Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-07, 08:54 PM   #1
ruziel

Default Vanguard NDA lifted

Subject says it all.

Hey all, as of about 2 minutes ago, Beta 5 has started. Its not "completely" open per se quite yet though, we're going to be staggering the new testers coming in today, and then opening it up. We'll be sending out a press notice in a few minutes here too, and I will post that here when its out.

Anyway, what that means, is that the NDA is as of right now, lifted.

Have fun, all.

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorp...-beta-5-a.html
ruziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 10:24 PM   #2
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Re: Vanguard NDA lifted

good!

VANGUARD IS THE BIGGEST PEICE OF CRAP EVER!

Thats the short and sweet of it. No, that wasnt a joke. It really is a terrible game. It was promised to be "the next everquest" and it ended up being the next "Sims Online". It runs like trash, looks like trash, and has gameplay worse than the entire Gothic serious. Its bad. Very bad. Probably one of if not THE BIGGEST letdown of any MMORPG to date. Words can't express how absolutely terrible Vanguard is.

P.S. As a reference before someone starts shouting anything about "WoW". I dont play WoW. I don't particularly like it either. It seems like a fun and good game, I just didn't like it. Notice, while I do not like WoW, I will give it respect and say it is a good game. Vanguard just isn't a good game. I've probably played more MMORPG's than 99% of this entire forum. So yes, I can say with confidence that Vanguard isn't very good.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 10:27 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
good!

VANGUARD IS THE BIGGEST PEICE OF CRAP EVER! DO NOT BUY IT!

Thats the short and sweet of it. No, that wasnt a joke. It really is a terrible game. It was promised to be "the next everquest" and it ended up being the next "Sims Online". It runs like trash, looks like trash, and has gameplay worse than the entire Gothic serious. Its bad. Very bad. Probably one of if not THE BIGGEST letdown of any MMORPG to date. Words can't express how absolutely terrible Vanguard is.
I agree... Such a disappointment. I had such high hopes for it and it turned out to be such trash.

So many good ideas in the game but none of them are implemented properly.

EDIT: To Add...

I think the worse thing about the entire beta was that Sigil didn't give a rats ass about the horrible performance of the game. Im talking low 20's here even on medium settings... They kept saying its due to the size of the world and no loading... bull**** bull**** bull****. It's due to crappy as developer... they turned a fine tuned engine like the unreal 2 engine and made it run like it was some POS Budget title.
Old 01-04-07, 10:33 PM   #4
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

The game runs like crap. It runs fine on my 8800 GTX, but thats minimum requirement for this bloody game. It ran terrible on both my 7900GTX and 7950GX2. But lets not talk about graphics because EVERYONE knows(except for sigil) that graphics aren't important for a good MMORPG. Gameplay is. Thats is where Vanguard fails even more. Vanguard consisted of WAY too many ideas for one game. They tried to accomplish way too many things that simply conflicted with one another. There is absolutely no since of direction. This is an idea of what goes on at Sigil:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your average day at Sigil games

Random guy 1: "Hey Brad, I think this game should be dedicated towards REAL PC gamers. Lets give it extreme requirements! If the kids can't afford a PC to run the game, they won't play it! More fun for us old folks!"

Brad McQuaid: "sure thing, great idea!"

Random guy 2: "Hey Brad, in this game its too hard to find quest NPCs. Lets give EVERY quest NPC a BIG stupid Logo on top of its head. Considering we will have kids playing the game(who can't read), a BIG anoying logo would be an excellent choice! Lets make it easy for them!"

Brad: "I thought you guys didn't want kids on this game? Either way, SURE that idea is great! More kids on our game!"

Random guy 3: "Hey Brad, we need a million useless skills for each class! That way, we can weed out all the kids who want to have fun on the game! We will require then to change out skills EVERY FREAKING LEVEL! Less fun = less kids playing!"

Brad: "Right... ... yes... Less kids on our game. Make it so!"

Random guy 4: "Hey Brad! This zombie is WAY to ****ing hard! Kids will be playing this game, we need it to be easy!!! One hit should kill it!"

Brad: "Excellent idea! I love how you think. We need this game to have kids so that we will be popular!"

Random guy 5: "Hey brad! This peon rat is WAY too easy! This game is for ADULTS in case you haven't noticed! This rat should have an AREA EFFECT super death spell that KILLS anything within a 50 yard radius every time it wiggles its whiskers!"

Brad: "Yes, the adults will love the fact we have THE MOST POWERFUL RAT EVER IN AN MMORPG! It will show that our game TRUELY is meant for us old people
!"
Random guy 6: "Hey Brad! I think bards are overpowered in ALL games due to their speed. Even though the entire point of a bard is to be the fastest thing on foot, lets throw these bards a curve ball! Lets make their bard speed VERY slow, barely faster than run and MUCH slower than a horse! Kids LOVE ridding horses! If bards don't want to ride horses, less kids will play! We can't have that happen!"

Brad: "I see your point. We do need more people to use horses. If bards are fast they probably won't play horses. We only have 30 classes in Vanguard. If bards don't use horses, that means 3-4% of the population won't use a horse! That number is far too great!!!! EVERYONE needs a horse! The kids will LOVE seeing EVERY FREAKING PERSON THEY SEE riding a horse!!! Great Idea! Do it!"
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 01:57 PM   #5
nrdstrm

Sorry to rain on your parade guys, but I'm enjoying myself. I've been in since beta 2 (same as Magus I think), and the game has come a long way. Sure some things aren't in that they wanted. Name me an MMO that launches with all the things that were talked about! Anyway, I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I currently like it better than any other MMO on the market. That doesn't mean I'm not still looking at other games, and to be honest, if it was my "ideal" game I wouldn't be looking at other MMO's. But I will be playing this at (the way to early) launch.

Perhaps your hopes were TOO sky high. I didn't go into beta with any preconcieved expectations, so I suppose that could be why I'm enjoying it more than you guys. BTW, I've seen plenty of POSITIVE reviews from beta testers too, so it's not JUST me...

**EDIT**
@ Magus - As far as performance goes, if your getting in the 20's, 1 of 2 things is going on.
1) Something is TERRIBLY wrong with your system or
2) Your omitting alot of factors.

The only time I drop into the 20's is in towns/cities. I'm getting 50-80FPS in ANY wild area. Khal is the worst by far, where I sometimes even drop to the teens. And yeah, the game is indeed a big resource hog and many players will be turned off by playing on "low" where the graphics look like EQ...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 02:04 PM   #6
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

It's gotta be better than the Matrix Online.
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 04:04 PM   #7
UDawg
Retired spammer

YOu guys just CRUSHED me. I had hoped this game would be at the last, good. I'll pop on the beta this evening and check it out but I will do so with a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat.

signed
Dissapointed...
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 05:43 PM   #8
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm

**EDIT**
@ Magus - As far as performance goes, if your getting in the 20's, 1 of 2 things is going on.
1) Something is TERRIBLY wrong with your system or
2) Your omitting alot of factors.

The only time I drop into the 20's is in towns/cities. I'm getting 50-80FPS in ANY wild area. Khal is the worst by far, where I sometimes even drop to the teens. And yeah, the game is indeed a big resource hog and many players will be turned off by playing on "low" where the graphics look like EQ...
Could it be SLi? You have Core 2 also don't you? Game likes faster CPUs more then GPUs... I can turn the settings max and get the same performance as it being at low settings.

Old 01-05-07, 06:59 PM   #9
Redshirt #24

Okay, I just want confirmation on something I heard elsewhere from other folks: how massive is the beta client installation?
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Apple 30" Cinema Display
CM HAF X

Ever notice how the more people talk about something, the more you tend to hate it?
Redshirt #24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 07:16 PM   #10
|MaguS|

Mine was over 25GBs. Say was because as of last week, I deleted it from my HD... not worth the space honestly...
Old 01-05-07, 07:22 PM   #11
ruziel

Suffered through playing this game since beta2 because I thought, 'hey maybe if I just stick with it, keep submitting bugs and fresh ideas maybe the game will turn out ok.' WRONG! It's really a shame

It just feels like an amateur MMO that was thrown together at the last minute. Maybe a few months after release the game will be alright.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm

Perhaps your hopes were TOO sky high. I didn't go into beta with any preconcieved expectations, so I suppose that could be why I'm enjoying it more than you guys. BTW, I've seen plenty of POSITIVE reviews from beta testers too, so it's not JUST me...
That is a very good point. When I first started playing I was expecting the best MMO ever created, something along the lines of UO or EQ1 that would keep me playing for many years to come. And there are definitly some cool parts of the game, the sheer size of the world for one. They still have a few patches left in them before release, so who knows. And I'll probably still buy the game, just like how I bought all those other fantasy MMOs lol.
ruziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 07:23 PM   #12
Redshirt #24

Considering that even Medieval: Total War II, a finished product, is barely half that size...sheeeeeeeit.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Apple 30" Cinema Display
CM HAF X

Ever notice how the more people talk about something, the more you tend to hate it?
Redshirt #24 is offline   Reply With Quote