Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-07, 06:33 PM   #1
solarwindlinux

Default Where do I get drivers for my...

Hi all,

I have an ASUS M2NBP-VM Motherboard which has on board NVIDIA graphics. Where do I get drivers for Linux for my on board graphics?
solarwindlinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 06:44 PM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: Where do I get drivers for my...

For new users, the installation of nvidia drivers is better done by the linux distribution you are using. Once confident, the drivers can be manually updated by following the instructions in the readme (in the Unix section of nvidia's web site).
Edit: typo.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 08:27 PM   #3
solarwindlinux

Hmmm. I'm using (K)Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy. Does that distribution include the nvidia drivers for my integrated graphics?
Old 01-13-07, 10:07 PM   #4
whig
550Ti

I don't know if the drivers would be on the CD, but customized Ubuntu/Kubuntu nvidia drivers will be available on the net, ie within the Ubuntu software packaging system. Here's a good guide, lots of other info there too.
Click here.
Old 01-13-07, 10:18 PM   #5
solarwindlinux

Quote:
Originally Posted by whig
I don't know if the drivers would be on the CD, but customized Ubuntu/Kubuntu nvidia drivers will be available on the net, ie within the Ubuntu software packaging system. Here's a good guide, lots of other info there too.
Click here.

Hey thanks! But... will the driver be compatible with my graphics card?
Old 01-14-07, 12:39 AM   #6
whig
550Ti

If your board is less than ~3 years old then yes. I don't know that board, my guess is the graphics might be "6150", if so, supported for sure. You will want to find out which model, eg by motherboard manual. Warning: integrated graphics doesn't come close to the performance of cards
Old 01-14-07, 02:28 PM   #7
solarwindlinux

Quote:
If your board is less than ~3 years old then yes. I don't know that board, my guess is the graphics might be "6150", if so, supported for sure. You will want to find out which model, eg by motherboard manual. Warning: integrated graphics doesn't come close to the performance of cards

Hmmm. I tried installing the nvidia drivers from the repository, but they didn't work.
Old 01-14-07, 05:22 PM   #8
whig
550Ti

Then we get it to work then....

I take it X (the gui) didn't start. Run the program nvidia-bug-report.sh (as root) after X failed back to the console, and attach the output here.

(btw, please don't mix linux distribution nvidia packages with the drivers installed by the official nvidia installer, causes a mess and what we call "breakage".)

Old 01-14-07, 06:03 PM   #9
solarwindlinux

Quote:
Then we get it to work then....

I take it X (the gui) didn't start. Run the program nvidia-bug-report.sh (as root) after X failed back to the console, and attach the output here.

(btw, please don't mix linux distribution nvidia packages with the drivers installed by the official nvidia installer, causes a mess and what we call "breakage".)
Hey, I got it to work. The only problem was that my monitor wasn't detected properly. After I picked some random ViewSonic CRT monitor model and forced resolutions and refresh rates, everything went fine! The drivers installed properly and OpenGL works properly. The only problem is I can't do 1152x864 @ 85Hz. I can do it a 75 Hz but not 85 Hz. Any idea how I can force an 85 Hz refresh rate at 1152x864 resolution?
Old 01-14-07, 06:46 PM   #10
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

startx -- -logverbose 6
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 07:19 PM   #11
solarwindlinux

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
startx -- -logverbose 6
Why would I want to do that? All I want to do is use a specific resolution and refresh rate specified in my previous post.
Old 01-14-07, 07:54 PM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

You asked "Any idea how I can force an 85 Hz refresh rate at 1152x864 resolution?"

Running that command and reviewing the X log will show you all the available modes. Barring that you need to generate a custom modeline.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote