Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-07, 10:08 PM   #205
djdoo
*BANNED*

Default Re: beryl black windows bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Bob
I'm an overclocker so don't use it myself, but there's a good article about it here.
Thanks a lot Bob!!
The article is pretty good and detailed! Solved many of my questions!!
Old 05-08-07, 08:31 AM   #206
XomboX

to djdoo:
I followed your tutorial step by step, but I still have the same black window bug. Anyway the beryl goes a bit smoother now. So thx for that.
My kernel is 2.6.120-15-generic. I installed 9775 driver trough synaptic by installing nvidia-glx-new package.
Old 05-09-07, 02:39 PM   #207
BrianzaMan
Dragon Flame

I had this bug yesterday.

Switching to AIGLX rendering (instead of NVIDIA) seems to solve the problem, but I'm not 100% sure. I've tried to Open 60 Konqueror windows on AIGLX and no problem. Then I tried with 60 windows on NVIDIA and I experienced the black window bug after 40 or so.

Bye
Old 05-09-07, 07:09 PM   #208
michael48

Hi all!
I've read the thread through...
I have an ASUS M2NPV-VM with GeForce 6150 built in, 256Mb Video RAM.
I am using Xorg 7.2.0 release (compiled by myself) and beryl-svn compiled by myself (about 1 month old), running Slackware 11.0 with Garnome 2.18 ALSO compiled by myself ...
Kernel 2.6.21, 1 GB RAM on board...
I am using nvidia 97.55 drivers.
X configuration identical to what djdoo was suggesting...
If I use AIGLX + Tfp everything is terrbily slow.
If I use NVIDIA rendering + Copy I don't see any dramatic performance drop...
How can that be??
If I use NVIDIA + TfP I have a severe black window bug... also the drop down menus are black, the gnome-terminal window is completely transparent...
And what about switching to a text console and coming back?
I hope to be able to share something with you, since these issues are really annoying.
Thanx in advance.
Michael
Old 05-09-07, 08:16 PM   #209
djdoo
*BANNED*

to michael48:
I said XGL binding makes the difference for performance with AIGLX+tfp. If you use auto it will be terribly slow as you said. Use all my five Beryl settings in post #167 and then tell us what happened!!
Old 05-09-07, 08:22 PM   #210
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XomboX
to djdoo:
I followed your tutorial step by step, but I still have the same black window bug. Anyway the beryl goes a bit smoother now. So thx for that.
My kernel is 2.6.120-15-generic. I installed 9775 driver trough synaptic by installing nvidia-glx-new package.
I also said that my Beryl settings seems to work with drivers 9755 and back, legacy 9631 those drivers are posted here in the thread by some folks to work.
So my suggestion for you is uninstall 9775 driver(what's that version anyway?)
and install 9755 from nvidia's site(the classic .run file) and tell us what happened...
Old 05-10-07, 06:26 PM   #211
djdoo
*BANNED*

to kriko:
There are 2 new threads about that Xid stuff you faced:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91091
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91256
I've read them but no solution was given by netllama or anyone else! But maybe they can help you a bit...
Old 05-10-07, 06:52 PM   #212
Tanker Bob
Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64

djdoo,

After several days of running your settings, I have not encountered any window problems. Performance has been excellent. Looks like you've found a winner, thanks!
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L MB, Q9650 Core 2 Quad @ 3.3 GHz (OC), 8 GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 SDRAM, EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS w/640MB, 40 GB Intel SSD, 2.0 TB x2 SATA RAID1, Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64

Old 05-10-07, 07:15 PM   #213
michael48

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdoo
to michael48:
I said XGL binding makes the difference for performance with AIGLX+tfp. If you use auto it will be terribly slow as you said. Use all my five Beryl settings in post #167 and then tell us what happened!!
Djdoo,
I have applied all of your settings and everything's working just fine... System is very fast and no black windows.
BUT, I have now another question (to you and all thread):
Is anyone of you guys trying to use beryl desktop manager (bdm)??
If I use it under your configuration, djdoo, bad things start to happen.
Windows do not receive focus anymore, nor are they redrawn when receiving new events...
Has anyone some experience about this? I am running beryl-svn with bdm to enable the four pictures on the 4 sides of the cube..
Hope this question is not otu of topic... If it is, so just sorry in advance.
Old 05-10-07, 08:43 PM   #214
ari.reads

Hi djdoo, can you post your full xorg.conf contents, instead of just the "additional options"? My xorg.conf looks like it's messed up, and upon initial load, for some reason Emerald (the window decorator) dies. When I hit "Reload Window Decorator" then it gets fixed, but this is annoying.

PS. A wiki page in Beryl's site with your full howto would also be a good idea (again, with full xorg.conf contents :-), current's Beryl-project nvidia wiki is really lame.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-10-07, 09:58 PM   #215
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari.reads
Hi djdoo, can you post your full xorg.conf contents, instead of just the "additional options"? My xorg.conf looks like it's messed up, and upon initial load, for some reason Emerald (the window decorator) dies. When I hit "Reload Window Decorator" then it gets fixed, but this is annoying.

PS. A wiki page in Beryl's site with your full howto would also be a good idea (again, with full xorg.conf contents :-), current's Beryl-project nvidia wiki is really lame.

Thanks a bunch!
Of course I can and Thank You All for your nice words!!!
I 'm really glad my tryings gave good results to a lot of folks out there!!
For wiki page in beryl's site hmmm...I don't know maybe if we had more feedback to stabilize some detailes and do more finetuning... maybe then...
Here's my xorg.conf: The options I gave is the only ones you need to run Beryl!!
Attached Files
File Type: gz xorg.conf.tar.gz (1.7 KB, 155 views)
Old 05-10-07, 10:08 PM   #216
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael48
Djdoo,
I have applied all of your settings and everything's working just fine... System is very fast and no black windows.
BUT, I have now another question (to you and all thread):
Is anyone of you guys trying to use beryl desktop manager (bdm)??
If I use it under your configuration, djdoo, bad things start to happen.
Windows do not receive focus anymore, nor are they redrawn when receiving new events...
Has anyone some experience about this? I am running beryl-svn with bdm to enable the four pictures on the 4 sides of the cube..
Hope this question is not otu of topic... If it is, so just sorry in advance.
You mean beryl-manager or the setting for "Desktop manager supports viewports"=1 ?? I'm a bit comfused... I also run beryl-svn!
Closed Thread