Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-07, 01:27 PM   #1
xyzzyx

Default 1080i on Hitachi Alis PDP (42PD5000)

Hi,

I am trying to get 1080i (or 720p for that matter) to work on my Hitachi plasma screen.

Using Windows MCE/XP this is relatively easy. Just enable HDTV TV output modes on the DVI port, accept the hundred pages long warning that nvidia take no risks if you fry you screen due to unstandard resolutions and you get 720p or 1080i.

One problem is that the support for these modes are not announced through EDID.
(--) NVIDIA(0): Established Timings:
(--) NVIDIA(0): 640 x 480 @ 60 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): 640 x 480 @ 72 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): 640 x 480 @ 75 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): 800 x 600 @ 56 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): 800 x 600 @ 60 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): 800 x 600 @ 72 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): 800 x 600 @ 75 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): 1024 x 768 @ 70 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0):
(--) NVIDIA(0): Standard Timings:
(--) NVIDIA(0): 640 x 480 @ 85 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): 800 x 600 @ 85 Hz

However, if you check:
http://www.hitachiserviceeu.com/supp...userguides.htm on page 41, you will find these modes listed as supported.

I have tried a bunch of modlines for 1080i support I have found on the net as well as modeline calculators. No luck so far. The PDP just displays Invalid Scan Frequency.

Also, the nvidia drivers seems to ignore any modeline I insert for 1080i unless I enable
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
adding various ModeValidation or UseEdid settings does not help. The errors just changes.

I started testing mythtv because the disk for my MCE died a couple of days ago and I figure I could have a look at mythtv again as I like the way mythtv seems to be heading better than vistas MCE support. Otherwise I could simply boot windows again and have a look at what scan frequencies the windows nvidia driver used.

It would be nice if similar settings used for the windows driver could be enabled for the linux driver with the pre-programmed TV standards that could be forced out on the DVI. They seem to be available for TV-OUT (Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i"), so why not DVI as well?

I have attached my xlog in case someone has good ideas on how to make this work.

It has a lot of strange stuff in it right now as I have been testing a lot (I have just downgrade from the latest nvidia driver to an older version to see if it made any difference so this log file is from 8774 and not the last driver), so yes there are strange settings there but I am including it mainly for the EDID output.

I also tried to make a custom edid file, but the driver complains that any edid file I give it is invalid. Even if I just use the output from nvidia-xconfig --extract-edids-from-file=/var/log/Xorg.0.log so I gave up that idea pretty quickly.
Attached Files
File Type: gz Xorg.0.log.gz (13.1 KB, 142 views)
xyzzyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 02:17 AM   #2
gava

Default Re: 1080i on Hitachi Alis PDP (42PD5000)

Did you get this working? Im having the same issue......
gava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 05:44 AM   #3
xyzzyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gava
Did you get this working? Im having the same issue......
Not really. I did get 720p to work but had to revert to the 8774 driver for this.

I seem to have already forgotten the exact cause, but basically I kept bashing my head into the wall between EDID information not reflecting that the screen could in fact handle 720p and 1080i and not just max 1024x768 and ExactModeTimingDVI not seeming to output the same timings as 8774 did.

Basically no matter what ModeValidation overrides I specified the darned 9xxx drivers seems to delete my modelines because the screen says it has a max resolution of 1024x768 (not because of the timings, but the resolution). If I ignored the resolution from Edid, the 9xxx drivers fell back to saying that my screen was max 640x480 and ignored all the 720p and 1080i mode lines.

This did not happen i the 8774 driver.

Regard,
Old 02-21-07, 04:36 AM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

By "I ignored the resolution from Edid," do you mean the "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck" ModeValidation option? If so, what error do you get for the modes you want when that override (and just that override) is enabled? From your log, it looks like you specified NoDFPNativeResolution instead of NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck by accident:

Code:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unrecognized ModeValidation token "NoWidthAlignmentCheck";
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     ignoring.
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unrecognized ModeValidation token "NoDFPNativeResolution";
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unrecognized ModeValidation token "NoVirtualSizeCheck";
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 05:27 AM   #5
xyzzyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
By "I ignored the resolution from Edid," do you mean the "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck" ModeValidation option? If so, what error do you get for the modes you want when that override (and just that override) is enabled? From your log, it looks like you specified NoDFPNativeResolution instead of NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck by accident:

Code:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unrecognized ModeValidation token "NoWidthAlignmentCheck";
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unrecognized ModeValidation token "NoDFPNativeResolution";
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unrecognized ModeValidation token "NoVirtualSizeCheck";
You are correct. I had that wrong initially.
I was testing again now and my mode line stays valid, but the mode line that worked on 8774 does not work with 9746 anymore. The TV displays "something" so it is not entirely out of sync, but rather than displaying the standard X gray grid background, I get a picture where the top of the screen is slightly messed up and the rest of the screen is vertical white lines rather than the grid.

The 1280x720 modeline is the one that give me what I need to avoid to much overscan issues etc. on 8774, but again, the same line does not work with any later driver release so something is different on the frequencies output when using ExactModeTimingsDVI.

Yes, my current xorg file is slighly messed up, but I have tested a lot of stuff here and when it finally worked, I just left it. Was planning to clean it up when I got 1080i to work when/if I get time to try again.

Thanks for looking into this. I will be happy to test or report anything you need to get this fixed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip files-20070221.zip (10.6 KB, 178 views)