Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-07, 06:39 PM   #109
djdoo
*BANNED*

Default Re: beryl black windows bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk75
Yes, it sucks. nvidia's drivers have a bug and there's no decent work around if you want to use beryl. It's crappy situation all around.

However, based on the response from Lonni, everything that can be done, is being done. The only thing anyone can offer you is sympathy. Frankly, though, it's hard to offer you even that when you come across as a total prick.

Adam
Oh really!? Thanks a lot my friend for telling me a prick!
If you think that just a few words is good response then allow me to tell you that you are an idiot!!
If you are working for Nvidia tell us to know!
Old 05-01-07, 06:44 PM   #110
adamk75

A) I don't work for nvidia.

B) nVidia has responded to about this bug numerous times on numerous threads. Saying that they are not willing to help is just plain stupid. They've said that their developers are working on the bug, and told you how to avoid it. Just because you don't like their response about how to avoid it doesn't make that response wrong or invalid.

C) I didn't say you were a prick. I said you were coming across like one. Trust me, I come across like a prick a lot, so I know what I'm talking about.

Adam
Old 05-01-07, 06:47 PM   #111
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Bob
djdoo, Netllama is just giving us the truth. Do you want him to lie to us? You/we may not be happy with the answer at this point, but that's the reality. I am still willing to run Beryl with the settings that you suggested, djdoo, and it seems to work pretty well. I still run into corrupted windows, but it takes longer and normal ops can be more easily recovered.
OK I accept what you are saying but regarding the time the bug is present and how serious it is let me ask you a simple question:

If this bug or a similar one took place in Vista's Aero stuff do you think Nvidia would have been working on it for so long and long and would give us an answer like this one netllama gave?
Old 05-01-07, 06:50 PM   #112
kriko
openSuSE11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Bob
NVIDIA provides better and more consistent support to the Linux community than any other graphics card company (not to name any names).
True, but that still doesn't mean that they are good at it. They deserve some criticism (positive and negative). Actually when I got a nvidia card I was recommending to my friends, because of support. Lately I impressed some friend with beryl show (he uses linux, but he has an crappy radeon), so I recommended nvidia. Imagine my phone ringing when he will hit that bug, as being a local linux guru. I'm not doing this anymore, I thought nvidia was more reliable at fixing bugs in linux drivers.

And, please chill out a bit. Everyone. However we demand some explanation on this mess (progress), we could all agree on that.
Old 05-01-07, 06:52 PM   #113
adamk75

You are comparing apples and oranges... beryl and compiz are still considered beta software. Aero is publicly available in commercial software. Aero also has a whole lot more users than compiz/beryl.

Take a look at the version history for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap... It's about 1.5 years old, and has actively been worked on for much of that time. Expecting a flawless implementation from any vendor is expecting too much.

Adam
Old 05-01-07, 06:52 PM   #114
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk75
A) I don't work for nvidia.

B) nVidia has responded to about this bug numerous times on numerous threads. Saying that they are not willing to help is just plain stupid. They've said that their developers are working on the bug, and told you how to avoid it. Just because you don't like their response about how to avoid it doesn't make that response wrong or invalid.

C) I didn't say you were a prick. I said you were coming across like one. Trust me, I come across like a prick a lot, so I know what I'm talking about.

Adam
They telling me to avoid the bug by not using beryl!!??
I don't feel good tonight...
Old 05-01-07, 07:06 PM   #115
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriko
True, but that still doesn't mean that they are good at it. They deserve some criticism (positive and negative). Actually when I got a nvidia card I was recommending to my friends, because of support. Lately I impressed some friend with beryl show (he uses linux, but he has an crappy radeon), so I recommended nvidia. Imagine my phone ringing when he will hit that bug, as being a local linux guru. I'm not doing this anymore, I thought nvidia was more reliable at fixing bugs in linux drivers.

And, please chill out a bit. Everyone. However we demand some explanation on this mess (progress), we could all agree on that.
Just to mention the crappy radeon you said has a full speed increasing linux support with new drivers coming every 2 weeks from AMD (not to say earlier) and with very serious fixes under the hood! Cause a friend of mine uses a radeon and he is new to linux so I take care of his system and runs beryl WITHOUT black windows(Still in XGL mode but now there is a setup for ATI cards without XGL, I will check it out these days and I' ll tell you)
Because I was also laughing at my friend for his crappy radeon!!
Old 05-01-07, 07:12 PM   #116
kriko
openSuSE11

djdoo, I know, but still I don't find ATI as competitor at this moment (for linux area), they dropped support for cards older than radeon 9600, which they could run beryl (yes, they have an old legacy driver, but it doesn't work on newer kernels). Here nvidia is better.
But the best of all I think is Intel. They've opened their drivers, but still those graphic chips are not so powerfull as nvidia or ati. So, actually there is no graphic vendor, that linux users can be fully satisfied with.

Old 05-01-07, 07:33 PM   #117
djdoo
*BANNED*

Yes I totally agree with you. But I see dramatic changes in ati's linux drivers (for example OpenGL version from 1.5 ->2.0 and new control center localized,beryl working,but their policy for older cards really sucks! Capitalism you see they just want to sell more and more...)
I think nvidia thinks that they have the linux throne but if they continue this policy(just give support for newer cards and not solve serious problems) they will lose it!
Now for intel I think they don't have serious profit from GPUs(that's why their chips are not as powerful as nvidia or ati) so they got rid developing their linux drivers by making them open!
Old 05-01-07, 07:34 PM   #118
adamk75

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdoo
Just to mention the crappy radeon you said has a full speed increasing linux support with new drivers coming every 2 weeks from AMD (not to say earlier) and with very serious fixes under the hood!
This driver from AMD, which you are so excited about, does not support texture_from_pixmap at all. It does not support Composite and Direct Rendering at the same time. Even more, benchmarks have shown no noticeable improvement in performance in the last year. In fact, an nvidia GF 6600GT easily outperforms a Radeon x1950Pro at Doom3 and UT2004 under linux.

There have been few serious fixes in the driver... Mostly the changes have preliminary support for newer cards and a new control panel.

AMD/ATI does not deserve any praise for their drivers.

Adam
Old 05-01-07, 07:41 PM   #119
adamk75

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdoo
Yes I totally agree with you. But I see dramatic changes in ati's linux drivers (for example OpenGL version from 1.5 ->2.0 and new control center localized,beryl working,but their policy for older cards really sucks! Capitalism you see they just want to sell more and more...)
Beryl only works on the fglrx drivers with Xgl. In other words, they have not implemented texture_from_pixmap or Composite+DRI, and are simply getting away with allowing beryl to run by taking advantage of other developers work on those features in Xgl.

Quote:
I think nvidia thinks that they have the linux throne but if they continue this policy(just give support for newer cards and not solve serious problems) they will lose it!
nVidia supports the last 6 generations of cards in the 1.0-9*** series drivers. While it's true that some GF2 cards, and anything older, are forced to use the 7185 drivers, the matter is that those cards to too old to run beryl/compiz effectively anyway. Not to mention that those 7185 drivers are about 11 days old. So, believe it or not, nvidia does not just give support for newer cards.

Quote:
Now for intel I think they don't have serious profit from GPUs(that's why their chips are not as powerful as nvidia or ati) so they got rid developing their linux drivers by making them open!
Intel actually has some developers on staff to work on their open source drivers. Eric Anholt comes to mind.

Adam
Old 05-01-07, 07:46 PM   #120
djdoo
*BANNED*

Don't rush!!
Future will show the truth!
Closed Thread