Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-03-07, 06:56 PM   #1
thomas_n

Lightbulb Advanced install mode? Compile under X for different kernel

Hi,

I'm running 9742 on a 2.6.18 kernel and just compiled and installed (but not yet booted) a 2.6.19.1 kernel.

Now I want to install the 9746 drivers (kernelmodule and userlandlibs) for the new kernel so that I can reboot right into X again.

I.e. the installer should just ignore that an nvidia kernelmodule is already loaded and assume i know about the sideeffects of libGLversion != kerneldriverversion (e.g. 3D-apps won't run until reboot and not anymore at all with the old kernel).

Previously I was able to do that manually but the makefiles for the userland libGL.so.* have gone by now, though I guess it still works with SYSSRC=/usr/src/linuxXYZ/ make etc. for the kernelmodule.

The command I tried so far still still complains about a loaded nvidia module:
# ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg0/nvidia-installer -a -kernel-name=2.6.19.1 --no-x-check

Any chance to make that go away too? --i-know-what-i-m-doing? --bugmenot?

If not I would kindly ask for such an option in a future installer. This should also work with the same kernel, i.e. overwrite the nvidia.ko of the same kernel while it is running (worked fine for me before too). Then I can still manually stop X, depmod -ae and reload the module later.
thomas_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 07:10 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Advanced install mode? Compile under X for different kernel

Please see the --kernel-module-only command line option; alternatively, you should be able to extract the .run package with the --extract-only option, change to the usr/src/nv directory (relative to the newly created directory) and use something like `make SYSSRC=/path/to/kernel-source-tree install`.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 09:06 PM   #3
TPG
Unregistered User

You can always use DKMS way of installation nvidia drivers, only if your distribution provides it.
Old 01-04-07, 09:06 PM   #4
thomas_n

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
Please see the --kernel-module-only command line option;
First, that still complains as follows - also I want to install everything, i.e. the libGL.so.* stuff as well.

ERROR: The '--kernel-module-only' option can only be used to install a kernel module on top of an existing driver installation of the same driver version. The existing driver installation is 1.0-9742, but the kernel module is 1.0-9746.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
alternatively, you should be able to extract the .run package with the --extract-only option, change to the usr/src/nv directory (relative to the newly created directory) and use something like `make SYSSRC=/path/to/kernel-source-tree install`.
Just "cross-installing" the kernelmodule via make worked (as it did before), but the stuff that goes to /usr/lib/* only seems to be accessible through the installer which wants the nvidia module unloaded. That is where I am stuck, imho an --ignore-loaded-nvidia-module switch or so is needed.

@TPG, Debians nvidia-glx stuff depends on an nvidia kernel, so I'd have to create a fake kernel package each time, and by then i usually forgot how to do that with equivs etc. And ofc even debian/sid isn't perfectly up to date so if i want the bleeding edge *ouch* one day ...
Old 01-05-07, 12:13 PM   #5
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

I missed that you also wanted to install the user-space components. This isn't supported to avoid problems such as X crashing when driver components are replaced while they're still in use.
Old 01-05-07, 12:18 PM   #6
pe1chl

The Linux filesystem behaves differently from Windows. In Linux (and any Unix-like system) you can remove a file while it is in use, and create a new file under the same name.
The existing user of the file will see the old contents, and the contents will be removed when the last user closes the file.

This generally works very well. It makes the "list of files to replace at next reboot" that is so well known in Windows unnecessary in Linux.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 12:49 PM   #7
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@pe1chl: the current `nvidia-installer` behavior is based, at least in part, on experience gained over time, e.g. there have been problems with the replacement of X driver components while they are still in use; also, even though file system unlink() heuristics may suggest that `nvidia-installer` is being overly cautious, they are unrelated to problems caused by mismatched driver components, etc..
Old 01-06-07, 02:49 PM   #8
thomas_n

Aw, pretty pleeeease? Some undocumented self-warning option like --crash-x or similar?

Or an env-var based system a la SKIP_SANITY_TESTS=true ./nvidia-installer?

Or testing for the existance of /usr/lib/tls/.insanity and make sure the timestamp is at least 3 days into the future?