Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-07, 01:03 PM   #1
gilgamesch

Question OpenSuse 10.2: XWindows hang with nvidia driver 9746

I tried to install the nvidia drivers for openSUSE 10.2 by using the Yast2 installation as well as the installation with the nvidia installer as described on the Nvidia homepage. Both methods failed, see subsequent decription.
My system is Linux openSUSE 10.2 x86_64 with kernel 2.6.18.2-34-default, KDE 3.5.5 release 45, Xorg 7.2, graphic card Geforce 6200, Monitor Benq FP91GX.

1.Installation with Yast2
I followed the rules of http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-...ler-HOWTO.html
for openSUSE 10.2-AMD64 downloading the rpm packages x11-video-nvidia and nvidia-gfx-kmp-default from the server „download.nvidia.com“, directory /opensuse/10.2.
The download of the files performed well, so apparently did the yast installation .
Yast then obviously started sax2 to set the display size and position. In this case a full screen display with the Nvidia logo appeared followed by a black screen and afterwards the bleue screen of the sax2 display, but only the background without windows for settings. This display as well as the cursor froze , no entry was possible, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and Ctrl-Alt-Del did not show any effect.

2.Installation with nvidia installer

Then I tried the installation with the nvidia installer in command line mode after I reinstalled the Linux system. I followed the instruction of http://ww.nvidia.com/object/linux_di...1.0-9746.html.
I started the system in runlevel 3 and executed the sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9746-pkg2.run command; no errors were reported.

In both cases 1. and 2. I could afterwards start the sytem in runlevel 3. When I executed startx a full screen with the Nvidia log appeared followed by a black sreen, then followed by the login screen of KDE. I was able to work in KDE with standard programs . However when I tried a 3-D game ( as an example ksudoku) in 3-D mode it first worked fine but when I wanted to exit the game the display froze , cursor froze, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and Ctrl-Alt-Del did not work.
The same happened when I started sax2 in KDE. Basically the same effect as with the yast installation happened.

I tried this also with other drivers 9631 and 9629 with the identical result.
In the Xorg.conf file I do not see any wrong setting. In my opinion the driver installation seems to be ok, however the operation of the driver with Xorg seems to have some problem.
I attach the relevant log files to this post. The nvidia-bug-report.log file was generated by nvidia-bug-report.sh executed during the phase when the game in 3D-mode was running.
Can somebody with a profound knowledge give some advice what to check or modify?
Thanks to all in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (24.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: zip nvidia-installer.log.zip (5.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: zip xorg.conf.zip (1.6 KB, 105 views)
File Type: zip Xorg.0.log.zip (4.7 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by gilgamesch; 01-06-07 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Title changed to better fit to problem
gilgamesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 01:08 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Installation of nvidia driver with OpenSuse 10.2 fails

I don't see anything here to suggest that the installation of the driver failed. You might want to fix the thread topic to reflect the actual problem.

You'll need to generate a bug report while the problem is present (X is hung).

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 06:44 AM   #3
gilgamesch

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I don't see anything here to suggest that the installation of the driver failed. You might want to fix the thread topic to reflect the actual problem.

You'll need to generate a bug report while the problem is present (X is hung).

Thanks,
Lonni
I agree that the problem is probably not the installation of the driver. However it appeared with the installation of the driver, therefore I chose this phrase. I will try to find a better wording.

It is difficult for me to start nvidia-bug-report.sh while the problem is present. As soon as I have a solution and a relevant bug report I will come back to this thread.

Thanks for your quick response!

Guenter
gilgamesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-07, 01:28 AM   #4
peter.billiau

Hi guys,

I have exactly the same experience. When booting the system normally, it does not even reach the login screen. When booting it in level 3, I can then start an X server that runs for a while use "startx -- -logverbose 6". Any help would be really welcome ...

I can't generate a bug report at the time of the incident, as at that moment, the system is fully hung ...

Peter
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.1.log.gz (20.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.startx.gz (29.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: gz Xorg.0.log.startx.gz (12.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: gz Xorg.0.log.gz (4.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by peter.billiau; 04-28-07 at 01:29 AM. Reason: forgot two attachments ...
peter.billiau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-07, 05:49 AM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

peter.billiau,
1.0-9631 is no longer supported for your GPU. Please retest with 100.14.03 & 1.0-9755.

Also see:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58498
Old 04-29-07, 12:57 PM   #6
peter.billiau

Dear NetLama,

Thank you very much for your explanation. I guess I will have to take contact with SuSE to tell them that the default distribution they suggest (through the SuSE mechanism of YaST, give the wrong software version).

I have tried your suggestions (both versions separately). None seems to work. I am joining to this reply the logfiles for what happens with version 100 (still the same symptoms). Do you have any other suggestion ?

Best regards.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (31.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-installer.log.gz (5.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: gz Xorg.0.log.gz (10.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 04-29-07, 01:10 PM   #7
peter.billiau

And this reply contains the log files for 1.0.9755 ...
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (33.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-installer.log.gz (6.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: gz Xorg.0.log.gz (10.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 04-29-07, 02:47 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

According to your bug report, X is running 1280x1024. What specifically is not working?

Old 04-29-07, 03:20 PM   #9
peter.billiau

Hi,

what was specifically not working was that, when the server starts, it only stays up for a couple of seconds (definitely not long enough to save the "sax" settings, e.g.), and after that, it hangs the whole machine.

I have continued my digging through the documentation. I have now rebooted with "agp=off" and it seems to be working fine ...

Thank you for your help ...

Peter