Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-16-06, 12:08 AM   #1
89gtaman

Default Unable to load kernal module error...???

Greetings all,

I am new to Mandriva 2007....Linux in general. I am quickly learning my way around, however I am not able to enable AIGLX or Xgl on my machine. The reason why I want to enable this is so that I can take advantage of the 3D desktop option, also so that the graphics are a little quicker than software rendering. I have a GeForce MX 440 card that I tried installing the driver pack for. I started to run the installer however during the process where it registers the kernal I got the following error

"Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).

I have searched for topics online on how to solve this but I was not sure what I am actually looking for. I read somewhere where I have to install the updated source code....but I have no idea how or where to do this. Is there anyone that has had a similar issue, and that could give me a helping hand on how to solve this. If you need anymore information on my system just ask. I have attatched a copy of the log file if that helps determine the cause of the issue. Thanks a bunch

Brad
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-installer.txt (20.8 KB, 177 views)
89gtaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 09:01 PM   #2
89gtaman

Default Re: Unable to load kernal module error...???

Does anyone have any clue???
89gtaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-06, 03:59 AM   #3
qraton

Do you have the rivatv module installed? (open a console, log in as root and type: lsmod | grep rivatv). If yes unload it (modprobe -r rivatv) and try installing the Nvida driver again. That worked for me.

Good luck.
qraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 10:20 AM   #4
reddins

I've only been able to make this work using the link provided below by adding the livna repository to yum and update per the instructions listed in the link given. Nothing I tried in this forum worked. As a side note, I also noticed how poorly the Fedora 6 installer upgrades from Fedora 5. I had to update KDE in text mode using yum before I could get to the desktop, after upgrading the nvidia drivers from livna of course. Good luck!

livna Nvidia drivers, install help, etc.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...-6-38740.shtml
reddins is offline   Reply With Quote