.

HDMI 1.2
Released August 2005.

Added support for One Bit Audio, used on Super Audio CDs, up to 8 channels.
Availability of HDMI Type A connector for PC sources.
Ability for PC sources to use native RGB color-space while retaining the option to support the YCbCr CE color space.
Requirement for HDMI 1.2 and later displays to support low-voltage sources.

HDMI 1.2a
Released December 2005.

Fully specifies Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) features, command sets, and CEC compliance tests.

HDMI 1.3
Released 22 June 2006.[1] [2]

Increases single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps)
Supports 30-bit, 36-bit, and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths or over one billion colors, up from 24-bit in previous versions.
Supports xvYCC color standards.
Incorporates automatic audio syncing (lip sync) capability.
Supports output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio streams for external decoding by AV receivers.[3] TrueHD and DTS-HD are lossless audio codec formats used on HD DVDs and Blu-ray Discs. If the disc player can decode these streams into uncompressed audio, then HDMI 1.3 is not necessary, as all versions of HDMI can transport uncompressed audio.
Availability of a new mini connector for devices such as camcorders.[4]
PlayStation 3 is the first product available on consumer market with HDMI 1.3.[5]
Epson has released the EMP-TW1000 as the first display supporting 30-bit deep color.[6]

HDMI 1.3a
Released 10 November 2006.[7]

Cable and Sink modifications for Type C
Source termination recommendation
Removed undershoot and maximum rise/fall time limits.
CEC capacitance limits changed
RGB video quantization range clarification
CEC commands for timer control brought back in an altered form, audio control commands added.
Matching compliance test specification included (no compliance test available for 1.3)
Old 01-11-07, 09:08 AM   #71
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

I knew he was a bit out of what was really going on, I had just not done enough research to really be able to correct him.
Old 01-13-07, 12:42 PM   #72
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Quote:
**scratches head**

I'm glad I started to do research and read up on this stuff before jumping.

I was at a BB yesterday and the guy was saying something that HDMI 1.2 doesn't send 1080p straight through the cable, but uses 1080i and up converts at the signal ends. I personally think he was full of it becuase that contradicts what I have read... but you never know...

I went and looked at the samsung 50 and 56 inch DLP sets and didn't see any rain bow in the screen. So far due to being able to take 1080p through VGA, they are probably the strongest candidate.
Let us know what you decide!

BTW, there is a recent Face Off in Home Theater Magazine (Feb 2007 issue) that compare the following RPTVs:

JVC HD-61FN97
Mistubishi WD-65731
Olevia 565H
Samsung HL-S6188W
Sony KDS-R60XBR2
Toshiba 62MX196

The TV's are judged base on:

Build Quality
Value
Features
Performance
Ergonomics

The Samsung was rated #1, the Sony XBR2 a close second. If you have a chance, and are in the market still, pick up the magazine and check it out. Plus, since many companies have annouced new lines from CES, you might be able to find a really good TV on sale...