Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-05-07, 06:22 PM   #13
PenGun

Default Re: 1080i Bug with Component Video Output 6150

You only get the TV-Out modes with TV-Out. The common standard modes.

To get control of screen size, use modelines etc you need to do DVI or VGA out to the TV. A different ball game.
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 07:45 PM   #14
jimholt3

I tried the OverScan settings, but they don't seem to make any difference. I thought I might try a lower resolution and overscan it to the size of the screen, but no good. What is the "AddARGBGLXVisuals" setting for? I have not tried that. Also, I noted that the documentation said that all mode lines would be ignored in TV Out and have not tried any due to that.
jimholt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 09:32 AM   #15
Charles.Swenson
Professor

Thanks Jimholt3, PenGun, Kew for the replies,

The thing that bothers me is that under Windows XP I can get the Component TV-out to work well. There are several options for dealing with over/under scan to make the desktop fit the HD-TV display area. I therfore conclude the hardware can do it.

I will be a couple of days before I can try and dig into it but I think that the answer may be in the twinview feature of the driver and using twinview's meta modes. Although this is used for spreading desktops across multiple monitors is can be used with just one display.

The "AddARGBGLXVisuals" setting was put there by my Fedoria Core-6 and is something to do with OpenGL calls and 32 vs 64 bit calls. I found it described in the Docs for the driver so I just left it.
Charles.Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 02:34 PM   #16
kew

Quote:
To get control of screen size, use modelines etc you need to do DVI or VGA out to the TV. A different ball game.
My TV only supports Component for HD viewing, it also has s-vid and composite but no HD on those. Therefore I'm stuck with using the breakout to component that my geforce 7600 came with. That was one of the reasons I bought this vidi-card in the first place. The other reason: I heard nvidia had better driver support for linux than ati... but it looks like their drivers are the limiting factor for this modeline stuff.

I have to use a "HD1080i" option to get the components to work correctly, but then the modelines are disabled. It's a freakin' catch 22.

Quote:
The thing that bothers me is that under Windows XP I can get the Component TV-out to work well.
This is the same problem for me.

Question: Can we roll back to an older version driver, instead of the .9746, that doesn't disable the modelines when using the component output?? Will this loose any other functionality (like openGL...)?

Thanks guys.
kew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 12:53 AM   #17
Charles.Swenson
Professor

I spent time playing with TwinView and setting up various MetaModes which generally worked with the TV-out but did not do what I wanted. MetaModes can not be used to fix the overscan problem that result in cut off at the top and bottom of the display. It is kind of fun to be able to create a big panning domain and scroll around though.

I spent time reading though the various NV forums and found a thread “Overscan with 32” LCD TV” that deals with the same problem. The posts #42 and #44 in April 2006 sum up the problem we are describing. I found other traces of this problem in several other threads in these forums dealing with TV out and media center PC’s. NVIDA must know about this “feature request” from the Linux community but have chosen to not provide it.

I am done at this point unless I did into X and figure out how to tell it to only draw within a sub region of the display area presented by the driver (software underscan?).

Luckily my TV will take DVI or VGA or Component. It is just that I did not want to have to pull the new cables around in my entertainment center to use anything other than Component Video. I will now work on DVI output to this HDTV where I can create custom mode lines to deal with overscan problems.

I am a bit disappointed. I thought the hardware I had chosen was well supported. I also have yet to get sound working…… and I have to get the optical output going…… any success stories?
Charles.Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 01:50 AM   #18
PenGun

I guess it's how you do it. I have mild overscan on my 34" Sony but because I don't rely on my desktop it's not a problem. The amount windows fixes my overscan as opposed to linux is only a few pixels.

If you need the damn bar to do anything I guess it's a problem. I only use right click menus and key shortcuts so I never care about a few pixels on the edge.

I am kinda repeating myself but I quit windows after NT 3.51 and I really think the start button and bar suck big time. Why clutter your desktop and add clicks?
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 12:03 PM   #19
kew

Well, my overscan is a bit more off the screen... i can *guess* at where to find the drop-downs in the menu bar on gnome (top bar on mine), and the alt-tab can flip through the windows fine, but the Myth setup menus have check-boxes that are off the side (left) and I'd have to resize the desktop to see them (i.e. I have no idea if the openGL is enabled until i resize it). The Myth setting to resize/shift the TV output only applies to the actual TV signal, not the menus that must run in full screen.

But it would be nice for all applications if the screen size fit my viewable screen... I tried to resize the display in the 'service mode' on the TV, but the convergence is so messed up past the edges I don't want to bring it in any more.
kew is offline   Reply With Quote