Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-07, 10:38 AM   #1
superklye

Default Westinghouse LTV-32w6

After much deliberation, Iím strongly leaning toward picking up the Westinghouse LTV-32w6 tonight after work from Best Buy. The LG that I was considering previously has been discontinued and none of the stores around here have it in stock anymore. I was just perusing yesterday after getting the news and I saw that the LTV-32w6 is on sale for $699 down from $899. I checked Best Buy.com last night after I got home and saw that it was available in store only also which leads me to believe itís been discontinued for a new model.

I keep hearing excellent things about this TV (and all of the Westies, actually) and so Iím really wanting to get it. I also have a 12% off coupon from Reward Zone which would bring it down to about $650 after tax.

The display model looked absolutely fantastic and Iím thinking it may be the perfect TV for my room situation (being about 4-5 feet away at all times), plus itís got an eff-ton of inputs so I could hook up the HD-A2 as well as my PC via component-out.

Should I bite the bullet and do it? Itís a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it really seems to be worth it from seeing it in action and from reading reviews around the 'net.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 11:22 AM   #2
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Re: Westinghouse LTV-32w6

Good Price, Good TV. Only one thing would hold me back. Did you check to see how SDTV looks? On *most* LCD's, SDTV looks very very bad. Alot of the time its so bad its not even worth watching. I would ask Best Buy if they could feed some SD content through the TV.

For me, I don't watch much SDTV, so this wouldn't be a factor. My girlfriend however, seemingly ONLY watches SDTV(considering how few HD channels that are available), so we opted to get a rear projection TV. If you watch alot of SDTV content, you might want to opt for some type of rear projection or CRT TV. If you are like me and only care about HDTV, then by all means get it.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 11:36 AM   #3
superklye

Well, I'd only be watching occasional shows on Discovery, MTV and Comedy Central...perhaps a bit of Adult Swim if I’m up that late…but the vast majority of what I’d be watching would be HD DVDs and upconverted SD DVDs via the HD-A2.

They actually had two models on display (I guess not TECHNICALLY the same model since the LTV-32w6 was displaying SD content and the 32” Westy with the built-in DVD drive was showing HD content…but from what I understand, the panels in the two TVs are identical) and the SD did look pretty terrible. It wasn’t unwatchable by any means, but it certainly was a big step down from my current tube SDTV. I’m not overly concerned though because, like I said, the majority of my watching would be HD.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 01-22-07, 02:34 PM   #4
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Unless someone has a better suggestion, which I don't, I say let a rip on that one.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 04:08 PM   #5
Bman212121

I have one sitting in my living room, and it is a pretty nice TV. It works really well with pc's over vga and dvi, and the ps3 looks really good on it as well. I've gotten to check out some hd content on it and that looks pretty good, espically PBS-HD.

The SD content does look a little bad, but you have to remember that it will on any device. It will look better from a little farther away than what you are sitting at, but it is still plenty viewable. I've compared the signal to one running through a dvd combo player with component, and a vcr, and it looks just as good as both of those if not better. Also, if you can get the digital equivalents of your analog channels, they will make the sd channels look a decent amount better. I really don't think SD is going to be worse on another device, unless it is a smaller tv since it doesn't stretch the image as much.

Also, if it's already pushing your budget, then it is definetely an awesome buy. Anything else that you could get in that range is probably 26" or less, unless it is some generic POS.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 04:17 PM   #6
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
Also, if it's already pushing your budget, then it is definetely an awesome buy. Anything else that you could get in that range is probably 26" or less, unless it is some generic POS.
That's exactly what I'm thinking and I'll be damned if I'm going to get stuck with crappy Insignia.

I thought the LTV-32w6 did NOT have a DVI-input. That's what the BB site says and I can't say I recall seeing one...does it have one?
Old 01-22-07, 04:29 PM   #7
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
That's exactly what I'm thinking and I'll be damned if I'm going to get stuck with crappy Insignia.

I thought the LTV-32w6 did NOT have a DVI-input. That's what the BB site says and I can't say I recall seeing one...does it have one?
No, I don't know if I posted it having one, but I'm almost positive it didn't have DVI on it, but rather HDMI. You can use a DVI to HDMI cable to run your pc, and use a standard HDMI cable for a ps3. As far as I'm concerned, HDMI is DVI /w HDCP + audio.
Old 01-22-07, 04:32 PM   #8
superklye

Quote:
No, I don't know if I posted it having one, but I'm almost positive it didn't have DVI on it, but rather HDMI. You can use a DVI to HDMI cable to run your pc, and use a standard HDMI cable for a ps3. As far as I'm concerned, HDMI is DVI /w HDCP + audio.
Ah, okay. This is why I thought you said it had DVI:

Quote:
I have one sitting in my living room, and it is a pretty nice TV. It works really well with pc's over vga and dvi, and the ps3 looks really good on it as well. I've gotten to check out some hd content on it and that looks pretty good, espically PBS-HD.
Not a huge deal. I was just kind of excited because I have a DVI>HDMI cable already that isn't being used since it didn't work on my 3007WFP. But that's fine...I can just snag an HDMI cable for the HD-A2 > TV. I wish it had two HDMI so I could use that other cable for PC > TV, but ah well. I'll stick with components for PC > TV since I have so many of those laying around it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Old 01-22-07, 05:10 PM   #9
Bman212121

Quote:

Not a huge deal. I was just kind of excited because I have a DVI>HDMI cable already that isn't being used since it didn't work on my 3007WFP. But that's fine...I can just snag an HDMI cable for the HD-A2 > TV. I wish it had two HDMI so I could use that other cable for PC > TV, but ah well. I'll stick with components for PC > TV since I have so many of those laying around it's getting a bit ridiculous.
Yea, it would have been nice to have two of em, but the only tv's I've seen with 2 start at $1200.
Old 01-22-07, 05:13 PM   #10
Bman212121

Quote:

Yea oops. I can tell you right now though, if you want to use the analog out from the pc it will still look pretty good on that tv. I had a toshiba 32" monitor, and that westy, and the difference was night and day when you hooked it up to a pc over analog.
Old 01-22-07, 08:09 PM   #11
superklye

I got it for $650 w/tax. The girl that rang me up was new and so she didn't know that I wasn't supposed to get the 12% off coupon in addition to the $200 off sale.

W00t!

I'm setting it up (it's scanning for cable channels currently) and already it looks spectacular. No dead pixels either...I can't wait for this to finish so I can watch an HD DVD on it!

Now, I just need to get an HDMI cable so I can upconvert SD DVDs, too. What's that website everyone goes to? Monoprice or something?
Old 01-22-07, 08:25 PM   #12
betterdan