Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-07, 09:15 PM   #217
djdoo
*BANNED*

Default Re: beryl black windows bug

Something more:
For all the folks out there who tryied my suggestion settings in post #167 please sent us your experiences as detailed as possible...
Maybe we can make a valuable wiki page in beryl's site for this problem as ari.reads suggested!!

Oh and also tell me about BackingStore option... Did it work for you??

I'm waiting for your posts...
Old 05-11-07, 01:07 AM   #218
XomboX

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdoo
I also said that my Beryl settings seems to work with drivers 9755 and back, legacy 9631 those drivers are posted here in the thread by some folks to work.
So my suggestion for you is uninstall 9775 driver(what's that version anyway?)
and install 9755 from nvidia's site(the classic .run file) and tell us what happened...
Ouhh, sorry, my mistake. I do have drivers 9755. Actually I can remember that I did not have this problem on Ubuntu Edgy Eft but I do not know which drivers I was runing there.
My black window bugs appears after one or two openend windows.
Old 05-11-07, 09:38 AM   #219
ari.reads

Quote:
Something more:
For all the folks out there who tryied my suggestion settings in post #167 please sent us your experiences as detailed as possible...
Maybe we can make a valuable wiki page in beryl's site for this problem as ari.reads suggested!!

Oh and also tell me about BackingStore option... Did it work for you??

I'm waiting for your posts...

Hi djdoo,

I've been using your settings and everything is working fine for me.
However, I had to modify my xorg.conf "Options" to match yours, because mine had several other options and modules that yours doesn't, and initially this was causing emerald (window decorator) to crash.

I'm using the BackingStore option with no problems.

Performance is fine, effects are quite smooth and there are no black windows, but of course I notice cpu impact when using the desktop effects. When using "Force NVIDIA" and the other default beryl settings, the CPU impact is much lower and effects are even smoother, but of course I get the annoying black windows.

As I don't think NVIDIA cares about us Linux users at all (I've been waiting for this bug to be fixed for more months I can remember), a Wiki summarizing all your findings would be really useful.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-07, 05:00 PM   #220
michael48

Quote:
You mean beryl-manager or the setting for "Desktop manager supports viewports"=1 ?? I'm a bit comfused... I also run beryl-svn!
I mean the application, whose executable is `bdm'. When you use the desktop cube this application draws up to four different backgrounds on every side of the cube. If I run your settings with bdm running, I can get only one working window, but if I open another one, well, even if it is not a black one, it doesn't work, it doesn't receive events from the system, unless I resize it. Then it gets updated, but I still can't type anything in it.
I really think that this whole thing has something to do with video RAM. Beryl is very video ram demanding. For example bad things starts to happen if I run my desktop with a 1280x1024 resolution, with or without 4 different wallpapers (bdm), and with desktop effects and with desktop cube enabled... I switched down to 1024x768 and things go as smooth as never. I only have 256Mb of video RAM on my GPU. Djdoo how much RAM do you have on your graphics card? Can it be that the whole black window bug goes automagically away if you run a card with *at least* 512Mb??
Old 05-11-07, 05:04 PM   #221
djdoo
*BANNED*

I've also noticed some more CPU usage with these settings but it's no big deal!!
The strange is that with this setup I get higher performance in 3d games than with Nvidia mode and auto settings!! Does this happen to you too?
Just beryl effects are slightly less smooth but again no big deal!!
Old 05-11-07, 05:11 PM   #222
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael48
I mean the application, whose executable is `bdm'. When you use the desktop cube this application draws up to four different backgrounds on every side of the cube. If I run your settings with bdm running, I can get only one working window, but if I open another one, well, even if it is not a black one, it doesn't work, it doesn't receive events from the system, unless I resize it. Then it gets updated, but I still can't type anything in it.
I really think that this whole thing has something to do with video RAM. Beryl is very video ram demanding. For example bad things starts to happen if I run my desktop with a 1280x1024 resolution, with or without 4 different wallpapers (bdm), and with desktop effects and with desktop cube enabled... I switched down to 1024x768 and things go as smooth as never. I only have 256Mb of video RAM on my GPU. Djdoo how much RAM do you have on your graphics card? Can it be that the whole black window bug goes automagically away if you run a card with *at least* 512Mb??
I use an old FX 5200 with 128mb video RAM! My resolution is 1024x768 and I have never tried the 4 different wallpapers but I tried a transparent "cube" with 8 desktops! and all good! Maybe this happens from beryl... Do you use "XGL rendering" or "Indirect rendering" cause these days I ve noticed some differences in stability when testing this option!
Old 05-11-07, 05:16 PM   #223
michael48

Quote:
I use an old FX 5200 with 128mb video RAM! My resolution is 1024x768 and I have never tried the 4 different wallpapers but I tried a transparent "cube" with 8 desktops! and all good! Maybe this happens from beryl... Do you use "XGL rendering" or "Indirect rendering" cause these days I ve noticed some differences in stability when testing this option!
I use XGL rendering as you suggested. But I still underline that this has to do with video RAM!!! I am going soon to buy a more powerful card with 512Mb. For example GeForce 7800 or 7600 PCI-Exp with 512Mb. I think all these probs are going away with that memory amount, even running in 1280x1024. I also use transparent cube, but the bdm eats up lots of memory!! And the evidence of what I suspect is that if I resize the not responding window to a very small size, it gets working... if i make it larger doesn't work anymore...
And i also use BackingStore witohut problems...
Old 05-11-07, 05:18 PM   #224
djdoo
*BANNED*

to michael48:
How do you set another wallpaper for another side of cube?
Cause I ve checked what U said and I have only 1 good cube side the other 3 does not exist anymore if I set Desktop manager support viewports=1(I think bdm is the exec for this option).

Old 05-11-07, 05:20 PM   #225
djdoo
*BANNED*

Also check "Indirect rendering" I think it is faster!
Old 05-11-07, 05:27 PM   #226
michael48

Quote:
to michael48:
How do you set another wallpaper for another side of cube?
Cause I ve checked what U said and I have only 1 good cube side the other 3 does not exist anymore if I set Desktop manager support viewports=1(I think bdm is the exec for this option).
Oh well, you have of course to compile the bdm executable which is under a dir in the beryl svn or git tree... Then you must prepare your images, and write a bdm configuration file in ~/.bdm: wallpaper.list, like this:
[wallpapers]
1=/media/Disc2/images/beryl/moon.png
2=/media/Disc2/images/beryl/venus2.png
3=/media/Disc2/images/beryl/saturn.png
4=/media/Disc2/images/beryl/mercury.png
Then you can start your beryl session and manually run bdm from a console window or from a script... now all of your desktop cube sides have a different wallpaper: but depending on wallpapers size and weight you get lots of ram consumed...
Old 05-11-07, 05:29 PM   #227
djdoo
*BANNED*

to michael48
I cannot find this bdm executable U said!! Where is it located in beryl's files?
Old 05-11-07, 05:34 PM   #228
djdoo
*BANNED*

Oh I see!! A bit difficult thought!! I use beryl-svn but I installed it with RPMs not compiled it from source!! That's why I cannot find it!!
Tell me something when U run bdm do you set the setting Desktop manager supports viewports=1 or you have it =0?
Closed Thread