Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-10-03, 05:30 AM   #13
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

yeah, each bleemcast pack was supposed to run like 100 games wasn't it? but in reality it ran like 1 game per pack lol Poor bleem, I stuck with em' for a long time waiting for the updates that never came. Then I got fed up with it and got ePSXe wich let you use plugins and OGL
Old 03-10-03, 05:33 AM   #14
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by [eNv]-LORD-eX-Bu
no way man, I was usin' GF2MX with a glide wrapper and it was runnin' smooooooooooth on my killer P3 700 Mhz
lol, i was talking about when UltraHLE first came out. there was no gf2mx or 700MHz CPU back then!

(at least i don't think 700MHz CPUs were out)
Old 03-10-03, 05:35 AM   #15
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Yeah they were origionally planning for 100 games per pack but half a year before it was released they announced it would only be a 1-game disc thing. I guess they realized that Playstation 3 would be out by the time they could put 100 games emulated at full speed on a disc, so they changed thier ideas. Oh, and the several lawsuits that sony ran against them didn't help matters much...
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 09:05 AM   #16
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I remember using UltraHLE when it first came out on my Voodoo Banshee. Mario 64 played surprisingly well with this on my PII 400.

IIRC, there are only like 2 games where Bleemcast worked. I know one was GT2...can't remember the other. You can still pick up Bleemcast discs on ebay for about $10-12.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 06:39 PM   #17
Serath
Dark Mirth

Send a message via ICQ to Serath Send a message via AIM to Serath Send a message via Yahoo to Serath

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Hmm, so how did Bleemcast on the Dreamcast emulate PSX so well? Since DC was only a 200 mhz processor, the optimizations must've been insane, since you need at LEAST a 700 mhz computer to emulate PSX at full speed. I guess when they made it for only 1 game at a time, the HLE system they used was pretty specific, huh?
It's because of the architecture. Consoles process data differently than the PC. THe data paths are shorter, and more specific. The speed of the CPU doesn't mean much in reality... look at the P4 willy's... higher clock speed, lower performance than the AMD counterpart, all because the P4 had a longer pipe.
Serath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-03, 01:22 AM   #18
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
i don't understand. UltraHLE did only support Glide. or whatever the first N64 emulator was called, if it was not UltraHLE.

i never blamed Glide itself, i blamed UltraHLE for only supporting Voodoo cards. sure you could grab a Glide emulator, but those were slow.
ULtraHLE was the first n64 emu to publicly play commercial games, it was based on glide... however that is not what slowed it down (you only needed ~50mhz to get past that with a non glide card).

For extreemley low spec machines there was Corn, now that thing was FAST.

Bleem, well it was kinda doomed because they had 2 developers and 18 PR people. So the hype was big, but in the end they could only make one game work at a time. (Why they couldnt have put many packs on one disk and have you load each game from boot, like a gameshark, I don't know).
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote