Closed Thread

Old 05-05-07, 07:41 PM   #181
Tanker Bob
Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64

Default Re: beryl black windows bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdoo
A personal question Bob:
Why does so many people use Kubuntu-Ubuntu cause I found those systems basically very poor in software provided in their cd's and you don't have many options in installation too. You must be connected to the internet all the time to download thousants of debs to solve various dependences!! And also only KDE or Gnome? (You can answer me in private if you want in order not to comfuse the thread)
Hi djdoo,

I like Kubuntu for a number of reasons:

1) The developer commitment is high and the six-month update cycle virtually ensures increased capability on a regular basis. There's a ton of software in the repositories, covering virtually every task of which on can think.

2) It installs easily and sets up quickly. Yes, it downloads stuff from the web during install, but this isn't a factor on broadband. The live CD works great as a test of one's hardware compatibility. Gentoo was the other distro that caught my interest, but I don't have that kind of free time.

3) Because it's based on Debian, there are few if any dependency problems unlike SUSE and some other packages. It also has a utility called "alien" which converts RPM packages to DEB, resolving dependencies in the process. I see the downloads to fulfill dependencies as a very good thing.

4) Stability is consistently good, including the x86-64 version. Oh, and they have an x86-64 version. Routine maintenance is very easy.

5) Great community support. There are tons of HOWTOs to do virtually everything. I've rarely encountered an issue for which I couldn't find an answer by searching the forums or reading the Wikis and HOWTOs.

6) Kubuntu over Ubuntu because I'm very fond of the KDE desktop and associated applications, especially the Krusader file manager and the KPackage updater/installer. It puts the user in better control of the system than Gnome in my opinion. Plus, I don't care much for Ubuntu's ubiquitous brown--KDE's underlying blue suits my taste better.

There are probably a bunch of things that I'm forgetting. If you visit my blog, I have a series of posts about my decision to move to Kubuntu as well as the initial setup. You will find some of the discussion very basic, but the decision process may interest you.

In the end, Linux distro selections come down to a matter personal taste. Kubuntu suits mine very well. I tried Fedora on a nephew's PC and toyed with SUSE, but ended up with Kubuntu where I believe that I'll stay. YMMV.

As to this thread, I designed my new system around available Linux support. Near the top of that list was an NVIDIA-based graphics card. No other card maker has the combination of outstanding performance and good support that NVIDIA maintains. Your work-around for the black window bug is working fine with negligible loss of performance.
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L MB, Q9650 Core 2 Quad @ 3.3 GHz (OC), 8 GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 SDRAM, EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS w/640MB, 40 GB Intel SSD, 2.0 TB x2 SATA RAID1, Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64
Old 05-05-07, 09:05 PM   #182
djdoo
*BANNED*

Thank you for your detailed answer Bob!
By the way does BackingStore works for you?
Old 05-05-07, 09:09 PM   #183
Tanker Bob
Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdoo
Thank you for your detailed answer Bob!
By the way does BackingStore works for you?
Working fine here so far.
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L MB, Q9650 Core 2 Quad @ 3.3 GHz (OC), 8 GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 SDRAM, EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS w/640MB, 40 GB Intel SSD, 2.0 TB x2 SATA RAID1, Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64
Old 05-06-07, 05:52 AM   #184
XomboX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriko
@XomboX: try djdoo settings, posted above. They work for me (except backingstore)
Did not help :-(

@Tanker Bob: start looking for a good cover, man! I am Ubuntu user ;-)
Old 05-06-07, 06:07 PM   #185
kriko
openSuSE11

I'm reporting that after switching to 64-bit os backingstore still causes previously mentioned freezes.

opensuse 10.2 with custom 2.6.21 x64 kernel
using nvidia agp module
gigabyte gak8ns pro with nforce3 chipset
geforce 6600GT
Old 05-06-07, 06:15 PM   #186
djdoo
*BANNED*

Exclamation Re: beryl black windows bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by XomboX
Did not help :-(
You followed every step I gave? Even with "force AIGLX" the bug was there?
Do you run 9755 driver or the new beta one?

Cause with the new beta driver (for a reason I cannot understand) my settings do NOT work!! If you use beta driver remove it and install 9755 then try the settings again and tell us your experience with more detailes!!
Old 05-06-07, 06:18 PM   #187
Tanker Bob
Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64

kriko - Maybe it's related to the AGP interface support?
Old 05-06-07, 06:22 PM   #188
kriko
openSuSE11

Yes, probably. I tried with nvidia agp and agpgart.

Old 05-06-07, 06:32 PM   #189
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriko
I'm reporting that after switching to 64-bit os backingstore still causes previously mentioned freezes.

opensuse 10.2 with custom 2.6.21 x64 kernel
using nvidia agp module
gigabyte gak8ns pro with nforce3 chipset
geforce 6600GT
Hmmm... Maybe the problem is related with your card specifically...
Maybe if you try not to use any 'vendor'_agp module?? Blacklist nvidia_agp and check again...
Cause I also did that but not for that reason... I did it in order to use suspend2ram! Helped a bit (the system opens again but stops somewhere)
Perhaps this helps cause I enabled BackingStore after blacklisting nvidia_agp

And also do you have AGP FastWrites enabled? Check this out also go to /proc/driver/nvidia/agp and open 'status' file cause FastWrites is not enabled by default...
Old 05-06-07, 06:34 PM   #190
kriko
openSuSE11

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Code:
Driver:          NVIDIA
AGP Rate:        8x
Fast Writes:     Enabled
SBA:             Enabled
Everything is enabled. You think I should disable fastwrite and try with agpgart?
Old 05-06-07, 06:39 PM   #191
djdoo
*BANNED*

Use just agpgart and leave Fastwrites enabled cause this way we will have the same setup for agp and as you already know I don't face any problem with BackingStore...

Another question:
How do you feel your new 64bit system?? Any problems?
Old 05-06-07, 06:42 PM   #192
kriko
openSuSE11

It runs excellent, very responsive, seems like applications runs faster (noticable smaller application startup times), multimedia also feels faster. I changed kernel to 2.6.21 and also threw stuff out that I don't need. I'm really satisfied with it.
Closed Thread