Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-07, 06:42 PM   #1
mattengland

Question Hortizontal mouse "spanning" after 'xrandr -o left'?

I have an Ubuntu Dapper 6.06.1 machine with a NVIDIA e-GeForce 7600 GTS card and 2 Samsung Syncmaster 204b monitors. TwinView is working well in the 'xrandr -o normal' mode.

However, when putting the system into what I call "vertical" mode (with 'xrandr -o left'), it does re-orient the monitors to a "vertical" view, and when I rotate said monitors everything looks good and works well except for...

Mouse spanning between the 2 monitors: I can not move the mouse horizontally to get to the other monitor. In order to move from the primary/left monitor to the secondary/right monitor, I have span my mouse on the bottom of the left screen to get to the top of the right screen. To get back, I have to move the mouse to the top of the right screen to get to the bottom of the left screen.

Is there a way to do this such that I can move the mouse horizontally to "match" the mouse screen pans? ie, I want to move the mouse to the end of the right side of the left screen to get to the end of the right side of the left screen (instead of the above scenario).

Does my question make sense?

-Matt
Old 01-16-07, 10:20 PM   #2
mattengland

Default Re: Hortizontal mouse "spanning" after 'xrandr -o left'?

bump
Old 01-16-07, 10:33 PM   #3
mattengland

If I can't get this to work, as a workaround, is there a some hotkey and/or mouse-button combination that can magically transport my mouse from one screen to another?

Having to move from one screen to another by moving my moust "down" or "up" is just so unintuitive and hard to get used to. Further, it's more than just me getting used to it; I'm trying to build a dual-monitor workstation I can duplicate for many of my developers. And the vertical-orientation of the monitors is proving to be quite useful for looking at longer/taller stretches of code.

Thanks for any help,
-Matt
Old 01-17-07, 12:44 AM   #4
xbobmx

From appendix U in the README:

TwinView and rotation can be used together, but rotation affects the entire desktop. This means that the same rotation setting will apply to both display devices in a TwinView pair. Note also that the TwinViewOrientation option applies before rotation does. For example, if you have two screens side-by-side and you want to rotate them, you should set TwinViewOrientation to Above or Below.
xbobmx is offline   Reply With Quote