Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-16-07, 06:28 AM   #1
gfixler

Unhappy strange hangs/crashes w/ 1.0-9746 on Ubuntu

I just upgraded to 1.0-9746, and I have a GeForce 7900 GT/GTO. I then let Ubuntu 6.06 pull in some updates - about 50 or so, and some were kernel things, which is why I updated the Nvidia drivers first. The last time I didn't do that, and couldn't fire up the X server, which was a pain. This time I did it in the opposite order, and all was well. I also appreciate the fancy new NVIDIA startup screen. The quick flash of the all-white version previously kept blinding me whenever I started X :)

However, now I can't open Maya - the 3D package I use for everything at work and home (this is home). When I try, my right (dual setup) goes to technicolor ASCII characters for a second, then everything goes black, some large white rectangles (~2x solid cursor size) flicker around the screen, and then I find myself back at the login screen. This happens every time I try to start Maya, either from a script with flags I usually use, or just typing maya on the command line.

Poking around in the NVIDIA X Server Settings UI, this same crash happens when I select the OpenGL/GLX Information option in the list. All of the other options don't crash me out. I wanted to do the -logverbose 6 thing mentioned in the sticky, but I can't even stop X. When I try, via sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop, it goes out to a screen of boot messages, like it's trying to fire up the shell for me, but after the screen fills with them (almost immediately) it just hangs there forever with a blinking cursor, and I have to hit reset.

I don't know how helpful the bug report will be without me being able to start X in logverbose level 6, but I've attached it anyway. Thanks for any ideas - this is unfortunately holding up my work in the meantime! At least I still have surfing.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (128.3 KB, 94 views)
gfixler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 12:19 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: strange hangs/crashes w/ 1.0-9746 on Ubuntu

According to your bug report, you're not using the GLX module which ships with the NVIDIA driver:

(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 7.0.0, module version = 1.0.0
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.2

This suggests that the driver wasn't correctly installed. I'd suggest (re)installing 1.0-9746.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 12:56 AM   #3
gfixler

Talking Re: strange hangs/crashes w/ 1.0-9746 on Ubuntu

That was indeed the issue. I will remember in which order to install things next time.

Thanks, Lonni. You're the best!
gfixler is offline   Reply With Quote