Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-16-07, 05:23 PM   #25
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle
Default Re: PS3 sales figures 'not good'

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Doesn't matter where they launched they still have less number of units then Sony did in the same amount of time. As for MS not making the consoles, well I know that but do you actually know who does? No, ok well MS makes them then...
That wasn't the point, the problem is that MS outsources the different components to a number of companies... this dramatically slows down the process for them.
Old 01-16-07, 08:44 PM   #26
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

It's been said many times before but I'll repeat it here. Microsoft is mainly a software based company while Sony is mainly a hardware based company. Manufacturing hardware plays to Sony's strength which resulted in them being able to quickly saturate the market once certain issues were resolved. Microsoft on the other hand was at the mercy of multiple hardware manufactures (mostly Chinese).
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 08:48 PM   #27
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
It's been said many times before but I'll repeat it here. Microsoft is mainly a software based company while Sony is mainly a hardware based company. Manufacturing hardware plays to Sony's strength which resulted in them being able to quickly saturate the market once certain issues were resolved. Microsoft on the other hand was at the mercy of multiple hardware manufactures (mostly Chinese).
MS can easily make their own factories and units but they would rather not spend the money and deal with the delays. Sony had to make a new factory just for Cell Chips (Factory is based in China).
Old 01-16-07, 09:10 PM   #28
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Quote:
MS can easily make their own factories and units but they would rather not spend the money and deal with the delays. Sony had to make a new factory just for Cell Chips (Factory is based in China).
What do you mean MS can easily make their own factories? MS is still new to consoles and the Xbox 1 didn't sell like the PS2 did, I don't think MS is going to be building factories for their gaming division, until they actually make a profit.... which they still have yet to do.
Old 01-16-07, 09:23 PM   #29
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikneedle
What do you mean MS can easily make their own factories? MS is still new to consoles and the Xbox 1 didn't sell like the PS2 did, I don't think MS is going to be building factories for their gaming division, until they actually make a profit.... which they still have yet to do.
Nintendo is the only hardware manufacturer that ever makes a profit from their console at the start... Sony only made a profit from the PS2 5 years into its life.

MS has the funds to buy factories that already developer this hardware and control those factories themself. They could become a hardware minded company if they wanted but they wish to stay out of the hardware business for the most part.
Old 01-16-07, 09:39 PM   #30
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Quote:
Nintendo is the only hardware manufacturer that ever makes a profit from their console at the start... Sony only made a profit from the PS2 5 years into its life.

MS has the funds to buy factories that already developer this hardware and control those factories themself. They could become a hardware minded company if they wanted but they wish to stay out of the hardware business for the most part.
Well other than the Zune and the Xbox, does Microsoft really produce any major hardware (and keyboards and mice don't count). Sony on the other hand is completely opposite. I don't think MS wants to build their own factories for divisions that still didn't prove themself, the game division being one of them. Just because they make a crapload of money off of windows, doesn't mean they are willing to just throw all of it to back the 360.
Old 01-16-07, 11:08 PM   #31
ViN86

Quote:

that and the fact that their name is Microsoft....

as in software....
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 05:45 AM   #32
Namrok
Level 42 Conquerer

Send a message via ICQ to Namrok Send a message via AIM to Namrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
that and the fact that their name is Microsoft....

as in software....
And Microhard just sounds insulting
Namrok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-07, 09:56 AM   #33
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrok
And Microhard just sounds insulting
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 10:10 AM   #34
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikneedle
MS was not making the console themself, unlike Sony. Not to mention that MS launched in Europe too, or you forgot?
sony wasn't exctactly making their own console either

you got toshiba, nvidia, ibm, and i'm sure there are few others in there
Old 01-17-07, 11:32 AM   #35
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
sony wasn't exctactly making their own console either

you got toshiba, nvidia, ibm, and i'm sure there are few others in there
Actually Sony's fabs are the ones pressing the RSX Chips aswell as the CELL Chips, IBM does some but not in the quantity that Sony needs and most of theirs go towards their Server line. Toshiba I don't think presses anything, they just worked on the technology.
Old 01-17-07, 03:08 PM   #36
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Actually Sony's fabs are the ones pressing the RSX Chips aswell as the CELL Chips, IBM does some but not in the quantity that Sony needs and most of theirs go towards their Server line. Toshiba I don't think presses anything, they just worked on the technology.
thats what i meant, they made the technology that sony is using