Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-16-07, 06:34 AM   #13
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: NVIDIA hiring eDRAM engineers - for Sony's PSP2? (and maybe for desktop, PS4?)

psp is a fine web based remote for XBMC, thats about it
Old 01-16-07, 11:29 AM   #14
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Re: NVIDIA hiring eDRAM engineers - for Sony's PSP2? (and maybe for desktop, PS4?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
lol PSP2, seeing as though the first one was a failure, I doubt we'll be seeing a second one.
I remember when people were saying the same thing about another Nintendo console after the Gamecube. And how exactly is the PSP a failure again?
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 04:04 PM   #15
AirRaid

PSP version 2 in 2007-2008

next-gen micro-CELL-based, Nvidia eDRAM GPU-based PSP2 in 2010, methinks
AirRaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 06:36 PM   #16
Treason
nVidia GeForce FX 5600 U

The PSP is not a failure. It's Sony use of the UMD format that is a total failure. How many times have you walked into your big box electronics store and seen UMD moves go for/found in cheap prices/bargin bin? I can't believe how Sony put so much effort into marketing the PSP, yet not even put out the word on UMD movies. Where were the "now available on UMD" after the "now available on DVD" marketing lines?
Treason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 08:23 PM   #17
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

UMDs failed because Sony actually thought that PSP owners would pony up more money then the regular DVD version of the same movie. Whoever decided on the pricing of UMD movies should be fired. $25-$30 for a movie that only plays on a 4" screen at a lower resolution then a regular DVD is insane!
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 08:26 PM   #18
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
UMDs failed because Sony actually thought that PSP owners would pony up more money then the regular DVD version of the same movie. Whoever decided on the pricing of UMD movies should be fired. $25-$30 for a movie that only plays on a 4" screen at a lower resolution then a regular DVD is insane!
but but but is portable
Old 01-16-07, 08:36 PM   #19
|MaguS|

Quote:
The problem with UMD Movie pricing was that Sony never set a MSRP like they do with the games... so the studios were able to price them whatever they wanted and well we all know how greedy movie studios are...

They should start all over with UMD movies and set the max price at 19.99 with the average around $10 - $15, when I mean Max, I mean something like Family guy where it comes on 6 discs.
Old 01-16-07, 08:53 PM   #20
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
The problem with UMD Movie pricing was that Sony never set a MSRP like they do with the games...
So in essence Sony let the movie studios kill yet another one of their proprietary video formats. You can't blame the movie studios for this. Sony should have foreseen this and made the necessary changes to keep UMD movies a viable option for consumers.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-07, 08:59 PM   #21
|MaguS|

Quote:
So in essence Sony let the movie studios kill yet another one of their proprietary video formats. You can't blame the movie studios for this. Sony should have foreseen this and made the necessary changes to keep UMD movies a viable option for consumers.
They can revive it... if they want to... seems like Sony is letting it just drift along, there are new movies releasing for it... just not many.
Old 01-16-07, 11:47 PM   #22
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
And how exactly is the PSP a failure again?
It's getting owned by the DS
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 01:35 PM   #23
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
It's getting owned by the DS
How does not matching the sales of the current market leader indicate failure? Were the N64 and Gamecube failures because the PS1 and PS2 sold better? Would the Wii be a failure if the Xbox 360 sells more in the end (or vice versa)? I think you'd need much more backing up the idea of a system being a failure than simply how it's sales numbers match up to the leading system.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote