Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-08-07, 02:24 AM   #25
Sgt_Pitt

Default Re: Vanguard NDA lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
sorry to rain on YOUR parade, but you have an 8800GTX. Like I said, thats minimum requirement for the game. The game runs fine on my 8800GTX. However, I had a freaking 7950GX2 on that game and it ran like crap. 20's and MAYBE 30's. A game that requires an 8800GTX to play is not a good game in my opinion. Thats just ONE issue with the game. There are LOADS more problems than just graphics issues.

Just as some reference. Magus and I probably know more about MMORPG's than just about anyone on this forum(if not EVERYONE, its very close). The game simply is not good. It has nothing to do with if "I like it or not". Its not a good game. It will fail miserably and Sigil will be a company no longer. I guess thats what you get for trying to please both EQ fans and WoW fans. Two completely different style games that should STAY two completely different style games. If they would have chose either route they would have suceeded just by the name "Brad McQuaid". Sadly they wanted to maximize their profits, got greedy, and tried to please EVERYONE. Perfect recipe for failure.

The game is or could be 1 patch away from running like silk. Since were not developers we dont know

but i can tell you as of the last 2 days the performance has improved again, and they recognise the problem.

Sounds to me like your just interested in the frame rates, and since you couldnt get decent fps during the beta, you wrote it off. its not so much about the FPS, for most people its the HD thrashing thats giving people the problems.

Well the thing with MMO;s is once the game is released its not the end of the fixes.
Old 01-08-07, 07:49 AM   #26
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Pitt
The game is or could be 1 patch away from running like silk. Since were not developers we dont know

but i can tell you as of the last 2 days the performance has improved again, and they recognise the problem.

Sounds to me like your just interested in the frame rates, and since you couldnt get decent fps during the beta, you wrote it off. its not so much about the FPS, for most people its the HD thrashing thats giving people the problems.

Well the thing with MMO;s is once the game is released its not the end of the fixes.
<looks at own sig> . Yea, looks like I have an 8800GTX. Definitely runs Vanguard as good as I need to. That shoots your theory out of the water. The game is not a patch away from running like silk on ANY PC without an 8800 series card. It is far from complete. It seems like every single day a random person on the beta would say "wow, it looks like I have performance increases!", when in reality it was nothing at all. Even the GM's all said nothing performance wise has changed. Vanguard gives people a false sense of hope that they are actually fixing things, when nothing really is being fixed at all. From beta 2 until right now, I'd say my frames per second have increased maybe 2fps(assuming I still owned a 7900GTX). Thats about it. If you think Vanguard is going to have some type of "miracle patch" that will fix everything, you are sadly mistaken. That shoots another theory out of the water.

Vanguard is just simply a bad game. The graphics could run as seemlessly as Guildwars or Warrock and it would still be a bad game. The quest system is bad. The classes are very unbalanced(in a bad way). The mobs you fight are VERY VERY unbalanced and VERY randomly placed. The art direction in the game is absolutely horrid. All of the zones in the game look pretty much the same. On top of all of that, it just isn't fun. The game feels like a job to play. Even Everquest didn't feel this bad and Everquest was GRIND CITY. I'd take EQ grinding over this Vanguard crap any day. Take ALL the boring/dull/irritating ideas from ALL MMORPG's of all time, add peices of dog crap, put them in a blender, and Vanguard will be your outcome.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 08:32 AM   #27
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Mine was over 25GBs. Say was because as of last week, I deleted it from my HD... not worth the space honestly...
You have to be joking. How the hell can the install be THAT big?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 10:44 AM   #28
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

My full install as it stands now for beta 5 is 16.8GB.

So far I have been enjoying myself in the beta and trying to feedback as much as I can.

I'll admit the first night I played I was underwhelmed..I think it was because I had DAOC flashbacks and I disliked DAOC.

Once I started getting a feel for the game and got past the horridly clunky interface I started having fun. I pray they update the interface art.

The machine I'm playing it on is the wifes machine not mine so it's not THE optimal setup. Her specs 3500+, 1GB ddr400 and 6800U.

The game gets flat out chunky on this rig even on balanced or high performance. The odd thing is that it doesn't always seems like it's her PC causing it. I can be sitting there staring at a wall with noone around and the framerate will go from 40 down to 1 then up to 9 and just stays there.

I'm planning to get the game for both of us at launch (later this month..too soon!) and will hope for the best.

Brad said they have a huge Live team that will be pulling down serious overtime after launch and that the expansion team will be assisting the Live team for the first few months to get things nailed down.

I can live with that for now.

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3

Last edited by Xav; 01-08-07 at 10:55 AM.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 12:11 PM   #29
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
You have to be joking. How the hell can the install be THAT big?
It's true, it was 16gigs for me.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 12:18 PM   #30
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Pitt

We are only interested in frame rates when it is a SLIDE SHOW! This game is due out at the end of January and as far as I can tell if they are one patch away from making this run like silk it better be a magical patch cuz I don't see it. You are not talking to gamers who have done many BETAs, built many computers and work in IT. We know our stuff and we now know this game blows. I am VERY easy to please with games. I like lesser games that most of y'all won't play and I am telling you I didn't like Vanguard and I really wanted to like it.

You see the thing with MMOOs is THEY SHOULD WORK TWO WEEKS BEFORE ITS RELEASE! IMO, this game needs to be pushed back 3 months even if they get the system optimized. It still has many bugs.

BTW the whole interface was a rip off from WoW. Basically it was the WoW interface with a Vanguard theme.
Old 01-08-07, 12:40 PM   #31
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
You see the thing with MMOOs is THEY SHOULD WORK TWO WEEKS BEFORE ITS RELEASE! IMO, this game needs to be pushed back 3 years even if they get the system optimized. It still has many bugs, it makes baby jesus cry.

BTW the whole interface was a rip off from WoW. Basically it was the WoW interface with all the ****ty parts of WoW/DAOC/EQ for the theme.
Fixed the incorrections

I'm sorry Brad is going to lose alot of money on this game. I really am. Brad seems like such a good guy. You win some(EQ), you lose some(Vanguard). If only Brad would have stuck with his "vision" the game would be decent. The reason for the game's failure is there are far too many ideas in it. Its blatantly obvious there was no person organizing what was going down in this game. Everyone seems to have been doing their own thing.
Old 01-08-07, 02:53 PM   #32
ruziel

What the UI used to look like in beta2. I liked this one a lot *shrug*.

Picture of a few of our grind crew. I was Adus. Who were your guys characters?

http://ladroliscio.com/gallery/v/van...00261.jpg.html

Ladro kept a HUGE beta photo album. Fun to browse through it and see how the game progressed.
ruziel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-07, 03:05 PM   #33
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruziel
What the UI used to look like in beta2. I liked this one a lot *shrug*.

Picture of a few of our grind crew. I was Adus. Who were your guys characters?

http://ladroliscio.com/gallery/v/van...00261.jpg.html

Ladro kept a HUGE beta photo album. Fun to browse through it and see how the game progressed.
That is another thing that pissed me off about this game. It was way to dark all the time. Part of me still really wants to like this game.
Old 01-08-07, 03:47 PM   #34
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
That is another thing that pissed me off about this game. It was way to dark all the time. Part of me still really wants to like this game.
Just looks like another EQ2 to me *yawn city*

I played from beta 2 to beta 4. I played it for a long time and even had a pretty reputable guild on it. This game by far had the worst turnover rate of any other MMORPG I have ever played. They were practically begging for beta testers. Most people made it to like say lvl 13-16(which takes about as long as it is to hit lvl 35ish on WoW) and then quit.
Old 01-08-07, 10:57 PM   #35
Sgt_Pitt

Regarding the interface, why fix or change a recipie for most MMO's that isnt broken ?

I expect interfaces to generally be the same for all mmo's, ui's should be clear and concise anyway, and the wow eq2 type interface is a proven successful recipie.

But on that note ill be the first to admit though that the interface is clunky as all hell and needs some work.
Old 01-08-07, 11:04 PM   #36
Sgt_Pitt

Quote:
We are only interested in frame rates when it is a SLIDE SHOW! This game is due out at the end of January and as far as I can tell if they are one patch away from making this run like silk it better be a magical patch cuz I don't see it. You are not talking to gamers who have done many BETAs, built many computers and work in IT. We know our stuff and we now know this game blows. I am VERY easy to please with games. I like lesser games that most of y'all won't play and I am telling you I didn't like Vanguard and I really wanted to like it.

You see the thing with MMOOs is THEY SHOULD WORK TWO WEEKS BEFORE ITS RELEASE! IMO, this game needs to be pushed back 3 months even if they get the system optimized. It still has many bugs.

BTW the whole interface was a rip off from WoW. Basically it was the WoW interface with a Vanguard theme.

well it only runs like a slideshow on my pc while the HD is getting thrashed, im getting 30-60fps, my problem is HD thrashing, theres a bad error in coding a decent object and texture cache for VG. Introducing LOD's and object fading as well as culling objects not in view needs to be addressed, this is the the reason most people are experiencing stutters.

The exact same thing happened when EQ2 came out, and look how EQ2 runs now

since SOE is helping Sigil atm by sending over a team of coders, i am hoping they will bring usefull knowledge to the sigil team in this area.