Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-07, 06:39 AM   #1
okun235

Default Psychedelic Colors in X with GeForce 3 - unusable graphics

I am running Ubuntu 6.10 and have a GeForce 3 nvidia card installed. No problems for several months. After a recent (too hasty) click to update, I lost X and was unable to recover from this - "No Screens etc.". I decided to use 'envy' which seemed to install the latest compatible nvidia driver.

Although it is loads ok, the colors are all wrong, including the standard icons, and usually of a garish or psychedelic nature. Any graphics displayed is weird and effectively makes the pc unusable for anything other than text (See dump of desktop - had to reduce in size but you can see the effect). I have looked at the settings in 'nvidia X-server settings' but cannot fix the problem.

The unusual colors can be seen at the login screen, as soon as X loads, and I have tried changing a few xorg.conf settings, but don't really know which ones to alter, but have had no success. Scouring forums, I cannot find anyone else with this problem. Or maybe the 9631 driver just doesn't work here.

nvidia_installer.log and nvidia_bug-report,log attached.

Any ideas anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot2.png
Views:	115
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	23494  
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (25.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (112.3 KB, 89 views)
okun235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 07:26 AM   #2
okun235

Default Re: Psychedelic Colors in X with GeForce 3 - unusable graphics

Additional information:

I thought I would try with a spare CRT monitor I have around, via VGA connector , replacing the Philips Flat-panel monitor used via DVI. All colors are fine using the VGA/CRT connection, with no change in nvidia configuration or anything else.

Then I remembered I had an analogue (D-bus) cable for the Philips flat-panel monitor and used this instead. Everything is still fine. So the problem lies in the DVI connection to the monitor. I guess something needs to be configured correctly here, but have no idea what. Meantime, I will use the analog connection, but would still welcome suggestions.
Old 01-13-07, 07:36 AM   #3
okun235

Default Re: Psychedelic Colors in X with GeForce 3 - unusable graphics

Finally, in case anyone thought my eye-sight was poor, I should say that what I thought was a weird Desktop image that I posted for you, now looks perfect on my PC now that the problem has been overcome, so no-one can actually see the problem! (Hadn't thought about this possibility)