Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-07, 12:28 PM   #73
stjuart

Default Re: console/HD on lcd or plasma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad hoc
Let us know what you decide!

BTW, there is a recent Face Off in Home Theater Magazine (Feb 2007 issue) that compare the following RPTVs:

JVC HD-61FN97
Mistubishi WD-65731
Olevia 565H
Samsung HL-S6188W
Sony KDS-R60XBR2
Toshiba 62MX196

The TV's are judged base on:

Build Quality
Value
Features
Performance
Ergonomics

The Samsung was rated #1, the Sony XBR2 a close second. If you have a chance, and are in the market still, pick up the magazine and check it out. Plus, since many companies have annouced new lines from CES, you might be able to find a really good TV on sale...
I have been really looking to find a good dlp tv since my panasonic had a convergence failure and i didnt want to fix it for 400 dollars, instead i just wanted to get a better tv but the samsung seems to have horrible reliability issues, especially with the model your talking about, also samsung seems to be horrible with its tech support and many people that have had issues went on many loop wholes, thats why i have been skeptical, and i was really leaning 90% towards the samsung but now iam kinda torn between the Mitsubishi WD-52631 52" 1080p DLP HDTV and one of the samsungs in the same class, and same price point around 1500-1700 dollars. here are some things people have said, go to amazon reviews and read it and see if you still want to take the plunge iam still undecided.
samsung user reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL-S50...&s=electronics
Mitsubishi user reviews
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d=STHJ5X60XRT0
stjuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 05:20 PM   #74
betterdan

I can vouch for the beautiful picture on the Mitsubishi WD-52631. Great set and that Amazon price is damn good but it is wrong when it says there are 3 component hookups, there are really 2 and there is also not a memory card reader like Amazon says.
Old 01-13-07, 10:50 PM   #75
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjuart
I have been really looking to find a good dlp tv since my panasonic had a convergence failure and i didnt want to fix it for 400 dollars, instead i just wanted to get a better tv but the samsung seems to have horrible reliability issues, especially with the model your talking about, also samsung seems to be horrible with its tech support and many people that have had issues went on many loop wholes, thats why i have been skeptical, and i was really leaning 90% towards the samsung but now iam kinda torn between the Mitsubishi WD-52631 52" 1080p DLP HDTV and one of the samsungs in the same class, and same price point around 1500-1700 dollars. here are some things people have said, go to amazon reviews and read it and see if you still want to take the plunge iam still undecided.
samsung user reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL-S50...&s=electronics
Mitsubishi user reviews
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d=STHJ5X60XRT0
I hope that doesn't happen to me!! Actually, I really didn't check up on reliability/customer support because I've had 3 samsung TVs in the past and never had a problem...
Old 01-13-07, 10:55 PM   #76
betterdan

Actually if you look at the comments on the bad quality of the Samsungs you will find something interesting.
Old 01-13-07, 11:01 PM   #77
stjuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
I can vouch for the beautiful picture on the Mitsubishi WD-52631. Great set and that Amazon price is damn good but it is wrong when it says there are 3 component hookups, there are really 2 and there is also not a memory card reader like Amazon says.
That doesnt bother me to much cause i really have no need for to many hookups from now on i have one thing in mind before spending 1500dollars and that is warranty first, and reliability, thats it, but thanks for the advice, I'am kinda leaning towards it more and more. one question, if i wait a few months do you think the mitsubishi is going to be become a little bit cheaper, i want it to be atleast 1300 dollars so adding the 300 dollar warranty and 90 dollar shipping it stay in the 1700 dollar range, i looked for a 720p version of it but couldnt find one so i just eyeing the 1080p one.
Old 01-13-07, 11:10 PM   #78
betterdan

Hmm I don't think it will drop that far down within a few months but who knows? By the way, I just looked it up on Circuit City's site and now it says $2099 after a $200 savings.
Old 01-14-07, 12:07 AM   #79
stjuart

Quote:
Hmm I don't think it will drop that far down within a few months but who knows? By the way, I just looked it up on Circuit City's site and now it says $2099 after a $200 savings.
yes most of the retail stores are complete rip off's.
Old 01-14-07, 02:15 PM   #80
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Quote:
Actually if you look at the comments on the bad quality of the Samsungs you will find something interesting.
Well, after looking around AVS forum of various RPTV threads (Sony A2000/XBR2, Mitsu 631/731, Samsung HLR/HLS, etc), *all* manufacturers seem to have "inept" customer care and less than stellar build quality (at least to the users' eyes whom their TVs failed..) I think it's safe to say that the squeeky wheel gets the grease in this case (i.e. happy customers aren't on the forums complaining).

But, after reviewing that "shadow" problem that appears around the end of the warranty period on recent Samsung displays, I'm glad I purchased my TV on my VISA! Since I'm a platinum member, they double the manufacturer's warranty. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 01-14-07, 02:18 PM   #81
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjuart
yes most of the retail stores are complete rip off's.
I've heard that CompUSA agrees to match internet prices if you are serious enough. And this is a good thing, cause you save money (though you pay tax), you get it locally (tax dollars put back into the community), and you'll have it within 1-2 days max.
Old 01-14-07, 05:04 PM   #82
betterdan

What I meant when I said "if you look at the comments on the bad quality of the Samsungs you will find something interesting." is that if you look at the comments on that Amazon link then you will find that one of the people giving them bad reviews looks like he is just doing it to bad mouth Samsung because this person wrote 3 different reviews on Samsung TVs within one month (all bad). Then one of the bad reviews is for a different tv not the one listed, and finally someone gave it a poor mark becuase they didn't understand the firwire limitation of this tv.
Old 01-15-07, 12:33 PM   #83
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

I'm a bit anxious about the Samsung set I was looking at. There more happy reviews than upset ones, but it seems as if they have reliability issues. People are really happy when they are working, but some are having issues with getting their broken sets repaired.

these are the two sets I am looking at:

http://samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/HLS5687WXXAA.asp

http://samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/HLS5087WXXAA.asp

I'm really fine with any brand as long as the picture is good, and it takes 1080p through VGA or component
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling

Last edited by thor1182; 01-15-07 at 01:48 PM.
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote