Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-07-07, 11:50 AM   #25
LubosD

Send a message via ICQ to LubosD
Default Re: Vista trouble for NVidia LinuxDrivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
LubosD: there is a difference between "common sense" and what is written in law these days.
Indeed. I don't know how the law works in the U.S., but I am convinced that no judge would send a customer to jail because of playing DVDs, no matter how badly the copyright law is written - at least in my country.
LubosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 02:19 PM   #26
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
Please tell that to my laptop then
A laptop is different. The "video card" in a laptop is integrated, and so is the sound.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 03:15 PM   #27
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
A laptop is different. The "video card" in a laptop is integrated, and so is the sound.
My guess is that the audio stream, eg. ac3, is transported raw through the HDMI. Why would it ever need to process an already digital stream before moving it towards a digitial connection.

Btw. I would bet that this card will never have problems sending non-DRM'ed streams :
http://www.decklink.com/products/intensity/

If it did, it would pretty much be useless. That too supports audio output aswell. And I would also bet that it can work like a secondary monitor, like most of the previous card does.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 03:25 PM   #28
xanas3712

We will all pay more for video cards so that nvidia and ati can implement this protection on all of their cards. Why all of their cards? Because Dell will still want to have low end cards for their low end desktops and still be able to claim it is HDCP compatible, and play HD content.

It's funny that HDCP compatibility is being pushed at consumers as some kind of positive when it simply means that everyone, regardless of whether we can make use of it (like linux users), will end up paying more to make sure that we can do less.

We are all paying more money for each and every single card in existence to ensure that a few people don't copy a video and put on the net. And if they do crack the technology (and they probably will) then we all paid for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and the content industry just forced everyone to pay more for every single device.

Not only that, but as has been said before even if the card has HDCP it's mandated that it use closed drivers or that it be so obfuscated and complex that any normal person can't figure it out. Also, these "recommendations" from Microsoft are put along with the ability to revoke drivers and make Nvidia and ATI hardware useless on windows machines, so if they don't follow the recommendations they get screwed by their users.

So basically you can forget open drivers, and you can expect a whole lot of bugs in new drivers because of the fact they have to implement them in such a way as to make them difficult to figure out. And I sit here wondering if I already made the mistake myself by getting an 8800 GTS, because I have more driver issues on this card than on my previous 7800 GT, and more crashes, etc. So I paid more for a protection system that makes my card buggier. I was a moron. But sadly, soon enough I don't think anyone will have a choice. We'll all be paying for windows vista whether we actually bought vista or not.

Thank you microsoft. Thank you hapless hardware losers who follow blindly whatever microsoft dictates. And thank you content industry who is going to get your stuff copied no matter what you do anyway.
xanas3712 is offline   Reply With Quote