Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-13-03, 01:56 AM   #13
[ca]ghast

I will check the MTRR in a bit..

I have done it without NvAgp "0" (and with other values)

Makes no difference that I can see.. There are many posts here about that being the solution for the black screen.
[ca]ghast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-03, 02:33 AM   #14
[ca]ghast

XF86Config

I was using a file generated by xf86config before this one, but it was giving me no luck. Both were edited with correct values..

It seems that MTRR is not there, but from what I understand it seems like that would only cause slower performance, not crashing all together..
Old 03-13-03, 03:48 AM   #15
[ca]ghast

I have the worst luck when it comes to trying to get X Windows to work.. anything else I am fine..

I was just recompiling the kernel.. apparently something didn't work right.. can't boot linux anymore.

I guess I am going to give up again for a while.. It's not worth all of this trouble. I have an XP install that is tremendously stable and which I have made plenty secure.. only reason I was really interested in switching to linux on the desktop was the lack of spyware built in.. I think there are 16 different instances where XP "phones home"..and there is no way around them. (I have a fully legit copy from an MS training program, so that isn't why.. I just don't like the idea of it at all.)

Thanks for your help..
Old 03-15-03, 11:51 PM   #16
Nerull

Quote:
Originally posted by [ca]ghast
I was just recompiling the kernel.. apparently something didn't work right.. can't boot linux anymore.
It happens, you probobly forgot to include a part of the kernel that was required. Although i havn't tested it myself, the standard kernel defaults it comes, from what i've heard, with will not create a bootable kernel, if you distro has precompiled kernels, you can import the config file from that kernel, and tweak it to compile the new one, that way you shouldn't forget anything.
You also just learned the importance of a rescue disk/cd and a backup of the old kernel.
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-03, 11:50 AM   #17
etr

Quote:
Originally posted by [ca]ghast
When I've done this, it's generally because I forgot to run lilo (/grub) before rebooting. I'd recommend two different steps:
(1) Always have a rescue disk handy
(2) Always have a "backup" entry set up with lilo/grub that you can boot to if your new kernel ends up dead.

These two steps can save an amazing amount of headache.

As far as getting the drivers working is concerned, I would probably focus pretty hard on the kernel module at this point. I would make sure that I could get that loaded cleanly before proceeding to the X driver.
etr is offline   Reply With Quote