Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-18-07, 09:12 AM   #13
Namrok
Level 42 Conquerer

Send a message via ICQ to Namrok Send a message via AIM to Namrok
Default Re: Should I buy an Xbox 360?

Man, I've made that decision more than a few times in my cash strapped college days, or even my allowance saving public school days. Spend X amount of money now (and I want it NOW) but get a bad deal, or wait a little longer, save a little longer, and get what I really want.

Generally its best to hold off until you can get the package thats worth getting, and its especially true with the 360. Having the HD is pivotal for enjoying demos, live arcade and watching trailers. And trust me, the demos are great. I never thought I'd need the headset, I never play online much, and then I started playing Gears of War coop and was glad I had it. Plus, once you go wireless with the controller you can never go back.

Just wait till you have enough money for the Premium pack.
Namrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-07, 09:47 AM   #14
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Should you buy a 360?

Yes.
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-07, 09:54 AM   #15
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

here i come to Wii the day!
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-07, 10:13 AM   #16
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

as saturn stated, stay the hell away from the nyko coolers, as they not only void your warranty, but they also end up breaking more systems than helping.

some genius figured that by forcing air in with no exhaust was a smart idea. moronic engineers ftw

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-07, 10:20 AM   #17
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio
some genius figured that by forcing air in with no exhaust was a smart idea. moronic engineers ftw
It's amazing how many people think this will work though. "But I'm blowing all this cool air in, so it must be good cooling." Except all that cool air is just going in and heating up to become hot air that just sits there frying your expensive electronics. It comes up quite a bit with clueless people building their own PCs.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-07, 11:00 AM   #18
LurkerLito

I have to agree, I don't subscribe to Live but the HD I think is essential. Even though you can get the games you want with the core in the end you will be better off holding off the purchase and getting the premium with the hard drive.

As far as games go I would expect that Dead Rising will hit the lower priced section soon. It has already gone on sale a few times for $39.99 or less at my local stores. That usually means it is on the way to the lower price 360 games. Maybe by the time you have enough for the premium system you'll be able to buy it at the reduced price.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-07, 12:31 PM   #19
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
It's amazing how many people think this will work though. "But I'm blowing all this cool air in, so it must be good cooling." Except all that cool air is just going in and heating up to become hot air that just sits there frying your expensive electronics. It comes up quite a bit with clueless people building their own PCs.
lmao....

My first PC I ever built(was 15), I did that! I had all 4 of my fans pointing inside. I remember thinking "thats stupid, why do people have their fans pointing out? Thats just wasting a fan."
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-07, 12:44 PM   #20
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
lmao....

My first PC I ever built(was 15), I did that! I had all 4 of my fans pointing inside. I remember thinking "thats stupid, why do people have their fans pointing out? Thats just wasting a fan."
yeah, i did the same thing... i had to google to learn that front/side=intake and top/back=outake. I got scared because my video card's idle temp went up to 90 degrees.

Old 01-18-07, 01:00 PM   #21
nemecb

In fairness, the only reason I didn't do that on my first computer was that there was only one fan and that was the psu fan. Which I actually was dumb enough to flip over so it ended up blowing hot air back from the psu into the case, thinking that blowing air on the processor was what I wanted to do. Fortunately this was in the day of the P1 when you could get away with booting without a heat sink and it would actually run (however briefly) without frying the processor.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-07, 01:51 PM   #22
Lyme

As one who has had a 360 since december 2005 and use it for lots of things, I strongly recommend a hard drive in the least for patches and updates and such. Please remember you can get the patches and updates with the free silver XBL subscription.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-07, 02:06 PM   #23
ViN86

yes, get a 360. you wont regret it.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-07, 02:43 PM   #24
npras42
Hi Everybody!

I agree with most people here and will say yes get an XBOX 360. They have come in to their own over the last 4-5 months and there are enough games to keep you happy for a while.

I'm not sure I agree about the HDD. I got the core. I don't ever feel like downloading demos or videos/trailers. Just doesn't interest me. The only thing you'll miss out on that I think is worthwhile is the XBOX Live Arcade. You could still get some of the smaller games (Geometry Wars!) that fit on the mem card easily and leave plenty of room for save games, but some of the newer Live Arcade games are 50MB and Castlevania is apparently going to be more. Also, you need the HDD for Backwards Compatibilty, so if you don't have an XBOX but want to play Halo 2, Ninja Gaidne etc, you'll need that HDD.

In the end, I still think I made the right decision, because I expect MS to eventually release a bigger HDD - though I'm not saying this will happen anytime soon, probably not in 2007. At that point I'll pick one up and not lose any money. On the other hand, those with the 20GB may end up buying the bigger HDD as well, so they'll be the one's losing money. Though they'll have had the advantage of having a HDD all this time.

Its always good to look at things from both sides!
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote