Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-15-07, 08:35 AM   #25
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Default Re: Gabe Newell says PS3 a total disaster ?

while HL2 the game might have been over hyped, the engine itself was pretty damn cool. They got a good physics engine in there, as well as some spiffy lighting affects.

I'm a bit confused with all the hate towards some of the biggest figures in the gaming industry such as Carmack and Newell. I may not agree/understand everything they say, but these guys are the ones in the trenches making the games we like. I think a bit more respect should be shown.

That was a funny pic of him though
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 10:03 AM   #26
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

As much as I love the Gabe pics, I have to agree with the statement. The PS3 is a total disaster, especially if you are a poor, broke college student like I am. Just for mentioning, I am a manager at Blockbuster. A few people ask why we don't have any more PS3 games besides Full Auto 2 . . I tell them that our higher offices see that the PS3 is not doing well at all (sales wise) and is a poor investment for the company. Honest statement in a recent memo. Looks like we won't get any new PS3 games until April or so!

People also ask about Blu-Ray and what it is . . . I tell them that BR sales are not doing well at all and that we can't carry either new HD format because BB is waiting for more people to buy into BR, thus evening out HD-format sales and having a balance of interest in both formats. Now, the people that ask for HD-DVDs is another story; people are actually interested.

I know most of you are going to say that our higher offices suck (which they do, BB does in general) but it's a big statement when a company like BB can't carry PS3 games or BR movies due to lack of interest.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 11:01 AM   #27
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
People also ask about Blu-Ray and what it is . . . I tell them that BR sales are not doing well at all and that we can't carry either new HD format because BB is waiting for more people to buy into BR, thus evening out HD-format sales and having a balance of interest in both formats. Now, the people that ask for HD-DVDs is another story; people are actually interested.

I know most of you are going to say that our higher offices suck (which they do, BB does in general) but it's a big statement when a company like BB can't carry PS3 games or BR movies due to lack of interest.
Funny this site begs to differ.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

I remember when the HD-DVD fanboys used to post this and brag about how Blu-ray is getting its ass kicked. Looks like the battle is finally getting interesting. Now we need lower prices and more content from both camps!

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 12:15 PM   #28
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

lets not let the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray leak into this thread too. We have enough of these scattered throughout the forums. The crux of this thread topic was stated, and nobody has given good contrary evidence. All the major players have weighed in, and don't like the PS3's dev environment.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
Old 01-15-07, 12:23 PM   #29
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182
lets not let the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray leak into this thread too. We have enough of these scattered throughout the forums. The crux of this thread topic was stated, and nobody has given good contrary evidence. All the major players have weighed in, and don't like the PS3's dev environment.
How would you expect someone to give contrary evidence?

The man says the PS3 dev tools suck. No one here can argue that since no one has used it and it's his opinion. For every John Carmack and Gabe Newell that talks about how the PS3 is a pain in the ass, there will be a Tim Sweeney, Hideo Kojima or David Jaffe who will be up to the challenge and produce great games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
Awesome, Go Blu-Ray Go!
I'd rather say go HD formats. The faster people adopt either will be the faster prices will drop.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 12:31 PM   #30
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikneedle
Dude don't talk crap on Newell, he's a very nice guy to the community. He's the major reason why so many mod community people are now working for Valve. Before HL2 came out, I was very active in the whole HL2 community and he answered a lot of the fan e-mails, plus he gives fans tours of Valve studios. A lot of his ideas are the reasons why Half-Life is a success. I don't see why his opinions are offending you that much.
The guy has a silver tongue. Half of the sh*t he says isn't even true (like when he listed the specs of his computer on the dev wiki, he had these way bloated specs and said he played in an AA mode that wasn't even possible.)

Then he sits there and talks about how great his company's technology is and crap, and when the actual releases come around many items he brags about aren't even there, the ones that are end up being sh*tty (especially the AI in HL2,) and he promises release dates that are never met.

All while praising his own goods (which have many, many faults,) he constantly knocks on the goods of other companies. He did the same thing with the xbox 360 when microsoft said they weren't going to give all configurations a hard drive. He is almost as bad as Derek Smart, only without all of the community level flaming.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Last edited by Rakeesh; 01-15-07 at 01:55 PM.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 01:08 PM   #31
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Contrary evidence would be other big developers saying it is easy to develop for. However I don't think such comments exist. I think even the Sony press releases about the Cell say they sacrificed programmability for theoretical computing power. Most of the comments I have seen from Sony acknowledge the steep learning curve, but expect people to get over it and make good games in the end.

I think what a lot of these people complaining about the PS3 and multicore development are trying to dispel the thought by the uninformed that just becuase you have this special new chip, that presto all your applications will run better on them without a lot of effort to update everything.
Old 01-15-07, 01:17 PM   #32
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
He is almost as bad as Derek Smart, only without all of the community level flaming.
low blow dude... low blow....

thor1182, I don't think anyone will say the PS3 is easy to program for. Its an entirly new architecture which any programmer will have to learn how to take advantage of. You can code it in the standard fashion and ignore many of its extra capabilities but no one wants to do that. What was said about the PS3 was that in reality its easier to code for then the PS2 mainly since the GPU is not utter **** and that it shares many similarities with other architures unlike how the PS2 didn't.

Old 01-15-07, 01:23 PM   #33
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

I do think Sony made a good design decision with its GPU component, and didn't just try and make everything run off Cell's which is what early rumors were.
Old 01-15-07, 01:50 PM   #34
Nv40
Agent-Fx

The PS3 is not more dificult to program that the Ps2 was.... and yet they released a very impressive library of quality games. WHat i see here is a PC developer upset that they cant do a straight port from the PC to the PS3 .That means to spend a LOT more money in the development of their multiplatform games. ONly Pc developers without experience in consoles rant about PS3 dificulty . Playstation2 developers find more easier the PS3 enviroment than it was with the PS2.

oh yes... and Bluray is the current leader in HD media sales and thats the way it will stay. From here the distance between both formats will be far greater once SOny release the Ps3 in europe in a couple of months. ditto .. the war was myth , this is simply mathematics ,probabilty and stadistics 101. .
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 01:59 PM   #35
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

There is a trick to that though. If it is too much work to port their PC game to console, they won't do it. There were more PC ports to xbox than there were to the PS2 because of the ease of porting to the xbox because of the dev kits and the similar architectures. If you want the killer PC apps on your console, I would think you would want system Y to be easy to dev for and an almost seamless port.

I don't see a reason why anybody should be making excuses for any manufacture when it comes to multi platform releases. The easier it is to port and get a game engine running on a system, the more time they can spend polishing it and making it better. If it is hard to port to, you get the lesser version of the port because they spent so much time and resources just getting it to work on system y.
Old 01-15-07, 02:25 PM   #36
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
The PS3 is not more dificult to program that the Ps2 was.... and yet they released a very impressive library of quality games. WHat i see here is a PC developer upset that they cant do a straight port from the PC to the PS3 .That means to spend a LOT more money in the development of their multiplatform games. ONly Pc developers without experience in consoles rant about PS3 dificulty . Playstation2 developers find more easier the PS3 enviroment than it was with the PS2.

oh yes... and Bluray is the current leader in HD media sales and thats the way it will stay. From here the distance between both formats will be far greater once SOny release the Ps3 in europe in a couple of months. ditto .. the war was myth , this is simply mathematics ,probabilty and stadistics 101. .
wow.....