Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-05-03, 04:25 PM   #1
Marty

Talking Automated script for RH 8.0 kernel update and nforce mobo

This is for nforce motherboard using onboard video, audio and nic. Red 8.0

It's a pain every time RH updates the kernel. You have a lot of typing to do get things working again. I finally got tired of it and wrote the following script to "semi-automate" the process.

This assumes you already have x working with RH 8.0 and "just" need to update the kernel.

It also assumes you have all kernel headers and dependencies installed. (If not, you wouldn't have been able to get it working in x in the first place).

In case you didn't go to system settings>packages and in the developement section choose Kernel developement package and install the whole thing.

This script also assumes you have downloaded the following 3 files from Nvidia:
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.src.rpm
NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.src.rpm

My user name is marty, I created /home/marty/update

I put the 3 files in update along with the script.

To create the script, just paste the following into the editor of your choice and name the file "update" (or whatever you want). IMPORTANT!! After you save the file, you must change its permissions to allow execute, or it won't run.

Finally, here is the script:

#!/bin/sh
mv /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.i386.rpm NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.i386.rpm.old
rpm -e NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191
rpm -e NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191
rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm
rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.i386.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.src.rpm
rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm
rpm -e NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248
rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.src.rpm
rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.rpm

To use this, you need to edit /etc/inittab
Change id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault:

You can now use the RedHat updater to update your kernel.

On reboot, the system will start in Run Level 3
cd to wherever you put the files (in my system it's /home/marty/update)

Execute the update script you just made by typing "./update"

After the whole mess runs, you will be at a prompt. Type "startx" to get x running again.

edit /etc/inittab again and change 3 back to 5

reboot the machine to let kudzu find the sound and nic. Tell it to migrate over the old settings.

Everything should now work as before.

It's now "easy" to update your kernel when they release a new one. Just change run level 5 to 3, install the new kernel, reboot, run the script, change run level 3 back to 5 and reboot. Done!
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-03, 01:23 AM   #2
brainspank

Default Re: Automated script for RH 8.0 kernel update and nforce mobo

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty
[b]
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.src.rpm
NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.src.rpm
[b]
I don't know about the nforce rpm, as that is not required for my system, but you don't need to reinstall the GLX rpm when you get a new kernel. you should just need to rebuild the kernel rpm whenever a new kernel is installed, as it rebuilds the /lib/modules/???? directory. this is where the kernel rpm installs it's module.

the "initdefault 3" stuff is also unnecessary, as you can install the kernel rpm while the system is running... it will just fail to install the new module - expected since you already have the old module of the same name installed. it will load properly upon next reboot, though.

bs
brainspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-03, 11:20 PM   #3
Marty

Talking

Thanks for the input, your comment would probably work for a "normal" motherboard using only an Nvidia video card. These instructions are for nforce motherboards that have Nvidia chipsets for everything including the ide controler. (You can't use Grub as a boot loader with this chip set, but LILO works fine) The init 3-5 thing is the most reliable way to do this install. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't if done from run level 5. It always works from 3. I have tried just doing the kernal rebuild, it doesn't work in this hardware. The GLX must also be rebuilt and in the order specified, or you won't get X.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote