Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-07, 09:10 AM   #1
Ben_Noz91

Question any XvMC improvements planned?

Do someone have some idea if XvMC improvements are planned ?
Current implementation looks like minimalist.

I personally noticed the following problems, with latest driver (1.0-9746) :

- problems with DVD menus, text not visible, ... (I used Shrek 2 DVD with xine -V xvmc option)
- strong moiré display also with Shrek 2 DVD (french edition), for example on the coat of Shrek. xine -V xv works without any moiré.
- B&W menus in mythtv
- no h264 hardware decoding capability (I don't ask WM9!)

So we need to use "only" xvideo method, which consumes a lot of CPU for HD sources using h264.

If I am correct, XvMC is the Linux hardware acceleration "protocol", and PureVideo equivalent features are possible with it?

So has someone information on this topic??

<by the way my config is Asus A8N-VM CSM holding GeForce 6150 / nForce 430, Athlon XP 64 3500+, 1Gb Ram connected to flat 1366x768 sharp 32" TV using VGA cable, in 1368x768 display mode
I am running Ubuntu 6.10, with custom compilation of xine, mplayer and mythtv...
>

Last edited by Ben_Noz91; 01-04-07 at 10:47 AM.
Ben_Noz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 03:54 PM   #2
PenGun

Default Re: any XvMC improvements planned?

Xvmc does only mpeg2 in hardware.

Use xxmc for xine. With Mplayer use:

-vo xvmc:bobdint:queue -vc ffmpeg12mc

bobdeint is an deinterlacer and queue queues frames to allow more parallism from the GPU.
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 06:53 PM   #3
mooninite

XvMC is not limited to MPEG-2. VIA has a working MPEG-4 acceleration implementation in their driver IIRC.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 06:43 AM   #4
Gregoire.Favre

I would also really enjoy a better XvMC from nvidia, I don't need any 3d extra power tools, but right know under linux there is only VIA which has good 2d support. It would be very great if the nvidia driver could at least do the same as via ones

Let's hope !!!
Gregoire.Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 07:45 AM   #5
Ben_Noz91

PenGun: I didn't saw there was a xxmc mode for xine. I am sorry. I will test it again with this. Thanks also for the mplayer "magic" options.

However, as Gregoire.Favre said, many things lacks.

I think that the driver should be available as RPMs, .deb etc. for all current popular Linux distributions. I think the driver is too hard to install for newbies. But this is another subject. sorry.
Ben_Noz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 09:49 PM   #6
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite
XvMC is not limited to MPEG-2. VIA has a working MPEG-4 acceleration implementation in their driver IIRC.
XvMC architecture supports: Mpeg-1,Mpeg-2,h263,mpeg-4 acceleration.
Nvidia driver is limited to support Mpeg-2 acceleration only.
Via is the only chip so far with working Mpeg-4 acceleration for Linux (there is also support for Mpeg-1 and Mpeg-2).
Intel i810 can accelerate Mpeg-1 nad Mpeg-2.

To have xxmc support in xine you have to install xxmc wrapper first (name: XvMC Wrapper) from http://sourceforge.net/projects/unichrome/

After installing 'XvMC Wrapper' library install xine. xxmc will appear in Video output section.

I can not understand why Nvidia keeps loosing with Via at Linux 2D/Video support. Nvidia makes good quality chips but looks there is not enough workforce to make driver which will make full use of hardware. Hardware without driver support is just a piece of useless rust. I'm not 3D fan and 90% of my computer use is 2D/Video.

That is why it would be nice if Nvidia could add:
* accelerated console text framebuffer in nvidia module, (the open nvidiafb is not compatible with nvidia module)
* complete XvMC acceleration (Mpeg-1,Mpeg-2,h263,mpeg-4),
* IQ Mpeg decoding using semiofficial VLD extension of XvMC (IQ acceleration is supported in purevideo decoder for windows),
* good quality deinterlacing as in Windows,
* support for Xv formats already present in windows driver: NV12, IF09, IV31,IV32,
* more developed Xlib/XRender acceleration, Via integrated Unichrome's 2D looks faster than Nvidia top level chips

Ooops I think I'll start new topic with Nvidia wish list...
However Christmas is far away but we could make a list so maybe green Santa Clause from Nvidia Linux driver dept. will bring us new features in December 2007.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 11:25 PM   #7
treblid

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy
XvMC architecture supports: Mpeg-1,Mpeg-2,h263,mpeg-4 acceleration.
Nvidia driver is limited to support Mpeg-2 acceleration only.
Via is the only chip so far with working Mpeg-4 acceleration for Linux (there is also support for Mpeg-1 and Mpeg-2).
Intel i810 can accelerate Mpeg-1 nad Mpeg-2.
This is a sticky here looking for a "Linux Graphics Software Engineer" ?? Perhaps the devs just aren't free (*ahem* smart) enuff to actually write a proper driver.. without good quality linux drivers, maybe Nvidia should consider charging less for linux users.. I don't want to pay money and get a video card without proper support...
treblid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 02:31 AM   #8
PenGun

I'm aware of the VIA effort, this is the NvIdia forum though.

I am not sure why we need mpeg1 acceleration but I would like to see AVC decoded in hardware and I echo the plea for more advanced deinterlacing. I'd forgotten about the Unichrome wrapper. So many all night hacks with various brain enhancers ....
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-07, 06:59 AM   #9
aVirulence

I'm pretty interested in h264 hardware acceleration too.
aVirulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 07:28 AM   #10
pe1chl

There already have been many threads about what XvMC should be able do, what it currently can do in the nvidia drivers, and how nice it would be when we had a good deinterlacer and other functions from the Windows driver.

However, there is no specification on what is planned and the nvidia people never post in threads like this, so it remains an unknown even after lots of discussion.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 10:40 AM   #11
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenGun
I am not sure why we need mpeg1 acceleration
1. Nvidia can't be worse than cheap Via integrated unichrome
2. If I use any heavy computation tasks like compilation of big application I could watch VideoCD movies to not get bored when waiting. Offloading mpeg1 decoding to GPU will give me playback without stuttering and freezing.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 11:08 AM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

There are currently no short-term plans to augment XVMC functionality in the driver.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote