Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-08-07, 03:53 PM   #25
evilchris

Default Re: Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
I like how their chart just has HD DVD staying stagnant and not growing at all.
Yeah, lol!
Old 01-08-07, 03:57 PM   #26
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

according to that graph, BD should be outselling HD-DVD by 1.5:1 right now

*checks sales numbers*..... not even close

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 03:58 PM   #27
evilchris

The flat line of HD DVD sales is hilarious. Good way to make their BS made up graph credible.
Old 01-08-07, 04:02 PM   #28
superklye

It kind of makes me think of Jack Black's various graphs in Saving Silverman.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 11:12 PM   #29
AthlonXP1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Price isn't what matters...it's the company backing it, trying to force it down our throats that DOES matter.
Yes you are right it the companies backing it. I think soon the majority of consumers follow what the majority of companies backing it, that what happened with VHS.

I checked both HD-DVD and Blu-ray to get the latest updated of supporters.

HD-DVD - 137
Blu-ray - 172

Also the Hollywood movie studios:

HD-DVD - 3
Blu-ray - 6

HD-DVD has 50% backed by Paramount, Universal and Warner Bros and Blu-ray has 100% full backed by all movie studios Paramount, Universal, Warner Bros, Sony Pictures, 20th Century Fox and Walt Disney.

HD-DVD have only 50/50 chance to lose the format to Blu-ray, if Warner Bros did not get great support for Total-HD format then Warner Bros would soon realised they will backing Blu-ray 100% that would leave Hollywood 33% backed HD-DVD.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 11:38 PM   #30
betterdan

You forgot a couple...
New Line (neutral), Lionsgate (Blu ray), Bandai (HD DVD) Weinstein Company (HD DVD) and MGM (Blu ray)
Also Universal is strictly HD DVD right now.

Looks like you failed your homework assignment.
Old 01-09-07, 04:41 AM   #31
AthlonXP1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
You forgot a couple...
New Line (neutral), Lionsgate (Blu ray), Bandai (HD DVD) Weinstein Company (HD DVD) and MGM (Blu ray)
Also Universal is strictly HD DVD right now.

Looks like you failed your homework assignment.
No I hadnt failed. Actually New Line is a division and owned by Warner Bros/Time Warner that supported both format. Liongate of course support Blu-ray but it is not based in Hollywood, Liongate is a Canadian company based in Vancouver. Bandai Visual Co Ltd produce animate films, it is not based in Hollywood too, in fact Bandai is a Japanese company based in Tokyo. Weinstein Company is based outside Hollywood in New York but I am not sure whether Weinstein Company still support HD-DVD, they were a member of HD-DVD Promotion Group but the listing ended 31 Dec 2006, Weinstein Company are no longer a member of HD-DVD. It been confirmed that Weinstein Company will release Blu-ray movies for the first time in the next few months, it remain to be seen whether Weinstein Company are backing Blu-ray 100%. MGM is a division and owned by Sony Pictures. Universal still back Blu-ray but will release movies on Blu-ray on the right time when the issues with Blu-ray sort out so they current release movies on HD-DVD at the moment.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 06:59 AM   #32
betterdan

Ok fair enough about their locations but as far as I know Weinstein is still putting out HD DVDs and Universal is still HD DVD only. Sure things could change in the future but then Lions Gate is rumored to be heading to HD DVD also.
I would like to see a link or something about Weinstein confirmed to be making Blu-ray discs if you don't mind. Weinstein is releasing 'Clerks II,' 'Pulse' and 'Lucky Number Slevin.' on Jan. 16th but no mention of Blu-ray anywhere. http://www.highdefdigest.com/tags/show/Weinstein_Co.

Edit: Ok I see on that same page that Genius Products, the home video distribution partner of The Weinstein Company, early this year plans to unleash their first Blu-ray titles, beginning with releases from ESPN, which is owned by ABC/Disney, a big Blu-ray backer.

Last edited by betterdan; 01-09-07 at 07:09 AM.

Old 01-09-07, 07:25 AM   #33
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
HD-DVD has 50% backed by Paramount, Universal and Warner Bros and Blu-ray has 100% full backed by all movie studios Paramount, Universal, Warner Bros, Sony Pictures, 20th Century Fox and Walt Disney.

HD-DVD have only 50/50 chance to lose the format to Blu-ray, if Warner Bros did not get great support for Total-HD format then Warner Bros would soon realised they will backing Blu-ray 100% that would leave Hollywood 33% backed HD-DVD.
Universal is 100% HD DVD.
Old 01-09-07, 08:56 AM   #34
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
It kind of makes me think of Jack Black's various graphs in Saving Silverman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Silverman
This graph should illustrate our point.
Before Judith, our fun level was at an all-time high: .
It is now an eight.
Band numbers have plunged dramatically.
Girls, never very high, at nine. But look now. Two!
This has led to increased wanking off.
I'm chafing.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 08:58 AM   #35
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
hahahaha! YES! That whole scene is PRICELESS.
Old 01-09-07, 09:11 AM   #36
Rakeesh

If the tripple layer thing pans out for HD-DVD and can work for the first generation players just fine, then other than interactivity features, blu-ray holds no advantage over HD-DVD.

In fact, blu-ray carries some pretty heavy disadvantages since it costs more to produce and in terms of quality control there are far fewer requirements in the way of picture and sound quality.

Again, IF that pans out, then HD-DVD is the clear winner in terms of technical ability.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote