Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-16-07, 03:29 AM   #1
Arioch

Question PS3 Questions

I have looked through a couple places but its hard to get the exact answers when having to wade through a lot of useless posts so I thought I would post this here.

1. I have a Westinghouse LVM-37W3 with a native resolution of 1080p. Will PS3 games upscale to that resolution without any issues? I have heard of issues with older tvs being forced down to 480p but I assume I should not worry about that.

2. For those that watch BD movies on this, how does the quality match up to that of standalone units. As a reference, I find the Xbox 360's HD-DVD addon to work well enough.

3. Outside of getting Resistance, what are some big titles I can look forward to soon?

With the apparent titles coming out for BD this year it appears there are more movies I want that are BD only than HD-DVD so I am planning on buying this for its dual usage for movie watching/gaming.

Thanks!
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 06:12 AM   #2
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy
Default Re: PS3 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch
I have looked through a couple places but its hard to get the exact answers when having to wade through a lot of useless posts so I thought I would post this here.
I'll try my best.

Quote:
1. I have a Westinghouse LVM-37W3 with a native resolution of 1080p. Will PS3 games upscale to that resolution without any issues? I have heard of issues with older tvs being forced down to 480p but I assume I should not worry about that.
Your monitor/hdtv should upscale everything for you. My cousin has that same and it works fine except for one thing. Theres a handshake issue with HDMI so you might have to get a HDMI to DVI converter. There wont be any forced 480p on that monitor, so you should be fine.

Quote:
2. For those that watch BD movies on this, how does the quality match up to that of standalone units. As a reference, I find the Xbox 360's HD-DVD addon to work well enough.
The quality is currently on par if not better than standalone units. And firmware updates will only improve it. The only negative is that theres no IR sensor, so you cannot use a universal remote for it. Theres a PS3 bluetooth remote you can buy for about 24 dollars. The positive of using a bluetooh remote is that you wont have to aim the remote to the PS3 to make it work, infact you could turn it on from another room.

Quote:
3. Outside of getting Resistance, what are some big titles I can look forward to soon?
Honestly, theres not much right now out. Theres downloadables which are fun for a while (tekken, flOw, gripshift, lemmings, sudoku, etc.) Pretty good prices for those, but of course you dont buy a PS3 for the downloadables. The good games dont start hitting until around February/March. F1 racing, Motorstorm, Oblivion, Heavenly Sword, Virtua Fighter 5, Virtua Tennis 3, Fatal Inertia, Eye of Judgement, MLB the Show, College Hoops 2k7, etc. All these come out either march or february.

I preordered VF5, Motorstorm and Heavenly Sword so far. But until those come out I've ben playing resistance, RR7, downloadables, nba2k7, madden, and fight night to hold me over.

Quote:
With the apparent titles coming out for BD this year it appears there are more movies I want that are BD only than HD-DVD so I am planning on buying this for its dual usage for movie watching/gaming.
Yeah, there were some good announcments during CES this year. A lot to look forward to. Theres still a couple HD-DVD's that I wish were on blu-ray though.

Quote:
Thanks!
NP.
Old 01-16-07, 08:56 AM   #3
OWA

Yeah, it should work fine on the LVM-37W3. I'm using it with the LVM-37W1 and it's working great.

I haven't compared the PS3 to a standalone blu-ray player but if you're happy with the HD-DVD addon for the x360, I think you'll be happy with the PS3 blu-ray player. I have both and think they both do a good job.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 09:39 AM   #4
LurkerLito

I haven't compared the PS3 blu-ray vs standalone, but according to people on avsforum it is one of the best blu-ray players out now. As far as the HD-DVD add on. If you have noticed the DD+ sound conversion bug, then you'll love the PS3 blu-ray player. It sounds so much better than the add on. I think it is a HUGE mistake for MS to hold that update till the next major update. As far as picture quality, when encoded well like black hawk down, there is almost no difference, but when encoded poorly like stargate, then the difference can be huge. The one thing I really like about HD-DVD is they did encode pretty much every movie I have bought properly, unlike BR, where it seems some movies were not given much attention at all.

bad_boy: flOw? I played the web game but I didn't see it at the ps store. I didn't think it was out yet.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 09:47 AM   #5
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito

bad_boy: flOw? I played the web game but I didn't see it at the ps store. I didn't think it was out yet.
Nah but it should be out pretty soon. Rumor is, within the next week or so.
Old 01-16-07, 03:48 PM   #6
Arioch

Thanks for all the feedback. I have read on the AVSforums about "handshaking" issues the PS3 is having with some sets so hopefully there will be further updates to the firmware coming from Sony.
Old 01-16-07, 04:17 PM   #7
OWA

BTW, I'm using a HDMI-to-DVI cable with the LVM-37W1 since it doesn't have HDMI. I used the standard cable supplied with the PS3 to provide the audio.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 05:55 PM   #8
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I have read on the AVSforums about "handshaking" issues the PS3 is having with some sets so hopefully there will be further updates to the firmware coming from Sony.
Yeah my cousin has the same issue with his Westinghouse, fixed it by using a HDMI-to-DVI cable.

Old 01-16-07, 06:16 PM   #9
Arioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Boy
Yeah my cousin has the same issue with his Westinghouse, fixed it by using a HDMI-to-DVI cable.
Well that would solve my input issues. I am currently using my 360 on VGA and my HD cable box on HDMI.
Old 01-16-07, 06:32 PM   #10
evilchris

Does the PS3 have spdif or dcoax out? If not, you have to sacrifice any advanced audio due to handshake issues?
Old 01-16-07, 06:34 PM   #11
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Quote:
Well that would solve my input issues. I am currently using my 360 on VGA and my HD cable box on HDMI.
Sounds like it should workout then.
monoprice should have some fair prices converters.
Old 01-16-07, 08:15 PM   #12
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
It has an optical audio output, and I believe you can get an AV cable with a digital audio out on it.

Even if you're using the HDMI, the sound can be routed through the optical output.
Or analog.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote