Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-15-07, 04:38 PM   #1
Badboy_12345

Default PS3 sales figures 'not good'

Quote:
If NPD's numbers are correct, there are over 300K PS3s on retail shelves. That is not good for a console launch of only a million and it's not good for publishers with PS3 software."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22215

well bye bye sony, now just abandon the ps3 crap and start making a ps4, you ****ed up... go back to the drawing board
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 04:42 PM   #2
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Default Re: PS3 sales figures 'not good'

well the biggest issue is there's nothing to drive sales, game titles are few and far between, the pricepoint is higher than it's competitor, and the majority of the market could care less about Blu-ray. The only thing this means at this point in time is that it might drive away some titles from smaller companies that would stand to lose more by developing strictly for the ps3, aside from that it doesn't mean much atm.

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 05:51 PM   #3
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

I know I sold this one for a 100 dollar profit, but I am tempted to get one just because of the stupidly low prices its going for on Ebay. I mean come on its just 2 months since it was released and already people have called it a doomed console
Old 01-15-07, 06:19 PM   #4
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

Quote:
If NPD's numbers are correct, there are over 300K PS3s on retail shelves.
wow, what a misinterpretation of NPD's numbers. Sure there are PS3s on shelves, but I bet you my bottom dollar its not a full 300k.

NPD doesnt take in account of canada's shipments (they are US only numbers), the PS3's still in transit, and as nintendo likes to say "mom and pop" stores. IIRC NPD doesnt count walmart either, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

All things considered, Almost 700K in the US (at the end of december) is not terrible when you factor it's better what 360 had at the same time last year, adding the fact its a 500-600 dollar system, and adding the fact theres only one major game for it right now.
Old 01-15-07, 10:11 PM   #5
Lyme

As things stand MS and Sony both produce their consoles sales in generally the same way.. Shipped to stores. Rather than Sold, which is what Nintendo does.

Looking at how things are to the corporations:
-The Wii is selling as good if not better than Nintendo imagined.
-The 360 isn't flying off the shelves, but still is doing immensely better than the Xbox v1. Plus MS has plans in the works for the 360 above and beyond gaming, which will help it sell.
-The PS3 no matter who you ask isn't selling as well as one would expect, how well it will do in the long run is too early to tell.. give it another six months. Unfortunately if the PS3 doesn't do well, Sony is likely to have some rough times ahead.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 01:00 AM   #6
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Boy
wow, what a misinterpretation of NPD's numbers. Sure there are PS3s on shelves, but I bet you my bottom dollar its not a full 300k.

NPD doesnt take in account of canada's shipments (they are US only numbers), the PS3's still in transit, and as nintendo likes to say "mom and pop" stores. IIRC NPD doesnt count walmart either, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

All things considered, Almost 700K in the US (at the end of december) is not terrible when you factor it's better what 360 had at the same time last year, adding the fact its a 500-600 dollar system, and adding the fact theres only one major game for it right now.
Yes, NPD doesn't count mom and pop shops and also major stores, I know that wallmart is one of them. Sony counts shipments as soon as they leave the plant but there is a big delay between that period and when stores actually get one, so it's very wrong to simply take Sony's numbers and subtract NPD's numbers.

I do have to add one thing to your post Bad_Boy, in defense of MS. Xbox 1 didn't have as big of an install base as PS2 had, so the initial sales almost have to be larger no matter what. I know for a fact, many avid Xbox 1 players didn't even want to get an Xbox 360 until a Halo game would be on it. So even with Sony selling more consoles during this time period than 360 did, they're still not doing good numbers, considering their stance in the console business.

Not to mention that Sony's shipments have been a lot better than MS's. I couldn't find a 360 in stores until April last year, I just saw 5 PS3s at a local EB today.... before that I didn't really "believe" the PS3 on shelves stories.
Old 01-16-07, 01:14 AM   #7
Badboy_12345

well at least they will have alot of ps3's for europe...
just send the left over ones from usa and japan
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 02:20 AM   #8
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

I think I might start joining in the "Lets find negative news" about the ps3 brigade. It will make me feel a whole load better about myself. Right off I go.
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-07, 12:47 PM   #9
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

The way Sony and Microsoft count the "shipped" systems are different.

Sony counts the shipments from factories to warehouses, MS counts shipments from warehouses to retailer (meaning the retailer has already paid, so for them they're as good as sold)

So there aren't really 300K PS3s sitting around in stores. They're probably still "in transit" as it takes 2-3 weeks from factory to final shipment. Considering the delays and the late ramp up of production, it's entirely possible that Sony has already produced 1M consoles destined to the NA market but they're yet to be seen on retail shelves.