Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-06-07, 11:01 AM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: I think it's a bug - screen shaking

I don't understand which "vertical refresh rates" you're not finding. Are you now getting 1920x1200?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 11:04 PM   #14
v1rtu0s1ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I don't understand which "vertical refresh rates" you're not finding. Are you now getting 1920x1200?
With EDID line removed, I was still able to get a 1920x1080 resolution. What I'm thinking that could be the reason for the screen shaking is that, the nvidia card is not sending proper vertical refresh rate.

Like what I said earlier in my post, when I was using 1.0-8178 version, I do see the horizontal and vertical refresh rate in Xorg.0.log.

Below is what I see in my old Xorg.0.log when I was still using 1.0-8178.

(**) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes for display device CRT-0:
(**) NVIDIA(0): Mode "1920x1080_i": 74.5 MHz, 33.8 kHz, 59.9 Hz (I)

If you notice in the second line, horizonal refresh rate is 33.8 kHz and the vertical refresh rate is 59.9 Hz. I don't see those lines anymore in Xorg.0.log in the newest driver, either with EDID set to TRUE or FALSE. Like what I said, my guess is that this could be the reason of why the screen is shaking 3 pixel up and down.

No shaking on 1.0-8178. I still have the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run if you want me to downgrade it again so I can post the Xorg.0.log that it will generate.

Thanks for looking into this.
v1rtu0s1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-07, 10:58 AM   #15
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

In your bug report I see:
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0

The driver is using the vertical & horz refresh values you specified in xorg.conf. The driver also would have to be using values which allowed your mode to validate. I don't believe that this problem has anything to do with the vertical refresh rate in use.

I'm not sure that I understand why you're using the ConnectedMonitor option though.

I'd also like to see a verbose bug report against the last driver which didn't have the problem you're reporting.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 01-10-07, 02:00 AM   #16
v1rtu0s1ty

I was doing some testing on nvidia-settings in the command. Look at the results of this command

[mythtv@localhost root]$ nvidia-settings -q RefreshRate

Attribute 'RefreshRate' (localhost:0.0; display device: CRT-0): 29.97 Hz.
'RefreshRate' is an integer attribute.
'RefreshRate' is a read-only attribute.
'RefreshRate' is display device specific.
'RefreshRate' can use the following target types: X Screen, GPU.

Looks like the flickering of my screen is due to the 29.97 Hz only as reported above. If you recall in my earlier post, using the old nvidia version, my vert refresh was at 59 Hz.

Quote:
In your bug report I see:
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0

The driver is using the vertical & horz refresh values you specified in xorg.conf. The driver also would have to be using values which allowed your mode to validate. I don't believe that this problem has anything to do with the vertical refresh rate in use.

I'm not sure that I understand why you're using the ConnectedMonitor option though.

I'd also like to see a verbose bug report against the last driver which didn't have the problem you're reporting.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 01-10-07, 06:33 PM   #17
v1rtu0s1ty

hi netlama,

I would just like to follow up on what you can say about the last output I posted.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-07, 06:43 PM   #18
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

From my last post:

Old 01-10-07, 07:34 PM   #19
v1rtu0s1ty

Quote:
From my last post:

Ok. I will downgrade tonight and grab a verbose 6 log. The reason why I was using ConnectedMonitor is to tell xorg that my HDTV is a CRT. My HDTV is not an LCD, DLP nor a plasma. It's an RPTV CRT set with 3 gun tubes.

I don't know too if I'm actually using that attribute properly.
Old 01-10-07, 09:16 PM   #20
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

That's not what the ConnectedMonitor option is inteded for. The driver defaults to using a CRT, so unless no display devices are being detected (in which case the driver would still assume a CRT), you shouldn't need that option. Perhaps you want the UseDisplayDevice option if you have multiple devices and only wish to use one (although the driver would still default to the CRT)?

I'd suggest removing ConnectedMonitor altogether.

Old 01-10-07, 10:12 PM   #21
v1rtu0s1ty

I have downgraded to 1.0-8178 version. The screen flickering/shaking is gone. I attached the bug report. You will notice that the vertical refresh rate is set to 59 Hz as compared to my latest nvidia version which was only 29 Hz.

Quote:
That's not what the ConnectedMonitor option is inteded for. The driver defaults to using a CRT, so unless no display devices are being detected (in which case the driver would still assume a CRT), you shouldn't need that option. Perhaps you want the UseDisplayDevice option if you have multiple devices and only wish to use one (although the driver would still default to the CRT)?

I'd suggest removing ConnectedMonitor altogether.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report-1_0-8178.zip (23.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 01-11-07, 12:08 AM   #22
whig
550Ti

I would delete these X conf lines and let nvidia decide refresh rates.

Code:
  HorizSync             30-50
  VertRefresh           60
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 11:48 AM   #23
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

There are quite a few drivers between 1.0-8178 and 1.0-9746. What was the latest released driver where this problem was not present?

And again, why are you using the ConnectedMonitor option? Unless you can demonstrate that using it prevents a problem, please remove it from your X configuration.

Thanks,
Lonni